Wedding Reception Forum
Options

game ideas for order tables get to eat

I need some game ideas to decides what order the tables get to eat?? Please help, it's getting to be crunch time, I'm getting married on Sept 18 2010. Thanks

Re: game ideas for order tables get to eat

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Oh please just dismiss them one at a time.  I've seen a couple of different variations on this at weddings, and they were one and all excruciating.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

Ditto Aerin.  Games belong at showers, not weddings.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Thats what I had thought but people have been trying to tell me otherwise.
  • Options

Another vote against games. Usually I've seen a coordinator of some sort walk around and let tables know when they can go up, subtle and unobtrusive.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_game-ideas-order-tables-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:598d9020-cba6-4e33-a5ca-49cab0989b2cPost:3fd87d96-e3d0-444b-8252-a0958840e03c">Re: game ideas for order tables get to eat</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thats what I had thought but people have been trying to tell me otherwise.
    Posted by harmonyloewen[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty gung-ho about the goofiest wedding stuff, but I think the 'table' games are obnoxious. 

Any 'games' should be completely optional.  In this instance, the people who just aren't into it are pretty much punished by being forced to eat last. 

I'd just start with the tables closest to the buffet and work your way back.
    murrayed
  • Options
    Our venue refused to release tables for us. 

Our DJ released tables by asking people to sing love songs.  Whichever table volunteered to sing a love song got to eat next.

It was actually pretty funny to listen to everyone sing, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  We're still getting compliments from our wedding guests about how much fun they thought it was.

Generally, I would say to just have the venue release tables, but in our case, we didn't have that option.
  • Options
    Even if the DJ or band leader releases the tables, you still don't have to play games to get that to happen. I'm glad your guests enjoyed the singing, but I would have hated that.
  • Options
    Don't have your guests "win" their turn to eat at the reception.  Seriously, just dismiss them one at a time. 
  • Options
    Oh awkward! Can your venue do it for you? I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I felt I was competing for my dinner!
    And I would definately dismiss those who were farthest away first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    135 Invitedimage 105 Ready to Partyimage 30 Missing Outimage
    RSVP Deadline: 9.30.10
  • Options
    Have the venue or DJ or your mother (friend, whoever) just release tables in the order that makes traffic flow the best. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love you, Frogurt, but not gonna lie, the point at SBIL's wedding where the MC announced that each table had to sing a love song was the point where I turned to DH and told him to finish his beer because we were leaving.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    The last few weddings I went to had us sing a song with love in it to get the bride and groom to kiss instead of clinkng glasses, which was alot of fun. Would I sing for my food? NO lol just dismiss them table by table.
  • Options
    lol, aerin. 

The DJ didn't make every person sing.  Just someone at the table had to sing, and we had really long tables with around 24 people at them so only about 8 people total had to sing. :)

Honestly I had way too many other things to think about and didn't find out until the day before the wedding that our venue was not going to release our tables.  Our DJ said he would come up with something, and that's where I left it.

I didn't really want to ask any of our family members to release tables because we wanted them to enjoy the reception and not feel like they were working. :)
  • Options
    Okay, that's not that bad.  We were told that the entire table had to get up and sing together.  Not to be released for dinner, not to make the B&G kiss, just because.  But I already got into what a trainwreck that wedding was on WP...

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Please don't do table games to sort out table order. You will just end up with a lot of hungry, annoyed people. Take it from me, we had to do a ten question quiz about the couple at my cousin's wedding (table with most right answers went first and so on), and it went excruciatingly slowly. And, as insult to injury, my table was right next to the buffet, so the whole time we were answering questions, we were also practically salivating over the wonderful smells. We all agreed that was about as close to cruel and unusual punishment as you can get at a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards