Wedding Reception Forum
Options

electric slide

I am playing "DJ" for my reception and I just got my final songs uploaded. The big question- Do I play The Electric Slide or just skip it. I'm completely neutral on it (I'll do it if it's playing but not one i love) and I'm getting mixed reactions from family when I tell them I'm doing the music. Everyone has an opinion on the electric slide. Funnily enough, no one mentions any other songs/music that they want to hear or don't want to hear. It's just the stupid old electric slide.

:)
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally

Re: electric slide

• Options
    I told our DJ that if someone requested it, then to go ahead and play it, but that otherwise I would rather he not play it.  Nobody requested it, so it wasn't played.  I don't think anybody missed it. 
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    We did not have any dances like that.  They are so overdone and annoying.  Just a question. How are you DJing your own wedding.  WIll it be an ipod that just plays or will you be changing it up or taking requests? Seems like a big thing to take on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a 7 hour playlist put together on my laptop that can essentially just be turned on and left to play. We have good speakers to plug in to it. I also have a cousin who is in charge of turning on/off the music when needed who will be free to change things if she wants to.

We're having a small wedding (about 75 guests) and really can't afford a DJ so I took on the task of doing the music. My FI isn't in to music at all (it's bizarre) so he just can't wrap his mind around the idea of paying someone to play music and he encouraged me to do it. Honestly, it's a HUGE undertaking. At this point (3 weeks out from the wedding), it's basically done and all set but I've spent an insane amount of hours over the past six months making playlists, tracking down cds, uploading, organizing, etc. I think if I had to do it again, I'd find a way to come up with the money to pay a DJ.

As for the electric slide...when I asked my mother, she said she'd cry if I didn't play it. Sister said it was for old people and mom responded, 'well, duh, I'm old." 
    So, it looks like it might make the cut, just to keep mom happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    Well I'm old and so were a lot of our guests, so yeah we had the electric slide and all other cheesy dances.  They were all on the by request only list.  I'm sure some drunk cousin or friends asked for them.  NBD, I was not going to dig my heels over a 3 minute song our guests had fun dancing to.

The Macarena was on the do not play list.  That song makes my skin crawl and I'm not sure why.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    no! i was sick of that about 10 years ago!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_electric-slide?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5e8e5cfa-167d-4efb-986c-09cf0e5b9ff4Post:a73384fa-a6b0-4c58-b4b4-532ba2b4971e">Re: electric slide</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I'm old and so were a lot of our guests, so yeah we had the electric slide and all other cheesy dances.  They were all on the by request only list.  I'm sure some drunk cousin or friends asked for them.  NBD, I was not going to dig my heels over a 3 minute song our guests had fun dancing to. The Macarena was on the do not play list.  That song makes my skin crawl and I'm not sure why.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. 
  • Options
    3 words....
    Dear
    God
    No

!
  • Options
    Most of the 'popular' wedding dances were on our Do Not Play list (macarena, chicken dance, YMCA, etc), but my mom really wanted to do the electric slide, so I conceeded that one.  I was actually surprised at how many of our guests participated, especially for those who didn't dance at all the rest of the night.  So it ended up being a good addition to our playlist, but it's completely up to you on if you want to include it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like some group dance songs, but yeah most were on my do not play list. Mainly just because I hate the Cha Cha Slide. But I like the Electric Slide. Weird. Bottom line: your call. If some guests will love it, why not?
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    This was one of two songs on our "Do not play" list.
  • Options
    I like the "expected" dances at weddings as long as they aren't every single gosh darn song, just a few sprinkled in.  People who do not dance can manage the YMCA and Chicken Dance, so it gets a lot of people up.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I haven't heard/seen the electric slide since the last time I attended an all night skate...approximately 18 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards