Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Can a reception NOT be all about dancing?

I'm marrying a man who won't dance, and I'm not a big fan of it either.  I don't mind having it available for guests, but I don't think I want to do the typical first dances/father-daughter dances/ garter toss, etc....  Do you have any ideas for ways to make the reception fun, unique, and interesting so that it doesn't seem like we just cut out a big part of it? 

Re: Can a reception NOT be all about dancing?

• Options
    You can also have some sort of performer come if you have the finances available for it. You don't technically even have to dance at your reception at all! You can be busy mingling with your guests and go from table to table and talk to people. I don't think it will be a big deal :)
  • Options
    A friend of mine had an outdoor wedding, it was very classy and they had lawn games. Croquet (sp??), badmitton, cornhole, mingling, cocktails... it was very classy, very unique and very fun.
  • Options
    We're having music, food, and conversation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    We both hate dancing too, and were going to forgoe it, but then a friend convinced me otherwise. She told me I didn't have to dance, I'd be too busy making the rounds socializing that people wouldn't expect me to be out on the floor. So, I'm having it for my guests that will enjoy it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal to skip the dancing that involves you two- like other's said, it's not all that interesting to watch. But like you said, I would provide music for those who did want to dance or just to listen to. If you have the reception outside, I do actually kind of like the idea of lawn games if you think your crowd would like it. You could do a photo booth with props- very fun. 
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Options
    Hooray! I was worried that we were the only ones who weren't doing the dancing thing. We've been getting lots of pressure from the parents... since they are paying for it, they don't want the lack of dancing to be a poor reflection on them as hosts.

But we've got our feet down. We've been toying with ideas to keep the party going besides just socializing, such as family board games and a giant twister board... and we are definitely having a photobooth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the only thing you should keep in mind is your Dad and his Mom.  My father asked specifically about the father daughter dance.  Besides walking me down the aisle He wants to dance with me on my wedding day.  It was the first thing he mentioned when I told him the news.  Just make sure your Dad isn't expecting that moment with you.
    KBLuv
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_can-reception-not-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:846d66b6-3830-4864-bac9-927c15e8348fPost:20996439-6f23-4053-b147-d3529b44999f">Re: Can a reception NOT be all about dancing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We both hate dancing too, and were going to forgoe it, but then a friend convinced me otherwise. She told me I didn't have to dance, I'd be too busy making the rounds socializing that people wouldn't expect me to be out on the floor. So, I'm having it for my guests that will enjoy it.
    Posted by anmorgan32[/QUOTE]

This. I hate to be blunt, but in response to "can a reception NOT be all about dancing?" the answer is yes, but rarely a fun one.... I <u>have </u>been to a few daytime outdoors receptions without dancing (as mentioned above) that were beautiful and fun, and in this setting I think it's appropriate. But personally, as a guest, if I'm going to a nighttime wedding, drinks and dancing are the two main things I expect. Just a personal opinion.
  • Options
    I think I have to agree with NolaBride2012...I have never been to a wedding where there wasn't dancing and if I ever went to one -I would truely be disapointed...You and your FI might not like to dance, but night time wedding, alcohol and dancing all go together. Unless it is a daytime wedding or very small, I suggest dancing for your guests sake. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    My fiance and I are not dancers either.  we are having our reception at a restaurant on lake michigan that has live bands every weekend.  So the people who want to dance can go outside and dance and I don't have to feel like since I dont want to dance, no one else can. 
  • Options
    We're not having a dance either. We are doing cocktail hour with appetizers and open bar - then guests will be seated for dinner. Afterwards the pianist who will be playing dinner is having the rest of his jazz group come and play instrumental music. There won't be a dance floor but if there is space our guests are welcome to bop around and dance if they so choose.

My wedding is also adults only, and only 65-75 people (including wedding party) so if you're an adult and can't entertain yourself with good drinks, food, friends, and jazz - then you can be my guest and go elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards