Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to handle a late evening receiption??

I am planning a sunset wedding in May.  Since it is after dinner time, is it appropriate to have more of a cocktail type reception with drinks and hor'dourves?

Re: How to handle a late evening receiption??

• Options
    That's fine, as long as you indicate that it's a cocktail reception on the invitation, and as long as it starts late enough for people to get food first (I'd say no earlier than 7:30).
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree with aerin, although starting at 7:30 may be pushing it.  8:00 is still a popular dinner time.
  • Options
    I think as long as your guests have advance notice, i.e. what time to arrive and that dinner will not be served, I think they will manage to eat dinner a little earlier that day. I would still have the appetizers be a little more filling just in case, like hummus (protein) with pita points or skewered kabobs. 
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • Options
    Thank you all so much!  I was thinking the same things but it is always good to confirm with others.  Since the wedding will be after Daylight Savings Time, we are looking at a 7:30pm to 8pm ceremony.  Filling appetizers are a great idea and I will make sure that the invitations are explicit that the reception will be Appetizers and Cocktails only.  :D
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited October 2010
    that's so bizarre! most evening weddings here ARE dinner weddings and start at 8pm or so. to consider 8pm 'not dinnertime' doesn't make sense to me.
    since sunset times in CO for may are 6ish/7ish i would expect dinner.

• Options
    Im glad you asked this question. i am planning a cocktail reception myself and was looking to start my ceremony around 8pm on a Friday!
    We may not be perfect individuals, but we are perfect TOGETHER!!!
  • Options
    The timing of the dinner hour is partly regional. If you live in a town that rolls up the sidewalks at 9:00 PM, dinner will be earlier in the evening.
  • Options
    I'm having an outdoor evening wedding/reception in May as well. The ceremony starts at 7:30 and the reception will follow directly afterwards. We're doing heavy Appetizers and a few "filling" meats & snacks. Everyone we've informed of this has been fine with the idea :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards