Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Disposable cameras for the reception

I'm looking to buy several disposable cameras for the reception tables. I would like for them to have auto flash...any suggestions as to where to order? thanks!

Re: Disposable cameras for the reception

• Options
    If cost is an option, I'd check out local dollar stores for sure.  They usually have those things.  Oh!  And party stores would absolutely have them, though they'd be a little pricier than the dollar stores.  

If price doesn't matter, check out MyWeddingFavors.com.  I've bought from there before and they're a pretty good website to buy from.  The cameras are kinda pricey in my opinion (the cheapest being $5.28/camera) but they're a little more stylish than the dollar store ones.

I was able to find a couple coupon codes for you too for that website:
    FREEWB1 --> for $5 off of a purchase of $50
    SAVENOW  --> 10% off a purchase of $75
    SUMMER25  --> $25 off orders of $200
    FSSUMMER  --> Free shipping on orders over $149
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, another suggestion I just thought I'd throw out there...
    What a lot of people are doing now is instead of providing disposable cameras, they open an account at PhotoBucket or another image hosting site, and provide the account information on cute little cards at the place settings.  This is because so many people have digital cameras now, and they're going to take pictures with them anyways.  So, they can go online at their convenience after leaving your wedding, go to the website you provided and upload the photos for you.

I'll probably be doing the disposable camera thing too though, since I have a lot of older, non-technology-savy people at my wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This isn't really the answer to your question, but I'm going to put it out there anyway for you to think about.

There's a reason that disposable cameras are cheap.  It's because they take crappy photos.  And then you have to develop them to see the pictures you may or may not want.

There have been stories here of brides who put disposables on tables and got few, if any, usable photos.  Some were questionable taste, some were of the floor, chairs, bathrooms, or so dark that you couldn't really see them anyway.

Since almost everyone brings a digital camera with them now, you're better off asking your guests to load their pictures to a photo sharing site.  That way you can see the photos and choose the ones you like.

FWIW:  The only person I know that still thinks disposable cameras are the way to go is my 78 year old MIL.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Disposable cameras create an extraordinary amount of waste.  The cameras themselves are bulky and non-biodegradable, the development process creates quite a lot of chemical waste, and the pictures very rarely turn out anyway.

We had at least four guests who brought cameras whose pictures were posted to Facebook within a day or two, and a couple more whose pictures followed shortly after.  Considering that there were only 40 guests in attendance, that was plenty of extra coverage.  If you really think that you're not going to get enough shots from people's personal camera, there are places where you can rent digital cameras.  The pictures turn out much better and it's much better for the environment.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_disposable-cameras-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:93c49a34-4e67-43f7-9c55-c830a84926c9Post:336c3622-a70e-4799-8d1b-1e65455d4ca2">Re: Disposable cameras for the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE] there are places where you can rent digital cameras.  The pictures turn out much better and it's much better for the environment.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't you worry about someone stealing it, though? I know it's a horrible thing to think about, but I've heard horror stories of cards and gifts being stolen from weddings. I think a digitial camera would work better (personally, I want a photobooth but really dislike dispoable cameras), but you really never do know...
  • Options
    i agree with PP. don't waste the money. my SIL did this and got no good photos back. most of the guests have digital cameras anyway which they shared with her afterwards. save the money or spend it elsewhere.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_disposable-cameras-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:93c49a34-4e67-43f7-9c55-c830a84926c9Post:27c31825-c98a-43de-bd02-7144e86a23d4">Re: Disposable cameras for the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]This isn't really the answer to your question, but I'm going to put it out there anyway for you to think about. There's a reason that disposable cameras are cheap.  It's because they take crappy photos.  And then you have to develop them to see the pictures you may or may not want. There have been stories here of brides who put disposables on tables and got few, if any, usable photos.  Some were questionable taste, some were of the floor, chairs, bathrooms, or so dark that you couldn't really see them anyway. Since almost everyone brings a digital camera with them now, you're better off asking your guests to load their pictures to a photo sharing site.  That way you can see the photos and choose the ones you like. FWIW:  The only person I know that still thinks disposable cameras are the way to go is my 78 year old MIL.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

I was going to go with disposables, but decided against it for all of the reasons above. Almost everyone brought their own digital camera and we seriously got hundreds of (good) photos from our guests.
  • Options
    We are considering doing cheap digital cameras (intimate wedding, I'll only need to get 4). These are only 11.50 each. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=CD30BT&cpc=RESX
  • Options
    Oh, good idea JenniferC2010!
  • Options
    so many people now own their own digital cameras that disposables have kind of become a waste of time, effort, and money.  Personally, I'd skip it.  I'm sure more than one of your guests will bring their own cameras.
  • Options
    I think a great alternative to the disposable cameras is the photo share cards. Most of your guest will probably have cameras and most till probably have access to the internet. I'm thinking about doing this because its a great way to get lots of photos that your phototog might have missed of friends and family.
  • Options
    We did disposable cameras and I feel like pp's, it was a waste of money. I would spend your time on getting the word out about a photo share site instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards