Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Accent Color Ideas Needed

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a good accent color (or two if they go together!) for my fall wedding. Main colors are gold and white/ivory. The venue has a lot of shades of gold, dark wood, crystal chandeliers, and the carpet is dark brown with a red and gold leaf pattern (we're using the pattern in gold for our invitations).

I'm looking for an interesting color or colors that I could use for bridesmaids' dresses and/or flowers and/or little accents anywhere.

Any ideas would be appreciated! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Accent Color Ideas Needed

• Options
    The venue colors don't matter.  I can't begin to tell you the color of the walls/carpet/window treatments at my son's or DD's weddings. 

The colors you've chosen are very, very neutral.  Gold and white/ivory means that any color....with perhaps the exception of silver works well as an accent color.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    lcoreylcorey member
    First Comment
    What about maroon, emerald, navy blue. Those all go well with gold and white/ivory. I personally like the maroon or burgundy and gold.
  • Options
    I like the maroon and burgundy idea. Perhaps eggplant or a very deep red?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    trix is right- with a neutral and a metalic you can pretty much pick any color for an accent.  So you need to decide which way you want to go- warm or cool (with gold as one of your colors I would stay in a warm color, so reds, oranges, purples with a red undertone, etc.  If you are having trouble go to a paint store and grab color samples in your 2 known tones and play with others till you find one you like!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like the navy, eggplant, or dark red options!

I do disagree that venue colors don't matter. I can see where they might not in some settings, but I think sometimes it does. I visited my venue when they were setting up for a bright teal wedding and it just looked strange with all of the warm tones in the room.

But either way, thanks everyone for your input! Now the fun part: imagining which color to use and how to incorporate it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think teal and warm tones sounds fine...  Our dream kitchen is warm woods and cobalt accents.  There are honestly very few colors that DON'T go together.

I think you're overestimating how much attention people will pay to your venue.  If anyone notices that the invitations match the pattern on the carpet, I'll personally buy you a drink.  Those aren't the sort of things that guests care about, except the ones planning their own weddings.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

I had a November wedding and a similar venue and I did champagne, black and ivory and my linens were gold.  Drapes and chandeliers were gold and the carpet was gold and red.  The girls wore champagne dresses. 

I also toyed with deep red or chocolate brown to go with the gold and ivory.  But the PP are right--go with the colors you love.  I just happened to love all these colors myself.

• Options
    I thought about black, too, but I went to a university whose colors were black and gold, so I didn't want people to think I had insane school spirit or something. ;P But I bet it was pretty!

I don't really have a color I've been wanting to use, just looking for some ideas of what would look good together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I say the navy blue would be pretty or maybe a  deep purple?
  • Options
    gold, cream, and dark brown? gold, cream, any color would work... pink, dark purple...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    Eggplant or deep red sound beautiful with those colors.  But I might be partially baised because I am using light ivory and eggplant for my color scheme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mean to toot my own horn but I am kind of a color professional.
    My advice : dark red.
    Stay away from blue at all costs!! I think eggplant it too cool.  And if you have dark wood accents don't go too dark.  You could also think about a pumkin or burnt sienna color but think medium to medium dark gray and make sure you have a WARM color. Even oranges reds and purples can be more cool than warm. So no burgundy- its too cool.

I agree on the black and gold thing being in CO and my HS colors were black and gold people think school spriit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards