Wedding Reception Forum
Options

alternatives to sweetheart table and head table

Are there any?  I feel like sweetheart tables border on antisocial, and with 6 attendants on either side of us and whatever SOs, that's a really long head table (approximately 18).  The venue's round tables seat 8-10, so if we were to sit with our parents, we'd still have to think of 2-4 more people to sit there, and I think I'd rather have my parents (and my FI's parents) off entertaining relatives from OOT, etcl.

Re: alternatives to sweetheart table and head table

• Options
    The head table would be 18 without parents but with dates for all wedding party members.  I just can't imagine how to pick with which of wedding party to sit if we sit at a smaller table.  I have both a maid and a matron of honor, my FI has three brothers who are sharing BM role.  Argh.  That's why I was playing with the idea of sitting with parents to keep things neutral, but that just doesn't sound... fun....
  • Options
    Your maid and matron of honor along with the 3 brothers (best men) and all of their guests could sit at one table.  That would make 10 at the table.  You could then sit with the rest of your bridal party at another table which would be 8-10 at that table.  Placement wise it just kind of works out to fit everyone on the least amount of tables without excluding an MOH or best man from your table the other way around.  I'm sure your parents would enjoy sitting with you though.  However, I agree...it could be a little more fun with the bridal party.  Other than that my only suggstion would be to reserve a few tables for the bridal party and mark two chairs for you and your hubby.  Let the rest of the bridal party seat themselves then you don't have to pick.  Wish I could be of more help.
  • Options
    We're having parents at the head table. Not what most people do, but it's what we're doing. *shrug* (It's not really a head table - it's round, but it's where we are sitting.) Our parents live on different continents so it is probably the only time our families will ever all be together.
  • Options
    We're not having either Wink

Our reception isn't featuring a sit-down meal, we're serving heavy hor d'ouerves. So we have five large round tables where some people can sit and five tall cocktail tables where people can stand and eat, not to mention the couches and chairs inside the house and the picnic tables on the beach. We have 85 guests, and we definitely wanted an environment condusive to mingling and dancing.
  • Options
    We're doing a table with us, our parents, and our grandparents.  We each only have 2 grandparents so that'll give us 10 people at our table.  Since its just for dinner, I wouldn't worry much about your parents needing to entertain
  • Options

I just attended a wedding where the bridal party consisted of 14 people. Instead of having a head table with everyone in the bridal party sitting at it they just had the bride, groom, maid of honor, and best man. It worked out great.

• Options
    You could always do the head table without dates. . .that's traditionally how i've seen it done.  We're in a nice position though, because our wedding party gets along and their dates all know someone else they can sit with.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alternatives-sweetheart-table-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:86ffc74a-1f23-4629-897a-a2a2bcd01e6ePost:dcf3f4d9-ef35-4524-b7ff-77583caa9cfe">Re: alternatives to sweetheart table and head table</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always do the head table without dates. . .that's traditionally how i've seen it done.  We're in a nice position though, because our wedding party gets along and their dates all know someone else they can sit with.
    Posted by pineapple1012[/QUOTE]
    That's pretty much the opposite of what we recommend around here.  You don't separate someone from their dates at an event that is supposed to celebrate love and togetherness.  How would you like to be seated away from your husband at your wedding?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We are doing what is called an estate table. It is a rectangle table that will be in the dead center of the room. It can seat 30 people! So we are having our wedding party with their dates, parents and grandmothers (we have no living grandfathers) all sit at this head table with us. I am using place cards at this table and special signs for me and FH. The rest of the guests will be in designated seats at round tables surrounding  the center table. I had never heard of this before but our reception site suggested this when we said we wanted a head table and we also wanted our wedding party to be able to sit with their dates. It's at least an alternative idea! Good luck!
  • Options

Sweetheart table for the two of you. Look up and out and smile at people a lot and it won't be antisocial...and you're not likely to spend tons of time sitting at your table anyway!

Divvy your wedding party and their dates up amongst all the other tables. That is, one W/P member plus date per table.

• Options
    We do not have any attendants, but we are sitting with our parents at a round table... I figure we wont be spending much time just sitting and eating :)
  • Options
    Our venue doesn't do head tables, as it's a quaint sea captain's home. So we have a sweetheart table and our wedding party will be sititng with their guests and families.

We'll be the first ones served so once we're finished, we'll be able to greet guests at their tables, and no one will notice that they're no head table, and it will all go faster. Our wedding party won't feel like their on display as well.  We're looking forward to having dinner by ourselves as Mr. & Mrs. 
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! My Planning Bio "http://lisa-rj.weebly.com"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alternatives-sweetheart-table-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:86ffc74a-1f23-4629-897a-a2a2bcd01e6ePost:19ec8423-d636-4a49-b92f-3bd66af776c9">Re: alternatives to sweetheart table and head table</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: alternatives to sweetheart table and head table : That's pretty much the opposite of what we recommend around here.  You don't separate someone from their dates at an event that is supposed to celebrate love and togetherness.  How would you like to be seated away from your husband at your wedding?
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

Well, as a bridesmaid, i always take the attitude that it's NOT my wedding, so I don't see the relationship to being seperated from my husband!  I'm in two other weddings this summer, one two weeks before mine, and one three weeks after.  On both occasions i will be sitting away from my husband.  We can deal with it haha.

That being said, my advice is what's typical where I'm from.  I'm not saying it's the best or only option, but if you have a bridal party that gets along (ours is my brother, two of his brothers and his sister, and four of our friends from college) and who are either single or have dates that know other people (as is the case for us) there's no harm in it.

And besides, it's jsut for dinner! it's maybe an hour, though typically not even that long that people are just sitting at their table.  After that, everyone is milling around and working the dance floor anyway :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards