Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!

Is there anyone else in here with me? If so, what are you planning on having as the meal choices.

We are just starting to get together ideas for the planning. 
Smile

Thank you!
imageimageAnniversary

Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!

• Options
    It's sort of a hotly debated topic on the boards.

I'm assuming you are vegetarian, but are all of you guests as well?  Having an all vegetarian reception is like a meat eater having all meat dishes and NO vegetarian options.  Wouldn't be offended if you went to a wedding where there were no vegetarian options?  Well that's how a meat eater might feel.  I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that, I'd make due, but just something to think about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Fi and I both are vegetarians. His entire family as well as mine, as well as our friends are very familiar with the fact that we don't eat meat.
    And we refuse to pay for a dead animal for anyone to eat, when we don't buy it for ourselves at home.

So, just ideas for menu suggestions would be great :))
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but there are several vegatarian items that I love to see at weddings. As I was writing this, I was thinking ... maybe you could do the whole reception as a cocktail-style meal, with lots of hors d'oeuvres and some action stations. Personally, I don't know if I'd find a big vegetarian entree all that appetizing, but I think I'd be a lot more excited about the all-vegetarian menu if I got to sample lots of little things. So that's my suggestion, do a cocktail reception instead of a meal, but that's obviously your call.

I really like pasta stations when I go to a wedding (this is very common at cocktail hours in my area), where someone has a skillet and prepares a dish of pasta right in front of you. You pick the pasta and the sauce, then they can add in things like cheese, peas, shrimp (not sure if you are O.K. with serving seafood), garlic, onions, etc. Sometimes it comes with fresh rolls or breadsticks. Penne with vodka sauce is my favorite.

You could do gourmet pizzas, portobello mushrooms, or eggplant in chafing dishes. Mashed potato stations are really popular now, too ... serve mashed potatoes (regular potatoes and sweet potatoes if you want) in martini glasses and let people pick their garnishes - roasted garlic, shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream. You could do a risotto station, or a wok station with rice, lo mein, and with vegetable/tofu stir-fry. You could do sushi or rolls ... lots of rolls are vegetarian and don't have fish, if you are opposed to seafood.

You could do shot glasses of soup or a soup station - French onion, butternut squash, roasted vegetable, miso ... I've seen cute pics of tomato soup shot glasses with a small triangle of grilled cheese sandwich perched on the rim: http://www.haroldcatering.com/images/apps-grilled-cheese-with-tomato-soup.jpg

Great passed appetizers: stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs, brie in puffed pastry, fresh mozzarella with tomatoes (maybe you can have a station where someone actually makes the fresh cheese), assorted dips and hummus with crackers and vegetable sticks (my vegetarian sister LOVES hummus, and even my meat-loving FI loves it now as well), tea sandwiches (egg salad, cucumber, watercress), guacamole and salsa with pita chips, baby roasted potatoes with sour cream and chives, mini quiches.
  • Options
    This is a hotly debated topic, and I still can't believe that people think that someone who is morally opposed to eating meat should have to serve it.  It's no different than demanding that Southern Baptists serve booze.

Anyway, I love the idea of doing stations.  A pasta station and some kind of stir fry or asian station would work well.  Just serve a variety of foods, and be mindful that a lot of meat eaters will balk at things like tofu, but will be totally fine with a great pasta dish with veggies and cheese. 
  • Options
    I think a buffet or stations work well for a veg reception. mbcdefg made some tasty suggestions in her very thorough post. And, I'll reiterate her point about some guests not being thrilled with a plated veg entree, but really liking a variety of veg selections to load up on.

These days, there are a lot of good vegeterian caterers or general caterers that have developed a veg niche. Since you're in a large metro area like Chicago, you should have  some good options. If you tell the caterer that you're looking for a menu that would appeal to non-vegetarians, you should get some good ideas.
  • Options
    Definitely nix the tofu.  But there are a lot of great options that don't involve meat.  I think mbcdefg has some really great options, and I agree that doing it cocktail style will probably draw the least objections from any hardcore carnivores that might be in attendance.  If you're leaning toward a seated meal, I think some kind of pasta entree would be best, like a veggie lasagna.

The biggest objection that I think most people have to veggie receptions is that they feel vegetarian food isn't very filling.  So as long as you make sure there are plenty of filling options, your guests will leave happy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I am all about respecting the beliefs of others.  If you and your FI are both against meat-eating then your reception should reflect that.  But please make sure (as others have suggested) that you offer filling veg selections. 

I went to a veg wedding last year and it was horrible.  It was almost all leafy greens and steamed veggies and it was neither filling nor appetizing.  DH doesn't even like lettuce so there was really nothing he could eat and a lot of the guests were unhappy and left early and hungry to go find something to eat.

mbc had some awesome suggestions!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am doing a vegetarian reception. I am a vegetarian, as are both of my bridesmaids and my brother. My FI is not, but he is also very much for a vegetarian reception. (Though our rehearsal dinner, which is being hosted by his parents, will have meat options.) Basically - I'm paying for the meal, I'm not paying to serve something I don't believe in. Unlike me being at a BBQ, everyone will be able to eat the food we serve. I'm quite the foodie, so I'm sure the food will be good. If you have good food, I bet most people won't even notice it's a totally vegetarian reception.

I know 2 of our passed apps during cocktail will be mini vegetable pizzas and brie quesadillas with mango chutney. I'm debating a few others. I'd also like to have a nice display of cheese if we can manage it.

I'd definitely skip tofu or fake meat. We'll have a choice of salad or (vegetarian) soup for a starter. One of the main dishes will be a risotto with a side of seasonal vegetables. The other has yet to be decided. My caterer's mom is vegan and he's worked at health restaurants before, so he knows what he's doing. Third course will be a selection of desserts, and wedding cake.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We aren't vegetarian although we have enough of our friends that are veggies or vegans so we are offering alternatives for them as well so they don't have to eat just salad and fruit.

I know that you don't have to limit yourself to vegetable only items.  We are offering shepherd's pie and cocktail sausages  both of which can be made vegan.  There are alot of vegetable protein items that can be made into anything that you would normally use ground beef for.  I know I found alot of folks who actually used it to make meat sauce for spaghetti and lasagna and also for meatloaf. 

I think if more carnivorous folks knew about the RVP items and had them cooked well I don't think they would miss the meat so much and be so offended at a vegetarian reception.

Also, we're having a vegan cake made for the folks that are vegan, don't forget the desserts and cakes!!!
  • Options
    The only real suggestion I have (Since malphabet covered like everything ever, lol) would be please skip the tofu.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Mmmm......I just had dinner, but am some how hungry again :)))

Everything you guys talked about sounds delish!! I am soo excited to start menu planning. 

As much as I would like to we are going to be staying away from tofu and Seitan....
    I really like the idea of the different types of pizza.....
    And I am starting to think more about the apps and cocktail hour and stations, thanks to YOU! 
    Laughing

msmerymac: did you write on your invitations about it being a veggie recep?
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    Karann, here is my response to your post on the Cake board:

Ours is pretty much vegetarian until the main course, but feel free to use any of our ideas. FI and I are meat eaters, but you can tell that we also love veggie. There is cheese.. so I guess it depends on what type of veggie you are. We are serving family style.

Appetizer plate- Babaghanoush, hummus, olives, some sort of bosnian bread, radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and feta.

Salad: Arugula with marinated tomatoes and goat cheese.

Vegetable #1- Roasted eggplant stuffed with tomatoes, cheese, pine nuts, and some other stuff. , basically its 1/2 eggplant per person. HUGE Serving

Vegetable #2- Root Veggie Baklava- puff pastry layered with potatoes, leeks, fennel, carrots, and parsnips, seasoned with dill

Side dish- Polenta squares

Our main dish is beef pot roast, but you I can tell you that after eating everything above during our tasting, I had no room for beef. I'd say you could add a cool soup, or even another veggie dish as a main course.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm from the South, so my thoughts immediately go to a real, homemade mac & cheese. It's really filling, and no meat-eater I know would feel deprived. Plus, lots of caterers already serve dressed up versions with truffle oil, or gourmet cheeses. It could totally work with the cocktail reception, too. Just have the caterer bake the mac & cheese in personal sized ramekins!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If people are still hungry after my vegetarian reception, they can hit the local McDonald's.  Sorry, but that's how it is.  I spent years at their weddings being served the limp overcooked vegetable sides on a plate without the main dish, because that used to be all caterers did.  And, if I was really lucky, the appetizers would include a cheese/cracker plate so I could get something with actual substance.

The caterer we picked had delicious stuff, was willing to think outside the pasta/mushroom/cheese triangle, and there will be all-you can eat rolls for anyone who feels personally affronted by green vegetables. 

There won't be any tofu or seitan because we did go with a more traditional caterer, who doesn't tend to work with them.   And they definitely are ingredients that benefit from knowing what you're doing.  I'd say if you want to include them, have them be a subset of the appetizers/hors d'oeuvres so that people who want to avoid them can, and those who want to try new things can do so with little bites.

Thankfully, my fiance, despite not being vegetarian, is all for this plan. 

I'm not planning to mention it on the invitation, since it will be buffet and thus no entree choice required.  There will be a note to contact me about any special needs.  (This is mainly to catch any nut allergies I didn't know about since there are a lot of nuts on the menu.)

Edit: as for menu suggestions, make a list of ingredients/foods you like, and start talking to caterers.  They'll have ideas on how to balance out the meal once you have some dishes you like set up. 
  • Options
    These ideas all sound great! I am vegetarian and we are doing it all pescetarian- everything will be veggie apart from one of the entrees we offer will be fish.

We are thinking of doing an Italian theme- offering dishes such as mushroom ravioli, wild mushroom risotto, fettucine alfredo, eggplant parm, baked ziti- I have seen plenty of my hardcore meat loving family members order these dishes in restaurants, they are perfectly mainstream and filling meals. 

Although I am a worried about the idea of having a dish with marinara sauce... with the white dress... hmmm.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Quite a few of my guests are vegetarian, and I am as well, so most of our family is used to vegetarian food. We're having a buffet with three options. We're going to have two meat dishes for the meat-eaters, and the vegetarians will be served a wondrous eggplant dish by plate. It consists of three medallions of eggplant breaded with plantain crumbs and baked, with cheese and tomato sauce. It's amazing. All of the hors d'eourves will be vegetarian. There's nothing I hate more than having to walk around and ask, "Does this have meat in it? Does this have meat in it? Does this have meat in it?" so I'd like to keep that simple.

I've been to weddings before where they literally had NOTHING to offer me as a vegetarian; I just sat there and watched everyone else eat. I'm just trying to extend a courtesy to all my guests that I have often not been afforded. The food at the restaurant we are having our reception at is practically world-renowned, so I want to give my guests options. Most of my guests are flying down from New Jersey, also. I want to make sure I feed them something to make the trip worthwhile. My guests enjoying themselves is my only concern, but I've never been a pushy/preachy vegetarian. To each his own. You can't change the world alone, you know? Even if you don't want to pay money for meat, there are thousands of others who will. I just don't think that a wedding is the appropriate place for politics.

I'm trying to think of it like I'm taking all my guests out to dinner. Would you really offer to take someone out to dinner at a restaurant, but tell them they can't order anything with meat?

That's just me. Though I think I might feel a little differently if my fiance were vegetarian as well.

• Options
    I went to a funeral where the reception afterwards was a potluck vegan meal.  It was awesome no one went home hungry or missed the meat in the meal and dairy was defintely not an option.  I am a steak and potatoes girl and i fully appreciated what they had to offer, dont let anyone tell you something otherwise.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:8e17b0af-beca-4bdb-803e-e9f060acd5a6">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to weddings before where they literally had NOTHING to offer me as a vegetarian; I just sat there and watched everyone else eat. Posted by lifequestion[/QUOTE]

This would be me at a vegetarian reception.  I don't eat fruit and never have.  I don't eat very many vegetables outside of starchy ones (potatoes, corn, etc.)  While some of the meals mentioned by mbcdefg sounded ok, and I would definitely do my best to make do (maybe pick the vegetables off the pizza or hoard an entire basket of all-you-can-eat rolls that a pp said they were having), I would probably appreciate a heads up somehow (on the invitation, on an insert in the invitation, word of mouth, SOMEHOW) that the reception would be vegetarian.  That way I could eat something before I came so that if I couldn't find anything AT the reception, I wouldn't be forced to leave early due to hunger.

By all means if you are opposed to serving meat, then don't serve it.  If you know of people you're inviting that are like me (I know it's rare to find someone who absolutely doesn't eat vegetables, but it happens; I actually have two other friends that are just like me when it comes to this), you can always just call and give them some sort of notice as to the menu.  However, chances are if your guests know you well and know your beliefs, they can guess that your menu will be mostly, if not solely, vegetarian. 

I guess this is just a meat-only-eater begging on behalf of other meat-only-eaters, please just let us know so we can make arrangements if need be.  :-)  Good luck with choosing your menu!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    can i just say......

i.love.you.guys.

:)))))))))))))

And, I don't feel bad AT ALL about people that don't "like" veggies or fruit. deal with it, like someone else said we have to sit through the crap carrots at the people that are meat esaters. at least these are some pretty delish meals :))
    and, i don't think that we will write it on the invite. putting my foot down starting.......
    *NOW!*

then again, i am biased!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't understand why people need to be warned that the meals will be vegetarian any more than people need to be warned about any other meal... Whatever meals are served, some people will not like them, and vegetarian meals are no more likely to exclude people than any others. In fact, vegetarian meals are the most inclusive of all because a lot of people restrict meat for religious as well as moral reasons, and at a veggie reception the only people who won't be happy are the ones who don't like the taste of the particular dish. But you could serve steak and that would exclude the people who eat most meats but just don't like red meat... you could serve lamb and some people won't like the taste even if they eat every other type of meat... should you have warned them? I just can not see how it is about meat vs no meat.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:80fa170e-16ed-4002-bde3-4c0b23faa390">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand why people need to be warned that the meals will be vegetarian any more than people need to be warned about any other meal... Whatever meals are served, some people will not like them, and vegetarian meals are no more likely to exclude people than any others. In fact, vegetarian meals are the most inclusive of all because a lot of people restrict meat for religious as well as moral reasons, and at a veggie reception the only people who won't be happy are the ones who don't like the taste of the particular dish. But you could serve steak and that would exclude the people who eat most meats but just don't like red meat... you could serve lamb and some people won't like the taste even if they eat every other type of meat... should you have warned them? I just can not see how it is about meat vs no meat.
    Posted by chrob[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry this post is ridiculous because most wedding receptions do offer a variety of options because there are people with varying tastes.  Most receptions include the choice of chicken, red meat (usually beef), vegetarian, and seafood.  Seafood is sometimes left out due to budget constraints.   <div>
    </div><div>Now, I have no problem with a vegetarian reception myself.  My FI would be miserable and probably not attend if he knew about it ahead of time.  When it comes to weddings, most people do what will accommodate the majority of the guests.  Since, the majority of her guests are vegetarian, it should be fine.  If she and her FI were the lone wolves, then it would be rude to have a vegetarian reception in my opinion. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:ff509eab-b413-453f-a02d-438c75609caa">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!! : I'm sorry this post is ridiculous because most wedding receptions do offer a variety of options because there are people with varying tastes.  Most receptions include the choice of chicken, red meat (usually beef), vegetarian, and seafood.  Seafood is sometimes left out due to budget constraints.    
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

<div>I have never been to a wedding which offers all 4 choices...if you think it's rude to only offer one option, that's fair enough but I still don't see how it has anything to do with whether or not it's meat. In that case if someone only offered one meat, should they still warn people in case it happens to be the meat they don't like?</div><div>
    </div><div>There is enough variety on the meatless spectrum to offer plenty of choice for different tastes. Are there really people out there who will not eat a single meatless meal? Not even a plate of mac and cheese? </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:2d717736-1e38-40dc-b68c-38d06eb56ce9">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!! : I have never been to a wedding which offers all 4 choices...if you think it's rude to only offer one option, that's fair enough but I still don't see how it has anything to do with whether or not it's meat. In that case if someone only offered one meat, should they still warn people in case it happens to be the meat they don't like? There is enough variety on the meatless spectrum to offer plenty of choice for different tastes. Are there really people out there who will not eat a single meatless meal? Not even a plate of mac and cheese? 
    Posted by chrob[/QUOTE]
    I don't think you understand.  My point was that most people include at least 3 different types of foods for the main dish. And if someone were to have a wedding where nothing but say pork is served, then they should find a way to let their guests know.  There are plenty of people out there that don't eat pork and should be forewarned.  I actually asked my Fi if he would attend a vegetarian reception and his answer was hell no. <div>
    </div><div> Anyway, the OP has made her decision and I hope it turns out well.  Maybe she should put it on her wedding website (if she will have one) that the reception will be serving only vegetarian foods.  Or if I were her, I would let those who I know enjoy meat know ahead of time by word of mouth.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:c5969c16-040b-44d9-a521-78126ced4581">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!! : I don't think you understand.  My point was that most people include at least 3 different types of foods for the main dish. And if someone were to have a wedding where nothing but say pork is served, then they should find a way to let their guests know.  There are plenty of people out there that don't eat pork and should be forewarned.  I actually asked my Fi if he would attend a vegetarian reception and his answer was hell no.   Anyway, the OP has made her decision and I hope it turns out well.  Maybe she should put it on her wedding website (if she will have one) that the reception will be serving only vegetarian foods.  Or if I were her, I would let those who I know enjoy meat know ahead of time by word of mouth.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I do understand, but my point was that you can offer 3-4 vegetarian dishes which are totally different from each other. Having 3 pork options means there is a common ingredient in all of them which doesn't have to be the case with veggie meals. One could be a mushroom pie, one could be a stuffed eggplant, one could be baked ziti, one could be cheese and spinach enchiladas... all totally different.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think news would get out by WOM naturally anyway, and people might already be expecting it. A lot of people have assumed my reception will be vegetarian and were surprised that we even planned to serve seafood. It depends if you just invite your nearest and dearest, or if you are inviting everyone and their mom, who don't necessarily know you enough to have an idea what to expect. </div>
  • Options
    For the record I do not mind a veggie reception. If I do not like the menu (for example I do not like eggplant) I will just not eat not a big deal to me.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:36747a68-92e0-4f86-832a-c1d11447562c">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]can i just say...... i.love.you.guys. :))))))))))))) <strong>And, I don't feel bad AT ALL about people that don't "like" veggies or fruit. deal with it, like someone else said we have to sit through the crap carrots at the people that are meat esaters.</strong>[/QUOTE]

It's the attitude in your comments that bother me.  Like it's tit for tat, you did this to me so now I'm going to make you suffer just like I did. 

As a good host, I go out of my way to make sure my guests are comfortable.  I would never intentional  serve food my guests might not eat just because I might have been served a meal I did not like in the past.

[QUOTE]<strong> at least these are some pretty delish meals</strong> :)) and, i don't think that we will write it on the invite. putting my foot down starting....... *NOW!* then again, i am biased!
    Posted by karann15[/QUOTE]

Why does every vegetarian use that line?   Dellicious meals are in the eyes of the beholder.  Me telling you that meat lagsna is delicious is not going make you like it , so why bother throwing in vegetarian meals are delicious?  People either like the ingrediants or they don't.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:36747a68-92e0-4f86-832a-c1d11447562c">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]can i just say...... i.love.you.guys. :))))))))))))) And, I don't feel bad AT ALL about people that don't "like" veggies or fruit. deal with it, like someone else said we have to sit through the crap carrots at the people that are meat esaters. at least these are some pretty delish meals :)) and, i don't think that we will write it on the invite. putting my foot down starting....... *NOW!* then again, i am biased!
    Posted by karann15[/QUOTE]

I was with you up to this point. This sounds extremely immature. The reception is a thank you to your guests, so having the attitude that they can just "deal with it" is pretty shiity, IMO.
  • Options
    Two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because you were forced to eat bland limp veggies at previous weddings doesn't mean you get to shove a meatless reception down everyone's throats in return.

I will say that FI and I would be fine with vegetarian meal choices, but we know A LOT of people who would be peeved.  Either they're just really meat and potatoes people or they are picky about their veggies; many won't eat eggplant, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, ect for whatever reason.

I would suggest adopting a less self-righteous attitude about it, and offer at least one meat option, as I would suggest to an herbivore to include at least one veggie option to account for those who are vegetarian or have religious reasons to avoid certain meats.  A chicken dish is the most widely accepted.

I'm sure some guests will appreciate you taking their tastes into account.  Think of how you felt eating those bland veggies and probably wished that they'd taken your food choices into consideration; you should extend them the same courtesy you would have liked.
  • Options
    You can do a veggie reception tastefully, tactfully, and maturely. Unfortunately, your tone is none of those things.

I'm vegetarian, and I originally wanted a vegetarian reception. FI and I were paying, and I didn't want to pay for something that I don't want any parts of. That was it. I was cool about it. I didn't say "people can deal with it" or bring up that I've had to eat only plain mashed potatoes at a wedding when I was assured there would be something I could eat (which I understood to be more than mashed potatoes. My bad, lol).

I was willing to accomodate a variety of tastes. Pasta is filling and usually a universal crowd-pleaser. Then you can offer more veggie-heavy dishes as well.

However, in the end I compromised because we had to use our wedding money to pay for my tuition (good thing we had that money), and my dad will be paying for the reception. So, I requested that my dad pay a little more for a vegetarian main dish (in addition to the numerous veggie side dishes and meat main dishes on the menu).

My point is, if you cannot morally justify paying for meat, I totally get it. BUT, you still need to find a solution that will please as many guests as you can. Maybe ask around, see what your meat-eating friends and family would like. Veggie lasagne? Baked ziti? Mac & cheese? What will please the people who think (mistakenly, imho) that veggie food is not filling, or anything green is gross.

They are your guests. You are hosting this reception in order to celebrate your marriage with the people you care about. Do your best to make them comfortable and happy without totally sacrificing your beliefs, whatever they may be. And do it with some class, please. The high-and-mighty act gives the rest of us vegetarians a bad rap.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We are also both veggies! We were planning on having thai, chinese, ethiopian and indian dishes -- all vegetable dishes with bread accompaniments (naan, etc.)  No meat options.  Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b876b93-0e22-4d36-b22e-fc7d04546fd8Post:b0393b16-ea49-4689-b3ba-f3194f76717d">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can do a veggie reception tastefully, tactfully, and maturely. Unfortunately, your tone is none of those things. I'm vegetarian, and I originally wanted a vegetarian reception. FI and I were paying, and I didn't want to pay for something that I don't want any parts of. That was it. I was cool about it. I didn't say "people can deal with it" or bring up that I've had to eat only plain mashed potatoes at a wedding when I was assured there would be something I could eat (which I understood to be more than mashed potatoes. My bad, lol). I was willing to accomodate a variety of tastes. Pasta is filling and usually a universal crowd-pleaser. Then you can offer more veggie-heavy dishes as well. However, in the end I compromised because we had to use our wedding money to pay for my tuition (good thing we had that money), and my dad will be paying for the reception. So, I requested that my dad pay a little more for a vegetarian main dish (in addition to the numerous veggie side dishes and meat main dishes on the menu). My point is, if you cannot morally justify paying for meat, I totally get it. BUT, you still need to find a solution that will please as many guests as you can. Maybe ask around, see what your meat-eating friends and family would like. Veggie lasagne? Baked ziti? Mac & cheese? What will please the people who think (mistakenly, imho) that veggie food is not filling, or anything green is gross. They are your guests. You are hosting this reception in order to celebrate your marriage with the people you care about. Do your best to make them comfortable and happy without totally sacrificing your beliefs, whatever they may be. And do it with some class, please. The high-and-mighty act gives the rest of us vegetarians a bad rap.
    Posted by jeanacorina[/QUOTE]

To you, I tip my hat.  Very well said.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards