Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to be polite??

There will be several kids at my reception is there a polite way to word a sign for the candy buffet to insure everyone only gets one treat bag? I don't want to be rude but want to make sure there is enough for everyone.

Re: How to be polite??

• Options
    MiksChick23MiksChick23 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I think the parents should know enough not to let the kids hoard your candy buffet...but then again, I tend to assume people have more common sense than they actually do.

A lot of people won't eat the candy, so there should be more than enough if you are budgeting for the entire guest list. You could also leave the treat bags at each place setting, so if the kids do grab more than one, its most likely their mom's. A wedding I attended this summer had little bride and groom theme boxes with a note that instructed guests to head over to the candy buffet with a cute little rhyme.

I definitely would not put up a sign. If I went to your wedding, and you ran out of candy, I wouldn't care much anyway, especially if I saw that the kids who hoarded it all were having a good time. Trust me, the sugar high they will get as a result of lax parenting will be enough punishment for the parents. =)
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Here is a little poem I saw from Meal and Miles blog, but I'm not sure if you want it to be a little bit more direct. You could always re-word things to what suits you, but I think the idea of a poem kind of lightens the message!

(http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/02/23/ben-and-ashleys-wedding-the-details/)

Candy Buffet
    Step right up to the candy buffet
    It’s a sweet addition to a wonderful day
    This is a treat we are offering to you
    On this beautiful date when we say I Do
    Use the scoop, choose what you like
    Leave some for others, Be polite.
    If you enjoy your bag of treats,
    Please remember, Love is Sweet!

• Options
    I agree with Miks.  If the candy bar runs out of candy, I'm not even sure I'd be disappointed, but I'd probably think to myself "ah well... the candy went to kids.  As it should!"

I do agree that maybe the bags should be placed at each place setting instead of with the buffet. 
  • Options
    I would be more inclined to have the bags at each seat. Like Joy and Miks said when the candy runs out... it runs out.

I hate these weird little poems, one it is trying to disguise the fact that people need to share, 2 no one is going to read it.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ditto PPs, just have the bags at each place setting and skip the poems.  No matter how you word it, as an adult, I'd be a little offended that you felt I needed to be reminded to share (granted, some people do, but that's beside the point).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Agree with PPs about putting the bags at guests' seats.  You could think about how you set up your buffet - using stands or what not to lift some containers higher than others, putting lids on some, employing the use of scoops, etc.  Leave some candy at kid level and position some items to be more accesible by adult guests.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_how-to-be-polite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4d38e2f4-b9bf-4d91-a420-468644676b06Post:4d3aff85-2b2f-4489-80e7-fd60875204f5">Re: How to be polite??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here is a little poem I saw from Meal and Miles blog, but I'm not sure if you want it to be a little bit more direct. You could always re-word things to what suits you, but I think the idea of a poem kind of lightens the message! ( <a href="http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/02/23/ben-and-ashleys-wedding-the-details/)" rel="nofollow">http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/02/23/ben-and-ashleys-wedding-the-details/)</a> Candy Buffet Step right up to the candy buffet It’s a sweet addition to a wonderful day This is a treat we are offering to you On this beautiful date when we say I Do Use the scoop, choose what you like Leave some for others,  Be polite. If you enjoy your bag of treats, Please remember,  Love is Sweet!
    Posted by chadandsarahm[/QUOTE]

I actually like the poem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

No need for signs.  You don't need to worry about everyone getting a bag.  Not everyone will want one, and you don't want extra candy at the end of the night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards