Wedding Reception Forum
Options

HELP! Burlap Tablecloths

Hello all! I really want to do a burlap overlay on my reception tables but i've been told its really messy and a pain in the butt to work with! Does anyone have an advice to avoid the mess and pain and get the look i want!?!?!

Re: HELP! Burlap Tablecloths

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are doing chocolate linens, with burlap runners and lace trim (which is similar to wha tyou have in the photo).  Table cloths were bought of Craigslist at $4.50 each, then I bought the burlap and lace with 50% off coupons from JoAnn's.  One of my BMs is going to sew the lace onto the burap, and I cut all the runners for her.  It's a lot of work.

• Options
    I am in the same boat! I bought burlap at Joanns' the other day to do a practice run of a table runner and WHAT A MESS! I think i am going to bite the bullet and buy my burlap table runners off of EBAY. Found some for about $8 a piece- and i am renting white table cloths to lay them over... You also might want to look into Jute Burlap- it may be less messy but im not positive. Let me know if you find a simpler way to deal with Burlap! Good luck!
  • Options
    Keep in mind that burlap is really itchy and may make so your your guests uncomfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I found burlap runners at Hobby Lobby the other day. If you use the 40% off coupon I believe they'd be around 6 dollars each. It would take you a few trips, but worth the savings IMO. Then you could heat and bond some wide lace ribbon on the edge. Sewing burlap is a pain. Just my .02.

For the record, I was thinking about doing burlap overlays, but between hemming the edges, trying to wash out the smell without destroying it, and my guests being itchy and getting the fuzzies on their clothes, I think runners are a better option.
  • Options
    What about a different fabric that looks like burlap?  Something with some texture but that isn't as rough?

I like the burlap look, but I think it would be easier to do it a table runner.  Burlap is very rough and will not be comfortable for your guests as they eat.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    As far as cutting burlap, it is not as messy if you do it correctly.  You should take an exacto knife and remove one of the strands, then grab that strand with your hand and pull on it until the strand is gone from the fabric.  After you do that, you are able to make a straight, clean cut on the burlap.  

They also sell "Fray Block" which can be used instead of sewing.  It's a liquid that your put on the fabric that dries clear.  I used that for our "Mr and Mrs" and "Cards" banners.

• Options
    I'm using burlap to "anchor" my centerpieces, instead of a whole runner. I am cutting either squares or circles to be placed on and cover a styrofoam block that will be a stand for my centerpieces. This will all be on ivory tablecloths, which I agree with PP is the best way to go. Or maybe that was another thread, but I still agree. I'm hoping this gives the look/idea of a runner, but won't require as much burlap, nor will it be itching the knees of my guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards