Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Need Table Seating Help

I am trying to plan out my tables/seating, but I am confused. The website says that an 8ft by 30" table seats 10, so that would be 5 on each side. Is that enough space, or do you think guests need 2 feet of space to be more comfortable? They dont have folding chair measurements listed, but I think chairs are a little more than 1 foot wide. I'm thinking maybe 4 chairs on each side would be more comfortable for people.

Then they also have tables that are 4" wide instead of 2.5". What did you go with?

If the weather's good, people probably wont be sitting at their table spot for very long. I am planning on making sides/salads and then having a food truck, so some people might even get their food and eat picnic style on the lawn.

Also my guestlist is 70 total but some people may not come. Did you just plan your seating around everyone coming? I have to rent and set up everything myself so that's why I ask.

Anyway, let me know what you did! Thanks in advance : )

Re: Need Table Seating Help

• Options
    Most 8 foot tables only seat 8 in my experience unless you're maybe putting one person on either end, which I wouldn't.  Are you able to adjust your rental numbers a little closer to your wedding date?  I mean, could you currently rent maybe 7 or 8 but bump it up to 9 if needed once RSVPs come rolling in?
  • Options
    8ft tables sound like they're doing 4 on each side, and 2 on the ends.  Between chairs and place settings 24inches is pretty standard/good.  Any smaller starts to feel crowded.

a typical dinner table is anywhere from 30-48" wide. 36" is fairly comfortable as far as putting place settings on both sides and still having a little room between.  Honestly, 30" sounds like you won't have much room for centerpieces or decor....which is fine if those are small or narrow.

I had a spreadsheet with each table listed as a separate column. as RSVPs came in, i put their names under a table.  I tried to keep families together, and group everyone accordingly.  some of my tables had 8, some 9, and some 10.

Did you already send invitiations? Make sure your RSVP date is early enough for you to make all the final adjustments to table rental numbers and such.  Plan on telling them your maximum tables, and asking if you can cut the number closer to the wedding when you know more accurate guest counts.  many places have a 1-2 week window that you can do so.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-table-seating-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:3a8a1f69-7c5e-4474-ae32-67b884a68f7aPost:ee793275-cfe4-4f97-899b-0e04d40f3fd3">Need Table Seating Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am trying to plan out my tables/seating, but I am confused. The website says that an 8ft by 30" table seats 10, so that would be 5 on each side. Is that enough space, or do you think guests need 2 feet of space to be more comfortable? They dont have folding chair measurements listed, but I think chairs are a little more than 1 foot wide. I'm thinking maybe 4 chairs on each side would be more comfortable for people. Then they also have tables that are 4" wide instead of 2.5". What did you go with? If the weather's good, people probably wont be sitting at their table spot for very long. I am planning on making sides/salads and then having a food truck, so some people might even get their food and eat picnic style on the lawn. Also my guestlist is 70 total but some people may not come. Did you just plan your seating around everyone coming? I have to rent and set up everything myself so that's why I ask. Anyway, let me know what you did! Thanks in advance : )
    Posted by stasiia[/QUOTE]

first you need to find out exactly how large the chairs are otherwise yuo can speculate until the end of time.

second no matter how you assume people may or may not eat you need to provide a seat and table space for each butt and plate at the same time. 70 guests-70 seats and table places.

you have to set all of htis up and make sides and salads? i'd rethink that.

• Options
    Ok I will be finding out the chair width and asking about their deadline to lower tables on order, but next question...

If I have extra empty seats at a table, do I still have a chair and full place setting for that spot?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards