Wedding Reception Forum

Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?

2»

Re: Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:61b5bbfe-58f0-420f-a6e6-51474bda342dPost:70864a2a-3510-4b25-8fbc-6172a94cbe7f">Re: Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a very picky eater. I'm not going to lie if I went to an all vegetarian wedding I'd be bummed. I'd never say anything to the couple but inside I wouldn't be a happy camper. Chances are one or more of your guest will feel the same way.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Although I don't consider myself a picky eater.  I love eggplant parm but I know a lot of people don't like eggplant, like my husband.  He'd be grumbling for sure.  </div>
  • I personally think it's too much of a headache, but if you are doing a vegetarian reception out of ethics about where your money goes, then go for it.

Be sure to not make a big deal out of it, as that can come across as 'holier than thou', and see if you can work with your caterer to have options available that are familiar to people.  Pastas, cheeses (vegetarian of course), breads, etc are all favorites even at omnivor events.

Also, if you are going to make vegetarian or vegan substitutes, make sure that people are aware of potential allergens.  Peanut oil substituted for animal fats could prove deadly to the unsuspecting guest.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:61b5bbfe-58f0-420f-a6e6-51474bda342dPost:cfa6b74b-f5e6-4dc6-a8bb-fd1316e5d532">Re: Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea? : Haha, this reminds of me of Everything Is Illuminated. Jonathan asks for a vegetarian meal in rural Ukraine and is given a single steamed potato after being asked if a sausage is vegetarian: <a href="http://youtu.be/um2p4GlEbKg" rel="nofollow">http://youtu.be/um2p4GlEbKg</a>
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

I've never seen that before!  I was cracking up, it reminded me of the first time I met his parents.
  • Your menu reminds me of my brother's foodie-themed vegetarian wedding. I loved the food! One thing they did that went over really well was having a large spead of cheeses, fruit, spinach dip, hummus, nuts, etc. so if a specific course was too "foodie" for someone, there was a large spread of crowd pleasers to fill up on. I loved PPs idea to have at least one course resemble a pizza or flatbread of some sort. My biggest advice: have some choices that don't include a lot of vegetables. As sad as it is, MANY people prefer meat, dairy, carbs and the addition of bell pepper, onion, mushroom, etc. can be a deal breaker on a menu item.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:61b5bbfe-58f0-420f-a6e6-51474bda342dPost:5aba0569-0a77-4759-8995-5dc8e763b6b3">Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, Food issues seem to bring out a lot of polarized opinions, so I'm curious to see what everyone has to contribute here. My fiance and I are both vegetarian.  That being said, we are also foodies.  We love to cook and travel and discover new foods and cuisines.  Our honeymoon will definitely be some kind of culinary tour, and we want our wedding to have amazing food because it's something that we're very passionate about. We'd really like to have the reception be vegetarian.  It is a big part of our lives.  I'm not saying I have a problem with people eating meat, I think to each his own.  But I do feel that it would be a bit unreasonable to be expected to serve food at our own wedding that we won't eat. A lot of people (including our families) seem to think that being vegetarian means all we eat is plain steamed vegetables and tofu.  Not the case!  Also, people seem to think that vegetarian food = cheap.  Not the case either.  I read in one advice column that it's rude to expect non-vegetarian people to eat vegetarian food, because a vegetarian would be frustrated if there were only non-vegetarian options.  This seems illogical to me--everyone can eat vegetables, regardless of dietary preferences, but not everyone can or will eat meat.  Obviously we'd do our best to take allergies into account, like every other wedding. So, can we get away with this?  We'd make sure that the food is delicious, creative and amazing.  We're thinking of doing a vegetarian tasting menu so that people have a wide range of flavors and options in case they don't like one dish's focus.  But I can already hear certain family members complaining vociferously... Has anyone had experience with this?  Did it create havoc at your wedding?
    Posted by helenrose315[/QUOTE]

I would say if it is against your "moral" code to serve meat, then you should follow your code for  your wedding as well. That is reasonable, I believe.

If you don't personally care about others eating meat, it woulddn't be horrible to give choices of meat and vegetarian plates.

Do keep in mind, of you give others the "meat" option, you cannot eat something that they don't have access to..You have to make your vegetarian option available.

overall, I think you are fine either way as long as the food is good
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_vegetarian-wedding-reception-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:61b5bbfe-58f0-420f-a6e6-51474bda342dPost:5aba0569-0a77-4759-8995-5dc8e763b6b3">Vegetarian wedding reception--bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, Food issues seem to bring out a lot of polarized opinions, so I'm curious to see what everyone has to contribute here. My fiance and I are both vegetarian.  That being said, we are also foodies.  We love to cook and travel and discover new foods and cuisines.  Our honeymoon will definitely be some kind of culinary tour, and we want our wedding to have amazing food because it's something that we're very passionate about. We'd really like to have the reception be vegetarian.  It is a big part of our lives.  I'm not saying I have a problem with people eating meat, I think to each his own.  But I do feel that it would be a bit unreasonable to be expected to serve food at our own wedding that we won't eat. A lot of people (including our families) seem to think that being vegetarian means all we eat is plain steamed vegetables and tofu.  Not the case!  Also, people seem to think that vegetarian food = cheap.  Not the case either.  I read in one advice column that it's rude to expect non-vegetarian people to eat vegetarian food, because a vegetarian would be frustrated if there were only non-vegetarian options.  This seems illogical to me--everyone can eat vegetables, regardless of dietary preferences, but not everyone can or will eat meat.  Obviously we'd do our best to take allergies into account, like every other wedding. So, can we get away with this?  We'd make sure that the food is delicious, creative and amazing.  We're thinking of doing a vegetarian tasting menu so that people have a wide range of flavors and options in case they don't like one dish's focus.  But I can already hear certain family members complaining vociferously... Has anyone had experience with this?  Did it create havoc at your wedding?
    Posted by helenrose315[/QUOTE]

I think that depending on what you will be serving will either make or break this, is it a sit down dinner or a buffet type meal? I think if it was a buffet you could get away with mostly vegetarian items and maybe just compromise on 1 or 2 non vegetarian items such as meatballs or perhaps cocktail shrimp, something that the meat eaters will love but it won't overwhelm the vegetarians, and well if it a sit down I would highly suggest having a meat option or atleast a pasta option, there are plenty of pasta options that your guests will love!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards