Wedding Reception Forum
Options

donation as favors

i am planning on donating to the melanoma foundation. How does one go about doing that? how are u telling guests?

Re: donation as favors

• Options
    I would leave a card at the table saying in lieu of a favor a donation has been made blah blah blah.... BUT I would consider giving a donation AND a favor to guests. Giving a donation is nice and all, and you should definitely do it, but I wouldn't NOT thank your guests for coming by NOT giving them some sort of favor just so you could give a donation. I don't think it looks nice IMO.

• Options
    Personally, I don't like donations as wedding favors.   I wouldn't be offended by it as a guest or anything, but I just think if you want to donate to a cause, you should do it whenever you want, not just because it's your wedding.  If you'd rather donate the money you would spend on favors, or your wedding, go for it, but it's not a gift to your guests and you don't need to brag to them about it.  Just make a donation and skip favors.  I just don't think the two equate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    Ditto Danieliza!! If I am a guest, I really don't need it to know about the donation is in lieu to the favors.  Nor if there was no favor, I wouldn't be wondering what happened.  Favors are optional and if you don't want to do it, then just don't.  But I hate seeing little cards in everyone's palce setting, that tells them about the donation.  It is such a waste of paper. 
  • Options
    We are doing donations in lieu of favors.  i am not a fan of most favors an feel people are just going to toss them once they get home.  We are going to put a note on the seating card that we are donating in lieu. This way they know we did donations and we are not wasting more paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Ditto Dani 1000%.
  • Options
    Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's saying that in honor of this fabulous occasion, you made a donation to a cause that was important to you. I think favors are useless and I'd rather put that money towards a charity.

This is one of those, "do what you feel is right" things.

St. Judes has a website where you can donate money to them for your wedding, and they give you bookmarks. See? A favor and a donation!
    Anniversary
  • Options

WOW.  That's ALOT of flack about making a donation.  I feel that it is perfectly acceptable to make a donation in your guests name as their favor.  Favors can be a waste of money as many guests just toss them away.  I am doing my favor in honor of my mother who has passed so it not only functional but meaningful.  Yes, make the donation!  I am leaving cards with a picture of my mom and I in common areas at the reception so people will know why there aren't any tangible favors on the tables. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_donation-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:666d1158-1882-4fb6-8823-a9bdc328f22bPost:920520a6-ee86-4970-9b03-ea380c88ae33">Re: donation as favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's saying that in honor of this fabulous occasion, you made a donation to a cause that was important to you. I think favors are useless and I'd rather put that money towards a charity. This is one of those, "do what you feel is right" things. <u><strong>St. Judes has a website where you can donate money to them for your wedding, and they give you bookmarks. See? A favor and a donation!</strong></u>
    Posted by MarinoRabeno[/QUOTE]

Well, that's just silly.  So what you're saying to people is "Here's a favor to tell you why we're not giving you a favor."  That's even goofier than simply making a donation.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I don't get the point of donation favors.  "Thanks for coming!  Nothing for you, but aren't I such a good person?"

We just didn't do favors.  If you're making a big deal about making a donation, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.  Charity work is a very private thing for most people.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Donating to charity is a good thing. I don't really understand why peopel think it's something they need to announce at a wedding though. It comes off as pretentious. Praying and charity are both acts better done without a bunch of self-trumpeting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards