Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ugly, Ugly Gym Reception Decoration Ideas Needed

Originally, I wanted a small, intimate ceremony outside.  However, since my parents and my fiance's parents have put the guest list in the 200's, we're going to have the ceremony at my home church.  We have a very limited budget, so we're also considering having the reception in the gym. 

Now, I'm not one of those brides who needs everything to be perfect, but even this space has me questioning the possibility.  It could look like a wonderland if we had the money, but with our budget, I just need some ideas.

Here's a picture of the gym so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.  Ugly concrete floors (with yellow basketball markers), walls that look unfinished, and exposed florescent lighting.  Eek.

Any tips, ideas, or help would be incredible.  Thank you!

Re: Ugly, Ugly Gym Reception Decoration Ideas Needed

• Options
    There are some good tips here.  http://www.ehow.com/how_7378853_decorate-reception-hall-budget.html

I'd say focus mostly on soft lighting (candles and twinkle lights everywhere) so you can turn off the flourescents and the linens.  I really wouldn't worry about the floor. 
  • Options
    ummm i wouldve kept guest list small and not been hijacked by family.  but im not sure how to decorate the gym sorry
  • Options
    That was helpful Southern.  If the parents are contributing financially, then not letting them "hijack" the guest list isn't an option. 
  • Options
    doesnt say.... but looking at space i think if wanna "cover" floor will cost and IMO most pple wont pay attent to floor.  if there are basketball hoops i would have them in the up postion. i would concentrate on the tables and entrance decorate in a way that would draw guests eyes to the areas that you want to concentrate on and not on the "ugliness" as you put it.  if the reception at nite dim the lights and if at all possible use up lighting. 
  • Options
    Look at prices for uplighting and draping in your area. It really made all the difference in our room. I agree with the PP who said if the lights are low the floor won't be as big of a concern. 

Can you rent linens and chairs? Or chair covers if you use the folding chairs? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    if at all possible i would look at your budget. find out what renting linens, chair covers, uplighting and the such would cost vs.  having your reception at another venue.  per head for each.
  • Options
    You could use Tobacco Canvas to cover the walls. I would look at farm supply online. I have seen it at the local farm store for 9x100 for 55.  and 12x100' for 65.   It would cover a huge area for pretty cheap.   I am not sure if your allowed to hang things in the gym or not.  My daughter went to a wedding in a gym   said it was really nice and no one paid attention to the walls and the floor was hardwood, great for dancing.  They had lighting. Ask your local rental place or a party planning place what can be used.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ugly-ugly-gym-reception-decoration-ideas-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:994fb1b1-efb8-4be3-89d3-1c3d2129d82dPost:fe487086-686f-4a84-9265-42cf63536bbb">Ugly, Ugly Gym Reception Decoration Ideas Needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Originally, I wanted a small, intimate ceremony outside.  However, since my parents and my fiance's parents have put the guest list in the 200's, we're going to have the ceremony at my home church.  We have a very limited budget, so we're also considering having the reception in the gym.  Now, I'm not one of those brides who needs everything to be perfect, but even this space has me questioning the possibility.  It could look like a wonderland if we had the money, but with our budget, I just need some ideas. Here's a picture of the gym so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.  Ugly concrete floors (with yellow basketball markers), walls that look unfinished, and exposed florescent lighting.  Eek.  Any tips, ideas, or help would be incredible.  Thank you!
    Posted by KellyBreanne[/QUOTE]

If both sets of parents are pushing the guest list higher than you had originally anticipated, I'm assuming they are contributing financially?  If so, then look to putting money towards lighting, flowers, nice linens.....maybe see how much it would be to put a floor over the concrete.  Concrete always seems so cold to me.

If they are not contributing financially, I think you should tell them that the guest list isn't possible and stick to what you had originally wanted.
  • Options
    They're paying for almost all of it entirely, so their input is mandatory.  I don't think the floor will really be that much of a problem, really, like all of you said.

One good thing about using the gym as our recpetion hall is how closely involved we are there.  My dad's best friend is the pastor, my mother practically runs the kitchen, and most of the members helped raise me.  We can use the sanctuary and gym and the church's kitchen, tables, chairs, linens, plates, and silverware all for free.  As long as we clean up afterward, we can do pretty much anything we want with the space...

It would definitely be worth looking into finding some drapings to hide the ceiling.  Unfortunately the reception won't be at night (according to plans so far), but I think it could still work.  Thanks for the tip about Tobacco Canvas!  I'd never heard of it before, but it looks like a really good option.

Thanks everyone!  :)
  • Options
    Uplighting! It makes a world of difference. If you can get twinkly lights and lots of candles, that'd be great too. Like Girlie said, having the overhead fluorescent lights off will make a difference. 

• Options
    Would you have your wedding in a tent?   can you put a tent just the top part inside this building?  That would take care of what the ceiling looks like.
  • Options
    As this space has meaning to you and your family, I wouldn't even worry about spending money trying to hide the ceiling and walls.

I agree with stage that I would concentrate on pretty table decorations, good music, good food, good fun with great friends and family

If you can do alternative lighting so as not to have to use the flourescent lights, then I would probably do that but otherwise I would just use a few things to draw the eye and let the rest be.  

A couple years ago we hosted a "senior prom" for our church in a facility similar to a gymnasium.  Our decorations were simple but elegant table centerpieces, 3 large balloon arches (side by side in a row made from silver and pink link-a-loon ballons), and several balloon "trees" setting around.  We used white christmas tree lights and flameless tea lights to add ambiance.  We had so many comments about how elegant it looked like a wonderland with everything in pink, silver and lights
  • Options
    I love this wall of balloons- you could try do something like this to draw attention away from the walls- I don't know if balloons would even go with your theme...just a thought.
  • Options

Looks like my venue-National Guard Gym. We are drapping the ceiling with tulle-i got a heck of a deal to hide the basketball nets that will be in the UP position. We are renting table linens. We are covering the bleechers that will be in the folded position with cloth and putting candle holders across the top with the led lights in them. We also are getting white xmas lights with white wire to drap in the tulle. We found hollowed out collums to put around the dance floor with uplighting in them. And then of course the normal table decor-all and all its not costing us to much. The nice thing with a place like that is that its a blank slate however it will take a lot of work to not make it look like a gym., Thats my goal-no gym.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards