Wedding Reception Forum

First Dance?!?

I'm interested in hearing what you ladies (and gentlemen) are planning on using for your first dance! We are dancing to God Gave me You.
ALSO, what songs are you doing for your parents dances?
I am dancing with my dad to Butterfly Kisses
He is dancing with his mom to My Wish
I am dancing ith my mom to Mama's Song
and I am dancing with my step dad to Get Ready, Get Set don't go (this song will start off with my step dad for about 30 seconds and welcome all other daddy daughter's onto the dance floor. 

I realize I am dancing with all 3 of my parents but I am so close with all three and couldn't just pick my dad since all 3 of my parents raised me! My fiance and his family think its a lovely idea. I wanted to make sure they wouldn't be offended if I took up that much time, but they realize how close I am with my parents. 

so please SHARE :) are you doing any other special dances? Any kids that you will be dancing with?!?
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: First Dance?!?

• first dance - God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton
    father/daughter - The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra
    mother/son - There You'll Be by Faith Hill
    stepmom/son - My Wish by Rascal Flatts
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • First dance: "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds. Our runner-up was "First Day of my life" by Bright Eyes

Father/daughter dance: "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon

Mother/son: "What a wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • First dance I really wanted to do a song by an artist i love, but my FI hates, though he can understand how well fitting the lyrics are. Though ive decided im going to say i still want that song but really when the time comes to do the dance it will be a song that he suggested by his favourite artist which is Gruff Rhys - If we were words we would rhyme. 

I think itll be a lovely surprise for him. 

Father daughter dance will be T-rex - She was born to be my unicorn

Not sure of Mother son dance yet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First Dance with my Husban - Van Morrison "Into the Mystic"First Dance with my dad - The temptations "My Girl" and with my step -dad Brad Paisley " He didn't have to"

• First Dance: What I Really Want to Say by Steven Curtis Chapman
    F/D Dance: My Little Girl by Steve Kirwan
  • First Dance: My Best Friend "Tim McGraw
    Father/Daughter Dance: We will start out I loved her first Heartland then bust into Everybody by Backstreet Boys ( we danced to that all the time together)
    Mother/Son Dance: Who knows probably the same song what she danced to with her other son
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dance-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:624ebc06-b7fa-4996-86a9-17321fa1eba6Post:129d0c17-cf01-40cc-a6cd-c5203a6f12c8">Re: First Dance?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First dance: <strong>"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds</strong>. Our runner-up was "First Day of my life" by Bright Eyes Father/daughter dance: "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon Mother/son: "What a wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>I ADORE the song The Luckiest! It was one of my favorite songs in high school after my teacher made us do a review on what the song was about LOVE Ben Folds! </div>
  • First dance : "My Light" by Sully Erna
    Father/daughter dance : "Red Robin" by Clark Richard
    Mother/son : he hasnt picked one out yet...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First dance: Nothing Can Change This Love by Sam Cooke Father daughter dance: Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Iz Mother son dance: Starfish and Coffee by Prince
  • First Dance: I Just Knew, by Better Than Ezra (our first date was to a BTE concert ;) )
    F/D: I Loved Her First, by Heartland
    M/S: The Wind Beneath My Wings, by Bette Midler (MIL's choice, heh)
  • First dance with groom: The way the dance- Jump little children
    Dance with dad: You're the inspiration-Chicago(He loves chicago).

We originally wanted "Offering" by The Avett Brothers for our first dance, but it was deemed too fast. We will play it though:) I have no idea what song his mom is going to pick to dance to.
  • Our first dance: You and Me, Dave Matthew's Band (it's a little fast, but we have practice and will make it work)

Father/Daughter: In My Life, The Beatles

Mother/Son: ?? They haven't decided yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My FMIL and Fiance both didn't want to pick it they said LouAnn just do it. SO then I sent them each like 10 song ideas and surprisingly enough they both picked the exact same one, they didn't even talk to eachother about it, it was nice! 
  • First Dance: Diamond - Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers
    Father/Daughter: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Iz
    Mother/Son: Sweet Child of Mine - Sheryl Crow
    -kristine!

image 233 made the cut!
    image 186 are ready to party!
    image 47 are party poopers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dance-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:624ebc06-b7fa-4996-86a9-17321fa1eba6Post:129d0c17-cf01-40cc-a6cd-c5203a6f12c8">Re: First Dance?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>First dance: "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds</strong>. Our runner-up was "First Day of my life" by Bright Eyes Father/daughter dance: "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon Mother/son: "What a wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I've never met anyone else who has used this song in their wedding. This will be the song I am walking down the aisle too. I've loved this song since high school.

My father and FI's mother are still deciding on what they would like to dance to for the father/daughter mother/son dance. But FI and I are dancing to "For Once in My Life" by Tony Bennett
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    OP, i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. . . but it appears that your knottie name is your full first and last name.  For internet safety reasons, you might not want that out there for everyone to have access to.  Have you thought of maybe changing it to something less identifiable?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dance-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:624ebc06-b7fa-4996-86a9-17321fa1eba6Post:9e9cb14a-0c82-4fa4-8265-68f4a882523b">Re: First Dance?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First Dance: What I Really Want to Say by Steven Curtis Chapman<strong> F/D Dance: My Little Girl by Steve Kirwan
    </strong>Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

Donj't know HOW you did that, I can't even THINK about that song without crying (as I'm trying to type through tears right now, thanks)

First dance:  Martina McBride I Just Call You Mine (Oh, wait, the DJ spent the first minute playing a techno song before this song actually was played.  My bad...grrrrr...I can't even listen to our song anymore)

Father/Daughter:  I Loved Her First by Heartland

Mother/Son:  John Lennon Beautiful Boy (her pick, I think she said she used to dance to it with him when he was a baby).

My cousin and I wanted to do a choreographed dance to Magic Jump from the movie Labyrinth, but somehow that was vetoed.  Party poopers:-P
  • We don't have anything set in stone yet, but most likely

"Just a Kiss Goodnight" by Lady Antebellum for our first dance (he had asked permission for out first kiss so it kinda fits) :)

Probably the Hawaiian version of "somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole for my dance with my dad, or maybe something more upbeat and fun.  Had entertained the thought of "I loved Her First" by Heartland, but I can't hear more than the first few seconds without crying ;)

"Simple Man" (Shinedown version) for the mother/son dance if I have my way ;)  We haven't pinged this off his mom yet tho ;D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The only song we have picked out is our first Journey - Faithfully
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First Dance: "You are the best thing" by Ray LaMontagne
    Grandfather/Daughter (My father passed away when I was 18): "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Michael Buble (I swear I've heard him sing it, but if they can;t find his cover of it then Harry Connick Jr.)
    Mother/Groom Dance: "What a wonderful world" by Louie Armstrong

Are you having a final dance?! Our DJ made that suggestion to us....Not sure what it should be though.
  • First Dance: "You are the best thing" by Ray LaMontagne
    Grandfather/Daughter (My father passed away when I was 18): "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Michael Buble (I swear I've heard him sing it, but if they can;t find his cover of it then Harry Connick Jr.)
    Mother/Groom Dance: "What a wonderful world" by Louie Armstrong

Are you having a final dance?! Our DJ made that suggestion to us....Not sure what it should be though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards