Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Head table seating

Neither FI nor I like the idea of a sweetheart table. We'd rather sit with our friends at the reception. However, our wedding party has 11 people, plus the flower girl and ring bearer (who's father is a groomsman, and they would therefore have to sit with him). Plus all the SO's, it brings our head table total to 19 people (it's a destination wedding, so a lot of the WP isn't bringing a date).

Instead of this massive table, would be tacky to seat some of the WP at regular tables? For example, putting my four siblings with my parents and grandparents while FI and I sit with our friends, or are the "acceptable" options a headtable or sweetheart table?

TIA

Re: Head table seating

• Options
    I'd rethink the sweetheart table.  Everyone I know that has had one loved the 5 minutes of private time if afforded them.

You're really not going to be seated for all that long.  A traditional head table doesn't allow you to talk with your WP anyway.  A long banquet table allows you to talk only with the people on your immediate right and left.

But if you must, you could do a table with you and your new DH, your MOH and her S/O and your BM and his S/O.  Then have the rest of your WP sit at tables with friends/family/people with whom they would have something in common.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Are there large rectangle tables that you can make into a 19 person table?  If you put people on either side, it wouldn't be that huge.  

My other suggestion would be to sit with your BM/MOH and their dates, and then scatter the rest of the WP or put them at flanking tables.  But I don't think it would be weird to seat the family part of the WP with other family member and sit with your friends, especially since they probably won't know anyone else.

At our RD, we had 5 10 top tables, but only 7-8 people at each.  DH and I ended up hopping from table to table during the meal so that we could spend some time with everyone.  If you had your WP divided into 3 tables, you could do a little bit of that.  
  • Options
    I like the idea of siting with the MOH and best man and their dates... And seating the rest of the bridal party elsewhere...

You won't be seated for that long, so it doesn't matter too much who sits with who, but as trix said, long tables only allows you to talk to the two people seated directly next you, anyway.

So, really, whats the difference between sitting with just your husband...and with the whole bridal party because, since it's not like you're going to get to talk to the bridal party while seated, anyway.
  • Options
    I would sit with the Best Man, MOH and their dates.

Or all of your parents.

Or all of your siblings and their dates.

I think those are good options if you don't want to have a sweetheart table.
  • Options
    What about sitting with both sets of parents?  They would feel special, and when you get up to mingle, they would still have each other to talk to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards