Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ideas about fun ways to entertain your guests?

So my winter break from classes is finally here, which means my FI and I are going to look at wedding venues. We've been checking out this one place, and it looks like its the one we want to go with, since we plan on having an outdoor wedding at the same site as our reception.

Well, the venue is at this lake/water park, with an 18 hole golf course, putt-putt, and, obviously, a lake. So what do people think about getting passes for the guests (who want to) to go play 9 holes of golf in afternoon, putt-putt, pinata, and anyone that feels like swimming in the lake (which will probably be mostly kids. I also believe they have paddle boats. Do you think this would go over well with guests? We do have a lot of golfers in my family, and I belive my FI's grandfather and uncle both golf (he comes from a small family). I also have lots of cousins who are younger, or have young children, so putt-putt seems fun (I like putt-putt a lot too). And I don't know anyone in my family that would pass up a pinata or two! What do people think of this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ideas about fun ways to entertain your guests?

• Options
    I can see the golf thing working out.  Especially if you have that available while you and your FI are having pictures taken.  My biggest concern would be that everyone will be dressed up.  I personally wouldn't want to go play mini-golf in a dress, but if I was bored to tears (which you don't want you guests to be) I might consider it.

I would definitely say no to the swimming.  I just don't think it's appropriate to bring all the swimming stuff to a wedding - even if they leave it in the car.  The kids will be a mess, your venue will smell gross after all these kids have been out there.  Even if it's a more casual wedding, I just can't see swimming being an appropriate activity during a wedding.  
  • Options
    I think you should let your wedding be the entertainment. Your guests are adult who surely know how to mingle at a party. Adding putt-putt and a piñata seems childish to me and I would not want to do either in dress clothes. Why would you want your guests all over this park? I would think you want to spend time with them, as a guest I would most certainly leave early. Not trying to be mean but games and wedding don't mix.
  • Options
    Let them mingle like adults. Weddings usually bring together people who rarely see each other, so they will likely be very busy entertaining themselves by chatting and playing catch up.
  • Options
    The activities that you suggest sound more appropriate for a birthday party than a wedding. At weddings, people are usually pretty happy with food, music, and conversation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    so youd want people to leave your wedding to go and play golf? why?

• Options
    Maybe this is a bit of an Ohio thing because I'm from Ohio and think all of those ideas (except maybe swimming and paddle boats) sound like a great idea, especially since your wedding is going to be a bit casual. When my uncle remarried about 7 yrs ago, they put together family olympics, like three-legged races and whatnot, so that the families interacted a lot more. We were in sundresses it was easy for us girls to participate and we had a great time. I don't know that this would be appropriate for your wedding but definitely there are many activities you can have available besides the "normal" drinking and dancing.  I say have fun with it! =)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can see your point about it being very casual. Go ahead and have some things for the children to do, that makes sense. But wouldn't you want to spend time with the people who come to your wedding instead of them all over the place playing golf and what-not? And adults do not need alcohol to be able to mingle with people they haven't seen in a while or are meeting for the first time. I stand by my first post.
  • Options

My fiance and I are doing a few games at our wedding but we are keeping them involved with the wedding. For instance at each seat we are putting an I Spy card with a list of things to find at the reception and a camera at each table so that people can take pics of them. We figure that if we are going to put the hard work in the details then why not do a fun way to let guests see them and have pics for us to remember. IT's simple enough that the kids will like it.

Also instead of doing programs we are thinking about doing a word search for the guests while they wait for the ceremony to start that has the wedding party names and immediate family names on it. They can do it later at the recepeion as well if they want. Try to think about doing things that will keep them close to the wedding itself. If you really want to do golfing consider doing a weekend wedding where you can play golf the day before and guests can then get to know eachother so that the wedding will be more relaxed and fun.

• Options
    As someone said before I would say no to swimming-to much stuff to bring for kids and too much work for parents watching kids swimming.

But-I think the mini-golf and especially paddle-boats sound great.  I know I would take advantage of the paddle boats...it will definitely make your wedding unique and help add to the casual, summer vibe.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    roethlcroethlc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I think it sounds like a great idea! Maybe not the swimming part, simply because of the mess involved, but golf and putt-putt would be fine. I've been to numerous weddings where the "wedding was the entertainment" meant that you sat there with a whole bunch of people you don't know and nobody is doing anything. Giving your guests something fun to do along with mingleing gives them a more fun way to get to know eachother.

On a side note: I am thinking about doing something similar at my reception - so I would love to hear how this works out for you! (no date is set yet, but probably sometime late summer in 2012. Wedding will be in Michigan)

Best of luck with the planning!
  • Options
    Frankly, I don't like it.  I think it takes your guests away from your wedding, rather than bringing people together.  But it sounds like you've already made your mind up, so you won't really care that I'd probably leave your reception pretty quickly.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    offer these options for them in the morning/afternoon BEFORE your wedding and perhaps the next day. don't offer them during your wedding because people will leave and go do this stuff instead of hanging with you and your new hubby.
  • Options
    EnamiEnami member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    The golf course and putt-putt are right there where we are renting, so everyone will still be in the same general area. And it will only be for a short period of time before the reception really starts. I mean, this would all be going on while we switch chairs around, get pictures taken, get the food set-up, etc... I think we'll be self-catering (to some degree), and we're re-using the chairs from the ceremony at the reception (I think its a waste to rent for both when they're at the same location). And since we're probably not be having a cocktail hour, I thought a couple holes of golf or putt-putt would be a fun alternative.

I've been told elsewhere that people aren't going to stay and hang out with my FH and I anyway, since we aren't serving copious amounts of alcohol. So this was my idea of entertaining them sober. And keeping it fun for all the little kids.

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but it seems like the Midwest brides seem more ok with it than the East Coast brides.
  • Options
    i think you wedding is whatever you want it to be, and if thats it, go for it. there isnt any set rule for how a wedding should go, and even if there is what fun is that, ive been to a lot more boring weddings than fun ones. and all the boring ones were the ones geared towards "adults". at mine were going to have a wii, air hockey, shuffle board, pool, and later on in the niht get some beer pong going. lol its your day not everyone elses. do what YOU want. : )
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-fun-ways-entertain-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:34dacc66-f8b7-46bd-9014-759694430631Post:9bcb8309-c383-4c9d-8b79-6d7cd3e79dec">Re: Ideas about fun ways to entertain your guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think you wedding is whatever you want it to be, and if thats it, go for it. there isnt any set rule for how a wedding should go, and even if there is what fun is that, ive been to a lot more boring weddings than fun ones. and all the boring ones were the ones geared towards "adults". at mine were going to have a wii, air hockey, shuffle board, pool, and later on in the niht get some beer pong going. lol its your day not everyone elses. do what YOU want. : )
    Posted by amandalosee[/QUOTE]

The place we're looking at has a flat-screen bolted to the wall, so I think CoD or Halo will be going on (or whatever's popular at that time), or some tennis or hockey. I think hockey finals are in June...?
  • Options
    I think your idea is a creative one.  It is an alternative to the traditional "cocktail hour".  You could put the putt putt passes with the programs with a cute note explaining to your guests to enjoy a round of golf on you while the pics are being taken.  (Sorry, my creative brain is not functioning too much today)

I am not serving copious amounts of alcohol either.  We will have beer for the guests and some sangria but that is all.  I will also have alot of non-alcoholic choices since we will have alot of kids at our reception.  We are also self-catering. 

Sounds like a good plan to me!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards