Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Bouquet Toss and Garter Throw

I have heard lots of things about these two traditions. Out dated? A wedding must?

What do you think?

Are you/did you have them at your wedding? Horror Stories?

Any input would really help.

Re: Bouquet Toss and Garter Throw

• Options
    I think they are a wedding must! It gives the people that don't dance an oppurtunity to get out of their seats and participate in the reception. They both are very lighthearted and fun things so they help break up the night.
  • Options
    I hate them and would love it if I never had to attend another wedding with them.

When you're single it can be quite a way to draw attention to the fact that you're not engaged.  And it can create some tension if you're called on the dance floor when you're in a new relationship of if you would just rather sit and talk to guests.  Not. Fun. At. All.

And the garter tosses I've seen are always a bit raunchy.  I'm no prude but I don't know why people think it's cute for the groom to stick his head under the dress of his new wife!  If he wouldn't do that for any other purpose in front of strangers, I don't get why it's cute to do it at a wedding.  And again, it isolates the single people.

I also call bunk on PPs statement
    [QUOTE]It gives the people that don't dance an oppurtunity to get out of their seats and participate in the reception. [/QUOTE]

The guests participate in the reception in their own way.  You don't need to come up with canned ways to make that happen.  FWIW, the best receptions I've attended don't have constant things in the middle breaking them up.
  • Options
    I love love love the bouquet toss, it was definately a must for me, the garter toss could have gone either way but DH wanted to do it so we did.

The bouquet toss to me symbolized classic wedding (IMO) so I was super excited to do it, and the pics of it are adorable. The garter toss was also a really fun photo op because DH was under my dress and then had the garter in his mouth. I get that some people dont like it and would never do it, but we had a blast doing both.

If you do the garter toss just make sure you dont have the person who catches the garter put it on the person who catches the bouquet..i've seen that done, YUCK. the person who catches the bouquet could be a little girl and the guy who catches the garter could be an old man! Stay far away from this scenario
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards