Wedding Reception Forum
Options

stick with theme or color scheme???

Hi,
My colors are Purple (Lapis if you know David's Bridal colors) and Dark Grey/silver
I am planning on having an outdoor picnic themed reception.  I want purple gingham tablecloths, but can't find any that I can afford.  My centerpieces will be similar to these

with these flowers

and this vase
(the clear one)

Should I stick with the theme and get maybe red blue or green gingham (checkered) tablecloths? 

Or should I get solid purple and grey table clothes (thinking simple plastic ones that you would use at any picnic). 

I might put some glass gems around the bottom for color and a little more interest, but I am about out of money for centerpieces, so that is as far a I can go. 
What do you think? Solid Purple and Solid Grey or different colored ginghams?  Stick with theme or color scheme?

I might be able to do some purple and white checkered picnic blankes, but I can't afford to get enough for all of the table coverings. 

Re: stick with theme or color scheme???

• Options
    IMHO I think the red would clash, but I'm OCD and matchy-matchy. I really like the purple and grey tablecloths and think they'd match beautifully with your vases.
  • Options
    I would stick with your color scheme. The overall effect doesn't really require the red checked cloth and I think it would just stick out and clash.  you'll still get the picnic theme across with solid tablecloths.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, if you can afford SOME purple & white gingham, what about a small round or square piece of fabric under the vase, or a runner over the solid tablecloth? Because it's picnic themed, you wouldn't need to do any hems or anything, and I think it would accomplish both of your goals.

If you don't want to do that, then I'd go with the solid color.
  • Options
    I think the red or green would clash. maybe do half the tables in purple and the other in grey. then do opposite napikins. love the colors btw Laughing
  • Options
    Stick with solid color tablecloths in either the purple or gray.  Or a plain white, with colored topper, table runner, or even a large cloth dinner napkin under the centerpieces.

The "gingham picnic" theme doesn't really go with the more elegant, contemporary look of the callas and those type of vases, even if you could find gingham in the right colors. 

FYI, for plastic table covers, try to get the heavier/thicker ones.  The really cheap, thin plastic ones are a pain and blow around and tear easily.  Or put a few pieces of double sided tabe around the edges of the tables to keep the covers in place.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_stick-theme-color-scheme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:35a3ac93-f37c-4fe5-ab96-a0f8b24a705cPost:f54bfcfb-ce18-4a65-8507-ced53a311163">Re: stick with theme or color scheme???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stick with solid color tablecloths in either the purple or gray.  Or a plain white, with colored topper, table runner, or even a large cloth dinner napkin under the centerpieces. The "gingham picnic" theme doesn't really go with the more elegant, contemporary look of the callas and those type of vases, even if you could find gingham in the right colors.  FYI, for plastic table covers, try to get the heavier/thicker ones.  The really cheap, thin plastic ones are a pain and blow around and tear easily.  Or put a few pieces of double sided tabe around the edges of the tables to keep the covers in place.
    Posted by Catwoman708[/QUOTE]
    Agree on all counts.
  • Options
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.   I have just been stuck on what a picnic is "Supposed" to look like...
    I know plastic seems kinda cheap, but I really don't need to have 12 clothes when I am done, and it is in the budget to buy them rather then rent linens (1 table = the sampe price as the plastic)  I am aware of cheap table clothes being flimsy, as I used to do demos in grocery stores, and those were what I had to cover my table with.  I love the half grey, half purple with opposite napkins, but I think we are going to do a buffet picnic, and napkins will be layed down on that table...maybe arrange them in there so they are alternating colors.  Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I am a matchy matchy person also, so the red, blue, or green gingham would have driven me nuts!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_stick-theme-color-scheme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:35a3ac93-f37c-4fe5-ab96-a0f8b24a705cPost:def08c44-5593-49e5-8838-7b5e5540f636">Re: stick with theme or color scheme???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, if you can afford SOME purple & white gingham, what about a small round or square piece of fabric under the vase, or a runner over the solid tablecloth? Because it's picnic themed, you wouldn't need to do any hems or anything, and I think it would accomplish both of your goals. If you don't want to do that, then I'd go with the solid color.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Sue-that's a great idea! She gets the best of everything.
  • Options
    Solid! Again I'm the matchy matchy type too :) Drives FI nuts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards