Wedding Reception Forum

Centerpieces for a brunch wedding

I'm having a really hard time deciding on centerpieces. We are having an early brunch wedding (ceremony at 10:30, reception at 11) so I don't want to use candles, and using flowers are really out of our budget. My mom suggested doing fishbowls, but is that cheesey? Does anyone have any better, cheap ideas?

Re: Centerpieces for a brunch wedding

• edited May 2012
    Pretty bowls of fruit
    Potted plants
  • What are you planning on putting in the fishbowls?

What are your wedding colors?

• cwill6212cwill6212 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Don't do fishbowls (unless you're going to fill them with something other than fish)

What are your colors? Or what's the look you're going for? Here are some budget friendly alternatives you might be able to use...

Here's some fruit centerpiece ideas:

Here's a cute one with minimal flower/candle usage:

And here's a couple vintag-y type using older books:

• Thanks for the suggestions!
    My mom's thought was to fill them with mini turtles since I'm obsessed with them, but I feel like it just won't look good and then what would I do with 10 turtles afterwards? So I just really don't want to do that.
    I was thinking of doing a basket with fall fruits and veggies in it, but I don't really think it would go with anything other than the season.
    Our colors are navy and light pink and everything we have is one or the other (except the table cloths, which are white).
  • White gourds or white painted pumpkins would be pretty. I think having any kind of animal on the table would be a bit disgusting, personally.
  • The upside-down goblets with a single bloom in them are so sweet. Thanks for posting that!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-for-a-brunch-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4bdd6b63-25c3-49b1-94cd-f8d5513117d8Post:2850d0a3-ee24-4902-8f42-75c108207bad">Re:Centerpieces for a brunch wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]White gourds or white painted pumpkins would be pretty. I think having any kind of animal on the table would be a bit disgusting, personally.
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

I love the white gourds and white painted pumpkin idea!

I also agree about the live animals...they are living beings and shouldn't be used as decoration.

• Thank you for not doing turtles.  Although very cute as pets, they do poop whenever they feel like it and can be smelly so they are far from ideal for use in a centerpiece.

As for alternate ideas, check out the local Home Depot or gardening store and buy the seasonal decorative pots (they're usually $10-12.)  You could also do what I am doing which is getting the 3 for $12 bunches of flowers from the local grocery store and making my own bouquet and arrangements with it.  I know with these you don't get much choice in what flowers you use but I can live with that.
  • I saw someone do cupcake stands filled with donuts and pastries for the guests to munch on during "cocktail hour".  The very top tier had a small potted plant and the table number in it.  It was SUPER cute.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Now that you've said your wedding colors are navy and light pink, I found a few other ideas for you.

This uses minimal flowers and I thought the pinwheel was adorable!

You can do this submerged flower with or without candles. So that might be an option!

This has a tall eiffel vase and the pom pom on top can be floral or tissue paper, whichever is most affordable/easy to make.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-for-a-brunch-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4bdd6b63-25c3-49b1-94cd-f8d5513117d8Post:a4a609a8-d305-4a95-85be-92f80e3d68db">Re: Centerpieces for a brunch wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE] check out the local Home Depot or gardening store and buy the seasonal decorative pots (they're usually $10-12.) Posted by BeachBride1216[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-for-a-brunch-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4bdd6b63-25c3-49b1-94cd-f8d5513117d8Post:98a4f125-f355-4b98-ad0f-b535fe6e304e">Re: Centerpieces for a brunch wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]The upside-down goblets with a single bloom in them are so sweet. Thanks for posting that!
    Posted by S6ix[/QUOTE]

I thought they were adorable too. I might use them for a bridal shower or dinner party, just as an excuse :P
  • What about getting those fruit arrangements from that edible arrangement company? I have no idea how much they would cost, or if you have one in your area, but it would go well with brunch. Our boss ordered one for secretaries day this past year and the bouquet was so gorgeous and the fruit lasted for days!! The secretary covered it at the end of each day and it lasted for about a week. You could also give them away at the end of the reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-for-a-brunch-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4bdd6b63-25c3-49b1-94cd-f8d5513117d8Post:67b6d4f7-e8c7-4e6e-a937-8b93c31fe00e">Re: Centerpieces for a brunch wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about getting those fruit arrangements from that edible arrangement company? I have no idea how much they would cost, or if you have one in your area, but it would go well with brunch. Our boss ordered one for secretaries day this past year and the bouquet was so gorgeous and the fruit lasted for days!! The secretary covered it at the end of each day and it lasted for about a week. You could also give them away at the end of the reception.
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

This is the best idea for a brunch centerpiece!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-for-a-brunch-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4bdd6b63-25c3-49b1-94cd-f8d5513117d8Post:67b6d4f7-e8c7-4e6e-a937-8b93c31fe00e">Re: Centerpieces for a brunch wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about getting those fruit arrangements from that edible arrangement company? I have no idea how much they would cost, or if you have one in your area, but it would go well with brunch. Our boss ordered one for secretaries day this past year and the bouquet was so gorgeous and the fruit lasted for days!! The secretary covered it at the end of each day and it lasted for about a week. You could also give them away at the end of the reception.
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

They are about $40 for a bouquet and go up from there. There are $25 dollar ones but those are only strawberrys in a box and you only get eight strawberries. I would check out the site. Maybe they would do a deal if you buy more.
  • Thank for the help guys! These are some really good ideas! I found somewhere a flowerpot filled with cupcakes that are designed to be roses I think that's a contender along with the edible arrangements, tiered cupcake stand, and the pinwheel one! I also love the upside down goblet but my sister is also getting married and she's doing those. Thanks again everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards