Wedding Reception Forum
Options

I need ideas for a super fun reception!

So i can distract my husbands side of the family, so they don't ask why my family isn't at our wedding. Or at least not make a big deal of it.

My wedding is going to be small, maybe about 50 people. All hispanic, and what i wanted to do for my wedding was to make it fun and exciting, rather then making it special, because of the fact that my family won't be there :(

So far i have found for an idea is a photo booth and Wishing lanterns. Are there any other unique ways to celebrate? His family are Christians with a high sense of humor but not so much in the dancing area, so i wanted to come up with something that would make it fun, and that everyone can enjoy. If any one can throw me some ideas my way i'd greatly appreciate it! :) Outside or inside reception ideas are welcome!

-Linda

Re: I need ideas for a super fun reception!

• Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    Your best bet for a "superfun" reception is good food, good drink and good music.  In all honesty, it's not a 7-year-old's birthday party, no one needs to be entertained.  Adults know how to have a good time.

The wishing lanterns and photobooth are a great idea - stick with that. 
  • Options
    I agree w/ PP.  The idea you already have are great, but the best weddings I have been to offered really great food and beverages.  It makes your guests feel very appreciated and and puts them in such a good mood they'll have a great time.  I also like not throwing everything at them at once. i.e My friends wedding started with a cocktail hour w/ open bar, butlered champagne(so small but really made a big impression), appetizers, and sushi bar (another wow factor).  Then after dinner, in addition to the regular bar, the brought out a specialty drink bar w/ ice luge.  Then about 2 hours after dinner, they rolled out a dessert buffet. How everything was brought out over the course of the evening, gave the guests one surpsrise after another.  So whatever you do I'd recommend introducing things one at a time.
  • Options
    As a PP said, you don't need ti worry about entertaining your guests, they're not six or seven. I'm guessing your guests know how to enjoy themselves.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    bbyckes, I just wanted to say I love your profile picture! Its adorable!!! And from the Clevland Show Laughing
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Hire Justin Bieber.  Sounds like he'd be the perfect fit for your "vision" of OMG!!!!11!!!!! superfun.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    We just had really good food, a laid-back atmosphere, and an awesome venue (a penthouse in Vegas).  We got a lot of "best wedding EVER" feedback.

Why do you think his family would make a big deal about your family not being there?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I personally love this idea...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11318529/cootie-catcher-origami-wedding-favor?fref=fb_itemheart

Remember those from elementary school? Sooo cute and fun=)  You can DIY these, (I'm sure you can find directions online if needed) and turn them into a game of some kind.

love it!

judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • Options
    AlannaFAlannaF member
    First Comment
    We are doing an outdoor reception under a pavillion, and we are offering horseshoes, croquet, bocce ball, etc.  It may not be for everyone, but it's perfect for our crowd.  Although we are hiring a small jazz combo, we are not doing dancing, either - we just don't have a lot of dancers in our group, so the games will be a nice alternative.  However, we are just setting the games up off to the side and if people choose to go play, great. It's not like we'll force everyone out there to play.

Food stations are another good idea - anything to keep the crowd circulating and energized.

Incidentally, my side of the family isn't coming either.  I doubt the games will cover that fact up...but at least if someone asks, I can just say, "Oh, they couldn't make the long trip...oh wow, look at the finesse on that croquet swing!"  Don't feel obligated to offer long explanations of your family's absence.  Most people are well-intentioned with their questions, they just don't realize it may be a sore subject for you.
  • Options
    kbj88kbj88 member
    First Comment

2 words. Bouncy House.  Guests will be like "wtf is with the bouncy house?" it will distract them from your lack of family....thats for sure.

• Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-ideas-super-fun-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2b402d77-e0a8-4ebf-afc9-311c6aab3939Post:ce9aaeea-2ca6-4e9c-9ef0-c783ba0e83ab">Re: I need ideas for a super fun reception!</a>:
    [QUOTE]bbyckes , I just wanted to say I love your profile picture! Its adorable!!! And from the Clevland Show
    Posted by Audrey&Austin[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  You totally made me smile! :)
  • Options
    I hired a Caricaturist for our reception! He only charged $400 for 4 hours and was able to draw 15 people an hour! Super fun and made everyone laugh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards