Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ceremony/Reception on different days

Anyone having thier ceremony on one day then getting married on another? My FI and I plan to get married on our anniversary, but it falls on a Tuesday in the year we want it. Unfortunately the years it falls on a weekend day are March 2011 (way too little time) or MArch 2015 (way too much time) so we picked March 6 2012, which again is a tuesday. We are plannign to have our reception the following friday.

Anyone else do this? Any advice? It's just the beginning, only engaged a few weeks. it feels a little overwhelming at the beginning of the planning

Re: Ceremony/Reception on different days

• Options
    Reception immediately follows ceremony.  Just have the wedding on a Friday or Saturday.  I have never, ever understood this fixation with getting married on your anniversary, especially when it creates issues (and a weekday wedding definitely creates issues for the guests).  What's wrong with having two days to celebrate your relationship?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Ditto Aerin: There is no need to put guests through two days of hassle just so you can fulfill some unnecessary requirement of getting married on a certain day and then not celebrating it until a few days later.
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out why March of 2011 is way too little time to plan your wedding.  I'm doing mine 6 months from proposal to wedding.  If the day is that important to you why not make it happen then? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremonyreception-different-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b5f29cb-1ffc-4bc7-9e43-8b3b119cfaacPost:1fd44eae-6f03-419f-b964-ca90c1b1e1ba">Re: Ceremony/Reception on different days</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm trying to figure out why March of 2011 is way too little time to plan your wedding.  I'm doing mine 6 months from proposal to wedding.  If the day is that important to you why not make it happen then? 
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]
    My SSIL planned her wedding in five weeks.  It was lovely.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Are you planning to invite your guests to both events? Perhaps if you had a very private ceremony on Tuesday (like courthouse or immediate family only) you could get away with it. Please don't invite guests to Tuesday and Friday. I would think that was annoying to have to go to events on two separate days.

I also don't understand the fixation of getting married on an anniversary or a very specific date. We chose our date randomly based on when venues were available and the season we wanted. It will be one of the happiest days of your life no matter what the date is. Why not have another date to celebrate?
  • Options
    BisttiBistti member
    First Comment
    It's tradition in my family going back about 5 generations to get married on your aniversary. And March 2011 is too soon because I am i college and we do not have the money, or time to plan anything.

Our wedding is private, our immediate family and a very few select best friends.

With everyone else being invited to the reception. My family is fully supportive of the two separate days, as well as my MOH.

I was more asking for advice on how not to create a stir if people are no invited to teh wedding protion.
  • Options
    It's your wedding, so I'd go with the date that makes you happiest.  As a retail person, I wish that Tuesday weddings would be the norm - it's much easier for me to take a Tuesday off than a Saturday!  I would just make sure that you're inviting people to celebrate your marriage (and not your wedding) and that you only invite the people from the ceremony to your shower.

And have an open bar!  :-)
  • Options
    I'm actually having my ceremony and reception on two different days. The primary reason is I didn't want everyone at the wedding. We are doing a private ceremony with immediate family only (originally I wanted just me and fi, but his fam said they had to come, so now my family is too). I would not suggest doing this if you are having a large guest list for the ceremony. It would complicate things for both you and your guests.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    "Anyone having thier ceremony on one day then getting married on another?"
    um you get married at the ceremony. you have a RECEPTION after.

if it's SUCH A tradtion wait for another year when it will be convenient for you and guests.

• Options
    Don't invite people to a wedding reception.  Try something like "celebration of the marriage of .....".  You will probably then just have to explain it to a ton of people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get it.  Our first date was Dec.  Our wedding was in July.  Two dates to celebrate.  I think if the date is so important to you, then wait until it falls on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to get married.

As for having a "ceremony" on Tuesday, and "getting married" on another day:  once you have your ceremony you're married.  You can't get married on another day unless you have a divorce in between.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    If you're just having a few people at the wedding ceremony and they are all fine with coming to both, then I think your plan is fine.  I agree though that you can't expect people who were not at the actual ceremony to come to pre-wedding events like showers, etc.
  • Options
    Just get married the two of you and have the celebration on a day that works for your guests!
  • Options
    Everyone, I think the Ceremony on one day and getting married on another was a typo.  If you look at her subject line it is ceremony/reception on different days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also having my ceremony and reception on separate days.  Ours is a Friday ceremony and a Saturday reception.  We planned it this way because of some family issues so we are having a small intimate ceremony and then a big reception.  Most people I have talked to about this don't get upset that they won't actually be at the wedding ceremony.  They understand the situation and I think as long as they get to be there to celebrate they seem happy. I don't think it should offend people if you do it this way.  They are still part of your wedding celebration.
  • Options
    BisttiBistti member
    First Comment
    Thank you mysticl It was a typo I meant to say having the wedding reception on a different day. Appartently even though there si speel check there is nothing for the stupid mistakes that sometimes just come out in my writting lol :)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one doing to separate things. I like the idea of calling it a celebration instead of a reception,

thanks everyone :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards