Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Menu choices

We are having our reception at our favorite restaurant and selected two of our favorite dishes (Chicken Marsala is mine, herbed butter broiled tilapia is his). But we were worried that some people might not like either of those choices because the Chicken Marsala has mushrooms in it and a lot of people don’t eat fish.

We are planning to add a third selection and are leaning toward their maple-glazed pork chops which are delicious. My questions are:

Do you think most people would like one of the three? We are having a pretty intimate wedding with just family and close friends so we know we don’t have any vegetarians in the crowd.

Do most people expect Chicken Marsala to have mushrooms or should I note that on the invitation?

We’ve also provided a space for people to write in any dietary restrictions on the invitation and can have a special option made up for someone if we need to. We’re also offering chicken fingers and French fries for any kids that want it.

What do you think?

DD Lea, born 04/21/10
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #4 It's a BOY!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
CP: July 2011
BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!

Re: Menu choices

• Options
    I love both choices. I would expect chicken marsala to have mushrooms on it

If you're already allowing guests to enter their dietary restrictions and offering them a special option plus kids are having chicken finger/fries, I would leave it as is (your 2 menu choices)
  • Options
    do the guests have to order what they want for dinner when they rsvp? if so you can put a little insert and explain each dish.
    if not-those 3 choices are fine. be sure that there is a veggie dish too if anyone is veggie.

• Options

I think you're way overthinking this. Why do you need their dietary restrictions if you're offering them a choice? Presumably they'll choose something that they can eat. Personally, I think the 2 original choices are fine, but there's nothing wrong with adding a third. My only question would be if you need a vegetarian entree option based on your guest list?

• Options

Well we decided to add the third option when both of my bridesmaids said that they wouldn’t eat either of the original options. Neither of them likes mushrooms or fish.

The dietary restrictions part is because FI has a few relatives who have severe allergies to a number of things. It’s important to us that our guests enjoy themselves and because we’re renting out a restaurant, we aren’t able to bring ANY food in from the outside so I want to make sure everyone has something they can eat.

We don't have any vegetarians but we are allowing our signle guests to bring a date if they want so I guess someone could bring a vegetarian.

DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
  • Options
    I don't eat mushrooms but if I come across a dish with them I just scrape them off. It's not a big deal.
  • Options
    I don't like chicken marsala or tilapia, and I would expect a lot of people don't. I also am not a huge fan of pork. Obviously, I'm not going to your wedding, but since you already have a white meat on the menu, could you add a steak option?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I hate mushrooms, but I would just scrape them off of my chicken.  It wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I agree that maybe you should offer some sort of beef option if you're going to add a third entree.
  • Options
    At my wedding, we are serving mahi & sirloin - both meats on one plate for everyone.  We aren't giving the guests an option. 

Don't overthink it too much - this might be the least of your worries!  You can't always please everyone.

I don't eat sirloin, so I'm actualy getting chicken marsala on my plate instead.  They way it was served at my tasting was with the mushrooms on top - can easily be scraped off. 

I agree with the person who said maybe ditch the pork chop since you already have the chicken and add a red meat option.  Then you're covering all bases and everyone should theoretically be happy :)
  • Options
    I don't like mushrooms but I'd eat the fish. I think that both sound good. The pork chops do too. I am kind of a picky eater and I think your menu sounds delicious. If they don't those options, they can eat the kids menu. I do think you should state mushrooms b/c I know I didn't know it came with them and if it got sat down in front of me I would be disgusted b/c I honestly can not stand mushrooms lol.
  • Options

I would include a vegetarian option for people who may bring dates or who don't care for either of your meat choices. And reference the mushrooms etc you are very nice but are over thinking it way too much.

• Options
    Have a third beef/red meat option, then let your guests state their dietary restrictions on the RSVPs. This way if there are any vegetarians, you'll know in advance, but it doesn't have to be one of your main options. Most places will always accommodate vegetarians if necessary.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    There are several ingredients that I'm not particularly fond of due to the texture (mushrooms, onions, nuts), but I like the flavor they give, so I just eat around them without complaint.  I think as long as you have a vegetarian option, you're fine.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    It sounds like you are taking your guests into consideration which is good. Your menu choices are also pretty clear, which is also helpful. We went to a wedding where one option was a clear fish choice and the other was called chicken chesapeake (which wasn't very clear)...so we didn't quite realize until I was eating that it was something my boyfriend couldn't eat due to his allergies. So he ended up eating the rice and the cake mostly.
    If I ever run into chicken chesapeak again or something that's not clear we will be checking it out or writing a little blurb so there's no confusion for our guests with dietary or allergic restrictions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards