Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Menu for a buffet reception

FI said that we don't need any menus since we are having a buffet.  Is he right?

Re: Menu for a buffet reception

• Options
    You don't need them.  As a guest, I prefer to have one so I know whether to save room for something that's toward the end of the buffet.
  • Options
    I would suggest that you have one menu per table maybe in a picture frame so that the guests will know what is on the buffet.  Also if there will be things added later, they can be aware of it. 

i think the guest will appreciate and be able to decide what they would like before going to the buffet and alleviate long waits.
  • Options
    Menus are much more practical for buffets than for plated meals. With a plated meal, a menu card serves no purpose whatsoever. The advantages of menu cards at a buffet far outweigh the disadvantages (of which there are none). When guests find their table, they can read over the menu before they get up to fill their plates and see what is available and what to skip for any reason. This allows for lines to go much quicker than if you don't have any menu cards and people end up hemming and hawing while standing in line filling their plates as to what they want vs what they don't.
  • Options
    Frankly, I don't think menus are EVER necessary.  They're a nice to have.

So your FI is right.  Though PP have some suggstions for why you might want to have them anyway.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options

I was going to do them but at the end just said, meh, forget it.  And everyone found their food just fine and even went back for seconds without them.

If you have the time to DIY them fine, otherwise, don't worry about it.

• Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_menu-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6aa52882-1d4b-4165-8735-0afd19d612e3Post:3090a61e-4456-424f-ac5b-3252293841bb">Re: Menu for a buffet reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's nice, especially since I might not got the chicken if I know there's ham further down the line.
    Posted by jenn.daniel[/QUOTE]
    If the buffet is set up so that the main entrees are that far apart from each other that guests can't see all the options at once, the caterer is to blame, not the bride and groom. There is no excuse for that type of setup either. All the salads should be together, all the sides together, and all the entrees. Anything else is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    I think menus for a buffet are really silly -- I can see what's there and choose how much I want so I don't see what purpose they serve. I do think it's important to have little cards in front of each item to identify it.
  • Options
    We're going to do just one menu at the main buffet and one at the dessert buffet.  I don't think they're necessary on every table.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I am doing a buffet and fiance said don't bother with the menu. I hesitated for a split second, posted the menu on the website and made sure I told people it was on there when they ask. Buffet tables really aren't long enough for the fact that they won't be able to see theywould prefer chicken over the hot dogs (lol first food item I could think about) If you don't have time to do them don't worry about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_menu-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6aa52882-1d4b-4165-8735-0afd19d612e3Post:17353d69-2fd7-44a0-91a9-9a5d8fe81665">Re: Menu for a buffet reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]you don't have to have them.  It might be a good idea to at least label everything in the buffet for those with allergies (or picky eaters).  I am doing menus for a buffet however...just a fun DIY project that I wanted to do, but def not necessary
    Posted by mewebster59[/QUOTE]
    Not everything is always identifiable on sight either but no one ever mentions that, do they?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_menu-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6aa52882-1d4b-4165-8735-0afd19d612e3Post:e75cc3ee-d387-4f20-97a6-15739a5df68a">Re: Menu for a buffet reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu for a buffet reception : Not everything is always identifiable on sight either but no one ever mentions that, do they?
    Posted by Lasairiona[/QUOTE]

This is a really good point.  I recently went to a wedding where one meat option looked, to me, like chicken.  It was actually pork.  I eat pork, but many people don't and it doesn't seem good to have that kind of confusion.  They didn't have menus or place cards to label the food options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards