Wedding Reception Forum

live centerpieces

Is it a bad idea to use live fish in a part of my centerpiece?? ive heard different things. one said it was comletly terrible. what do you think??

Re: live centerpieces

• Awful, awful, awful.  Did I mention awful?  Why?

Fish are living things that need specific living conditions.  You can't just dump fish in a vase and hope they live.  Depending on the fish you use, you have to be aware of the water conditions, other fish that are compatible, and more.

What will you do with the fish after the reception?  What if no one wants to take them home?  Do you just dump them down the sink or out on the lawn?

What if a fish dies during the reception and floats belly-up during your party?  It's also entirely possible that you'll have a centerpiece with a trail of fish poop for your guests to look at.

What if that crazy frat brother decides that it would be funny to pour his Jack Daniels into the vase and see what happens?  Or if he decides to eat the fish?

There are just so many reasons why this is not decor and can be cruel.

Stick to candles, or flowers, or anything BUT a living, breathing creature.  Please.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Seriously, I know of weddings where guests (typically male and drunk) thought it was funny to swallow them whole during the reception.
  • You're kidding right?  Fish are live beings, not decoration.  What if one of them dies before the reception starts?  What if they poop while your guests are eating dinner?  What do you do with all of them after the reception is over?

No, just NO.  I have seen thousands of pictures of centerpieces that were gorgeous and lovely and did not have a live animal in them.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Wow. I didn't expect there to be such a negative response to this.

I think it's not a bad idea really. You could use Betta fish. They are supposed to be in small spaces (such as a vase). I would think that people would give you more credit. I am assuming that you wouldn't just 'dump' them in there as others have said. The plants actually make the environment better for them. I think that it's a unique idea. If you are concerned about what will happen to the fish afterwards you can keep them yourselves or you can find other people that would want to. A lot of people like Betta fish.

http://www.ficklefood.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/fishbowlhalves.jpg
    http://www.wedding-flowers-and-reception-ideas.com/images/fish-centerpiece01.jpg
  • No.  Just no.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I don't want to watch a fish taking a dump while I'm eating.

I don't want to watch a fish swimming around if I'm eating seafood.

The lighting and temperature in a reception hall, plus the vibrations from the loud music, can't be good for a live fish, I would imagine.

I wouldn't want to take a fish home at the end of the night, and I wouldn't want to feel pressured to take one if the bride is saying something like, "Oh PLEASE take one, otherwise I don't know where they'll go!" I wouldn't want to be sitting in a car on the ride home holding a fish bowl on my lap. I also wouldn't want to be a bride stuck with having to take home 20 fish myself (or the bride's mother/MOH who was roped into the task).

What if someone knocks the bowl over during the reception? Sure, accidents happen and a fishbowl has as much chance to get knocked over as a vase of flowers or a bowl of water and a floating candle/submerged flower, but the flowers or candles won't be flopping around on the table and suffering and dying if their bowl is knocked over.

I don't want to be afraid that my silly friends will think it's funny to dump salt and pepper into the fishbowl once they've had a few drinks. (And like a PP said, I've heard quite a few stories here about fish being swallowed as a sick joke.)

I don't consider it a good or kind thing to use a living creature as a decoration.

I don't think it's responsible to ask people to take a pet home on a whim. Whether it's a dog, cat or something as small and "easy" as a fish.

And besides, fish aren't all that easy (or cheap) to take care of ... well, if you do it properly, anyway. Aquariums are expensive, cleaning can be a PITA, you have to have the proper space for it. If you're going to purchase an animal as a pet, you owe it to the animal to have the right home for it ... not, "Eh, I'll just take one home and put it in whatever container I can find."
  • Very horrible. Fish are living creatures, not decorations!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9be072b1-c10a-4a43-8ca5-0ee2d721c5e4Post:ef5f39a8-52ff-4528-b3e8-1eed3951e6d0">live centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it a bad idea to use live fish in a part of my centerpiece?? ive heard different things. one said it was comletly terrible. what do you think??
    Posted by peyton.ballew[/QUOTE]

JIC, I can see this one coming from a mile away.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • You could always hot-glue-gun a kitten to a mirror and surround it with tealights. 
  • My uncle did this for his wedding. The fish were floating by the start of the reception.
  • Living creatures are not decorations, period,. Even folks who can't stand PETA agree on that. Most fish will be dead by the time dinner is served, which makes guests lose their appetites. I have seen this happen fairly often at non-wedding events.
  • baahhahahahh!! im at work and i just laughed my ass off!!!!!!! thanks! that was highlarious!
  • Alright you got me!! NO FISH!!!! lol. ill stick with my original idea! black candle lanterns and flower branches!
  • Well I think the idea is just great!  My cousin had them at her reception and they were a hit. None died, there was no visible pooping, and they were most definitely show stoppers!  She puchased inexpensive plastic containers with lids and gave them away to the children and any interested adults at the end of the night.  Her planners set hers up in tall glass vases and used them in the prefunction area of her venue.  It was a nice touch having something living and moving as part of her decor and was in no way seen as "animal abuse".  They were beauiful.  You can look at pictures and video at asimplychicevent.blogspot.com...I think you should go for it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9be072b1-c10a-4a43-8ca5-0ee2d721c5e4Post:2db4bb1c-c9e8-4e60-a226-6f1a263bbe59">Re: live centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always hot-glue-gun a kitten to a mirror and surround it with tealights. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Hehehehe!
  • i don't think its such an awful idea. my brother used fish as centerpieces. they looked great, and they let people take them home after the wedding. my neice added three to her fish tank and absolutely loved them :) plus, it was a good reminder of the wedding/bride and groom for the others who took fish home... no fish died during the reception. plus, if its your dream, i'd say go for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9be072b1-c10a-4a43-8ca5-0ee2d721c5e4Post:2db4bb1c-c9e8-4e60-a226-6f1a263bbe59">Re: live centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always hot-glue-gun a kitten to a mirror and surround it with tealights. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

My laptop just got a nice coffee shower lol.

I always wonder what happen to the fish that can't get pawned off on guests at the end of the night.  Maybe they go to live with the sewer gators.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards