Wedding Reception Forum
Options

dessert and coffee reception

Has anyone had/been to/ planning a dessert and coffee reception? This whole wedding business is getting so confusing and I am throwing around the idea of a simple reception of dessert and coffee. any ideas or thoughts?

Re: dessert and coffee reception

• Options
    I think dessert receptions can by nice and a good way to save money if you are on a tight budget.  The trick to them is to make sure that they are at a non-meal time so that people aren't expecting a full meal. 

If I were doing a dessert reception, I would either have an early afternoon wedding starting at 1:00 or 2:00 or a late evening wedding starting no earlier than 8:00.  Otherwise you will find that people are hungry and will sneak out early to get food.  If you plan on serving coffee/tea with dessert, I think the afternoon would be more appropriate.  For a late evening dessert reception, you might want to throw in some wine or champagne.

On your invitations, I would say "Dessert reception to follow" so that people know what to expect.

Also, make sure you have some non-super sweet options at a dessert reception.  Fruit and cheeses are nice for diabetics and so that people don't get a sugar overload.
  • Options
    I agree with pp.

• Options
    I think that sounds like a great idea!  SaraAndrew was right about the times, non-meal time periods would be best.  Also a suggestion: get an espresso bar and barista to make lattes, mochas, and maybe exotic coffee bean blends.
  • Options

I am planning a 2 pm ceremony and this is what we will be serving:

Wedding Cake

Fruit/Cheese/Cracker Trays

Mini Sandwich Trays (rolls with Turkey/Ham/Roast Beef - with and without cheeses)

Cole Slaw/Potato Salad/Chips

Coffe/Tea/Sodas/Lemonade

When FI and I discussed timing of the wedding, we felt this would be the easier route and of course less expensive - we will make the trays ourselves the day/evening before. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    If I could do it all over again, I'd have done exactly what you're planning.  Nobody remembers the menu I agonized over for months (pork tenderloin vs. beef tenderloin, mashed potato bar vs risotto station, etc.).  What they do remember is the EPIC dessert buffet and gourmet coffee bar.  We had our wedding cake, three different kinds of pie, lots of candies and cookies, and cannolis for my Italian family.  The coffee bar had whipped cream, chocolate dipped spoons, flavored syrups, rock candy stirring sticks, cinnamon stirring sticks, Bailey's, and Irish whiskey.  Could have saved my parents some serious cash :)  Have fun planning-this type of reception offers lots in the way of creativity.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the help and advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards