Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding Music Freak Out!

So I'm totally overthinking this...probably. I am T-Minus 5 months out and I am still unsure about my choice in music. My wedding is vintage hollywood circa 1940 and my colors and black, white, and pewter. It will be a very elegant affair, yet I am struggling as to whether I should have live music or a DJ. While I feel like a DJ might ruin the "feel" of the event, I also don't know if everyone will enjoy the "big band" style band I would be hiring to play live.

So let me know what you think. Do you think I should 1.) Have all big band music. Do you think everyone will enjoy it for the entire duration of the reception? 2.) Have a mix of big band music and contemporary music played by a DJ or 3.) Hire the big band and while they're on their breaks, play conteporary music?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Music Freak Out!

• Options
    I always go for live music, but have you priced this out?  The price difference between a big band and a DJ is HUGE.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think it sounds like your reception will be absolutely gorgeous but the music largely determines how much fun people tend to have and big band music is not most people's cup of tea.  That's just my two cents...  Good luck!
  • Options
    I have priced it out, and I have the budget to do either or. I guess I should have also noted that probably 80% of my guests will be over 45. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have priced it out, and I have the budget to do either or. I guess I should have also noted that probably 80% of my guests will be over 45. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    If you can afford the big band, I'd go for it.  I'm friends with people who are in big bands that perform at weddings and they are SO MUCH FUN.  Very different than the average wedding, but really really fun.  I've never experienced a wedding with a big band, but I've been to other events with a big band and it's amazing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    When else in your life will you have a party with a big band?  If it's in your budget, I say go for it!
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-music-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7f83e720-33a2-4c5b-a3a5-038261d52e4fPost:6428fef7-b147-404c-be3a-83dc06fb507c">Re: Wedding Music Freak Out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have priced it out, and I have the budget to do either or. I guess I should have also noted that probably 80% of my guests will be over 45. 
    Posted by csweaney[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Your wedding sounds very beautiful.  I'm a 52 yo MOB and while I would enjoy the big band music during breaks the band took, it is not the music that I, or any of my over 45 friends and family listen to. or dance to.  My older family members are in ther late 60's and when they are<strong> looking for nostalgia</strong>, quite a few of them are listening to Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, early Rolling Stones, the Byrds, etc.  This is the music that was happening when they were teens.  I do have a much older sister who adores the crooner boys of the 50's and 60's.  My dad would be 90 now and he ADORED big band!!</div><div>
    </div><div>I am not being snarky here, I just want you to know that being over 45 isn't going to increase their love of an entire night of big band music and get them on the dance floor.  I couldn't even begin to dance to that.  I don't mind listening to it all for for a little while, but if that was all there was, I would honestly probably leave a bit on the early side because I couldn't dance to it, and it would be one genre of music for the entire night.</div><div>
    </div><div>I realize it fits your theme and vibe, but the music is what gets people on the floor and makes for a great party.  I really encourage you to use it for the band's breaks, or have the DJ play some intermittantly if you go that route.  Mix up the music so everyone gets out there.

</div>
  • Options
    I would do big band music for the cocktail and dinner times.  After that, go with a DJ.  45 may seem ancient to you but I promise you that quite a few people who are approaching 45 get nostalgic listening to Nirvana.  People who have passed 45 may still hit the accelerator a little more when Van Halen comes on the radio.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options

Some big bands might play contemporary music.  I saw a band this summer who were amazing, horn section, etc, the majority of the crowd was under 30 and the dance floor was packed.  If I was to have a band, that would be the type I would want.  But when you say "big band" I think of two things:  my grandfather, who was in a big band, in the 30's, and Lawrence Welk.  So in my opinion choosing to have them play all night would depend on their set list.  If they truly are like the big bands of old, I would have them play at the coctail hour and dinner.

I'm not quite 45 but almost there.

June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dad used to play in a Big Band that did tons of weddings.  They were a huge hit with all age groups. Seriously, people love Big  Band music.

Also, most big bands can play classic wedding hits as well, if you want them to throw some slightly newer stuff into the mix.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-music-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7f83e720-33a2-4c5b-a3a5-038261d52e4fPost:e7abb692-5797-4918-8ea1-baa72b56d600">Re: Wedding Music Freak Out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do big band music for the cocktail and dinner times.  After that, go with a DJ.  45 may seem ancient to you but I promise you that quite a few people who are approaching 45 get nostalgic listening to Nirvana.  <strong>People who have passed 45 may still hit the accelerator a little more when Van Halen comes on the radio.</strong>
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you been spying on my driving GLB?  This is sooo true!</div>
  • Options
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-music-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7f83e720-33a2-4c5b-a3a5-038261d52e4fPost:b33396a1-4f18-4f1f-a600-d47325d4534a">Re: Wedding Music Freak Out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Music Freak Out! : Have you been spying on my driving GLB?  This is sooo true!
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

I think it's true of anything that takes you back to high school or college.  My mom was one big ear to ear smile when I took her to see Jersey Boys.  She was like a high school girl counting down to prom when she got my dad to go with her to see it again when the touring show came through Cincinnati.

A few years ago I was in my office listening to Temple of the Dog, wearing my glasses, wrapped in a big wool cardigan sweater and holding my Starbucks while it was cold and pouring rain outside my window.  One of the secretaries walked in, gave me a puzzled look and I just told her  "I'm in a very 1991 Seattle place right now."</div>
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options

Is your crowd a dancing crowd?  While I like it, you will never see me on the dance floor.  Nor my DH, we are not that type of dancers.   My aunt and uncle would however, since they are up in age with medical issues they are are only good for a dance or 2 of that kind of dancing.

I say do a mix, but it can be Big Band heavy if you want.

Oh and I'm pushing 45.  Nostalgic is Van Hallen, Nirvana, Guns and Roses, even MJ and Madonna.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-music-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7f83e720-33a2-4c5b-a3a5-038261d52e4fPost:c11e7c90-5327-48cf-b7a1-177df9d53462">Re: Wedding Music Freak Out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Some big bands might play contemporary music.  I saw a band this summer who were amazing, horn section, etc, the majority of the crowd was under 30 and the dance floor was packed.  If I was to have a band, that would be the type I would want.</strong>  But when you say "big band" I think of two things:  my grandfather, who was in a big band, in the 30's, and Lawrence Welk.  So in my opinion choosing to have them play all night would depend on their set list.  If they truly are like the big bands of old, I would have them play at the coctail hour and dinner. I'm not quite 45 but almost there.
    Posted by ciligirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Ahhh yes, this is exactly how all the big bands are that I know of.  I assumed (wrongly) that people here would understand that "wedding" big bands, play music from all eras with a big band flair.  They will not only play music of the 1930s and 1940s- they will play some music from then and some brand new hits and everything in between.  OP, I'd ask if they play music of all eras, just to be sure they are a "wedding" big band, instead of a traditional big band.  Seriously, they are fun, I promise.</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I (who am younger than 45, but older than 35 - lol) would LOVE a big band at my wedding. But I know that it wouldn't appeal to our guests. Rule number one: know your audience.

I did play in a big band for a wedding a while ago, and ver few people danced. Most people treated it like a concert and listened polietly while we played. 

We'll be using recorded music, and it will be a mix of everything: old fashioned waltzes (Irish ancestry), dance music, 'classics', rock and roll, and even some country (old and new). Our families tastes are quite eclectic, and our music will reflect this, and hopefully keep the dance floor full all night! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go for the band. A lot of bands will be able to play contemporary music as well, but people of all ages will dance to older songs, too. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I wasn't implying that people 45 and older would appreciate big band MORE, just giving some perameters as to the demographic of my wedding guests. 

You all have given me lots of food for thought. I'm thinking that I would have a better crowd response if I had a DJ who played big band type stuff throughout cocktail hour and dinner, but then cranked it up a notch and played a variety of music during "party time." With all the slow songs being from the 40s-50s. Does this seem like a happy medium?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "Big band" is a general term. What we generalize as "big band" now has its origins in the swing music of the 1930s and had "mainstream" popularity from the 1930s-1940s. The 1920s version of "big band" had its origins more in the form of jazz which then evolved with the introduction of swing. The evolution of big band went all the way through the early 1960s, actually, and it eventually lost some popularity. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd go with the band! I think it would fit the "feel" of your event better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It definitely depends on your crowd. My nostalgia tends to be 90's hip hop. I usually have more fun with a dj. We plan to do quite a mix. Everything from sir mix a lot to the Beatles, to Sinatra. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards