July 2012 Weddings
Options

What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?

What are you girls planning on doing with your dress after the wedding? 
Follow Me on Pinterest diy-paper-flowers-5

Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?

• Options
    I'm not sure yet, and very concerned about this! I wanted a vintage-y, simple dress in some natural textile, one that I could dye and wear afterwards. Guess who ended up with the princessy gown?

I'd love to donate it to charity, but there are no charities that collect brides dresses in Belgium. I'm kind of considering organizing a bridal fashion show with auction myself :). I might sell it, but my mom bought it for me and she seems to want me to preserve it. I just don't know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am preserving it I like it too much to sell it or do the trash the dress.  One day I might be able to make my childrens baptism outfits from it.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Keeping it as well. I bought it second hand already, so I feel like two weddings is enough work for one dress to go through, and I love it too much to trash it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, I'm going to preserve mine as well. Who knows what I'll do with it, but I like the idea of always having it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Preserving it.  I'm sentimental so there's no way I'm parting with it.

Also, I hate trash-the-dress sessions, but that's just me.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_dress-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:643c46a7-19c1-47ca-9482-709117cfddf6Post:7e78f257-3320-4079-ba90-4158d95c026a">Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Preserving it.  I'm sentimental so there's no way I'm parting with it. <strong>Also, I hate trash-the-dress sessions, but that's just me.</strong>
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

Of the ones that I've seen, I like the ones that don't actually trash the dress. I saw one done in an old barn in the fall and it was really pretty. But the ones where you're in the water, or getting it all dirty, or painting on it or whatever, no thanks. I think that's super wasteful.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Now I'm thinking about what to do with my dress right after the wedding since we will be going off on our honeymoon right away the next day!!! Gotta figure out something.

I'm going to keep my dress for sure, I love it too much to give it away.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_dress-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:643c46a7-19c1-47ca-9482-709117cfddf6Post:7e78f257-3320-4079-ba90-4158d95c026a">Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, I hate trash-the-dress sessions, but that's just me.
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am preserving mine as well. My mom paid for my dress and I don't think she would appreciate if I ruined my dress. I am with everyone anyways, I don't like trash the dress pics IMO. I like my dress way too much to destroy it, plus my mom would really kill me. lol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We have a program here where you can donate your wedding dresses to charity so i may do that if I decide that I don't want to keep it, however the dress I bough if a 2 piece so I may keep it and have the short dress as a cocktail or get it dyed.

. Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    About thrashing the dresses.. I think it's really wasteful.  If you paid for it yourself then fine do what you want with it but if someone help pay for it, yeah that's not right.

FI's aunt paid for her niece's dress. The aunt couldn't really afford it but she really wanted to do this for her because she was like a daughter to her. Well this niece gets divorced 6months-1 year later and invites aunt over to watch her burn the dress on the clothesline. Fi's aunt was really insulted and hurt and I really don't blame her.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_dress-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:643c46a7-19c1-47ca-9482-709117cfddf6Post:790e223d-aafc-4ef7-bb28-5bd9f1791756">Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]About thrashing the dresses.. I think it's really wasteful.  If you paid for it yourself then fine do what you want with it but if someone help pay for it, yeah that's not right<strong>. FI's aunt paid for her niece's dress. The aunt couldn't really afford it but she really wanted to do this for her because she was like a daughter to her. Well this niece gets divorced 6months-1 year later and invites aunt over to watch her burn the dress on the clothesline. Fi's aunt was really insulted and hurt and I really don't blame her.  </strong>
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sh*tty
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    i totally agree with the trash the dress sessions...i don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

my photographers do what they call a "rock the dress session" where you can take fun photos in your dress wherever you want but keep it clean and pretty for preservation later. i don't think i am actually going to do it, but i find it much more tasteful than playing in water or mud while wearing your dress.

and wow - i would be pretty mad if i bought someone a dress and then they burned it! i have never heard of anyone doing that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_dress-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:643c46a7-19c1-47ca-9482-709117cfddf6Post:cb7b27f6-8b63-455d-8119-00e5148db886">Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding? : That's pretty sh*tty
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

Yup this is what I like to call "a B*TCH move"
  • Options
    My mother preserved hers and then lost it in a move years later.
     My FI is a photographer, and I think we will have a lot of fun messing the dress! I'm kinda country and outdoorsy so we're going to go to the ranch where I grew up and do some stuff. I honestly can't wait!!!
  • Options
    When we get back to FL, we're going to take some pictures in St. Augustine again.  I'm super excited but a little nervous to strut my stuff in my dress in the middle of the day in the middle of St. Augustine..haha..ahh well at least ppl will say it's pretty! teehee..oh dear...it's going to be so hot!!!

and then i'll get it cleaned and preserved...I couldn't sell it!
  • Options
    I'm planning to preserve mine as well. NEVER could I trash a dress that gorgeous and expensive! Especially since my mom paid for it! It's very sentimental to me, so I definitely want to keep it forever :)
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I haven't really decided, but I've been thinking I might made a Christmas tree skirt out of the train of my dress.   I hate the idea of spending so much on a dress and only wearing it for a day then putting it in a box.
  • Options
    I'm probably going to preserve it. Growing up I always thought I would have loved the option of using my mothers dress in some way on my wedding day but she had borrowed her dress from a friend and then returned it, so I never got that opportunity. So I want the ability to give my daughter that option when the time comes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    I don't know, I'm a very practical person I guess. When my mom married my step dad I begged her to save it for me so I could wear it when I got married, and then I grew up and had no interest in ever wearing it. So personally, I would much rather sell it rather than having it take up space in our small house. I do want to get my bouquet preserved though, so go figure. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OH MY GOODNESS! What an awesome idea!!!! Mine would look so beautiful as a tree skirt, although with 4 cats it would get destroyed. I'm going to look up some other ideas! 
    Follow Me on Pinterest diy-paper-flowers-5
  • Options
    I will plan host a dinner in July of 2013 and invite everyone on the board.  Attire will be your wedding gown.  I heard of someone doing that once!

No, seriously, I am not sure what I'll do.  It'll be unaltered so I could resell it.  I may want to keep it and put it on every other month for fun.  I will have some nieces who may want to use it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_dress-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:643c46a7-19c1-47ca-9482-709117cfddf6Post:7e78f257-3320-4079-ba90-4158d95c026a">Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Preserving it.  I'm sentimental so there's no way I'm parting with it. Also, I hate trash-the-dress sessions, but that's just me.
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I was in awe when I heard about the trash the dress photo shoot!!!! I think its horrible, you pay so much for such a beautiful and sentimental dress just to destroy it? I'd rather donate so that someone else could be happy to even have a dress
  • Options
    So far my plans are to have a TTD/RTD session, then send it to be cleaned and preserved. But I may sell it or just preserve it without the TTD. not sure yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    I'm sentimental and keeping my big dress.  I have a shorter dress that I'm wearing to the after-party/last part of the reception.  I might bring that one with me to my honeymoon and keep it as a formal dress to wear again.  My big dress will get preserved somehow and stored away in hopes that my future daughter wants it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    BrightFireflyBrightFirefly member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I'm debating between preserving and donating to charity.

I didn't donate my prom dresses - and I regret that because they just stayed in my closet forever. -_-
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards