Wedding Reception Forum

Need help/reassurance narrowing down theme and decor decisions...Argh.

I think weddings are rough for people who aren't the best at making decisions... like me!!  I'm having a really hard time sorting through the myriad ideas and inspirations I've had over the last several months and making actual choices.  All our big stuff is figured out (i.e., venue, officiant, photog, DJ, caterer) and now pretty much all that's left is deciding on how to pull details together. 

All I really know so far is I want the wedding to be fun, relaxed and semi-casual (we're having a BBQ caterer), and that I love the colors blue, green, and yellow (although I don't really care about specific shades... does that matter??). 

We're getting married at a beautiful old vintagey building on the beach, that has a working vintage carousel inside.  So there are like 3 built in themes there that I can't quite fit together: beach, vintage/shabby chic, and carnival/fair.  All really fun but how do I take my favorite pieces of each without having theme overload or having everything look like a big mess?  My Pinterest board is overloaded with ideas from all of these themes and I have so many favorite ideas.  I've had ideas of doing rustic centerpieces of mismatched green and blue bottles with just a few flowers, but also wanted to work in a "state fair" kind of thing so I was considering cotton candy as favors and maybe some blue or green gingham ribbon tied around the bottles, or for table runners.  I already printed my invites because I had a great Vista print coupon and they are gorgeous but don't fit into any of these themes, just pretty green leaves... sigh. 

Any ideas on how to tie these things together??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need help/reassurance narrowing down theme and decor decisions...Argh.

• Weddings come with a built in theme - WEDDING.

Honestly, we dind't put that much thought into the little details.  We went with neutral colors, and then had our florist pick whatever flowers he wanted in the pink/purple family, and fit into our budget.   Everything looked fantastic.

Keep it simple, throw in a few neat touches (the indoor vintage carousel is a great one!), and call it good.   And stop looking at Pinterest, it will drive you crazy!!!
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-helpreassurance-narrowing-down-theme-and-decor-decisionsargh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9bf52db4-01d4-4ba7-ab2b-6e4ad0f740bcPost:d675cf9c-d1e3-436e-a34b-85a9654aa0db">Re: Need help/reassurance narrowing down theme and decor decisions...Argh.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weddings come with a built in theme - WEDDING. Honestly, we dind't put that much thought into the little details.  We went with neutral colors, and then had our florist pick whatever flowers he wanted in the pink/purple family, and fit into our budget.   Everything looked fantastic. Keep it simple, throw in a few neat touches (the indoor vintage carousel is a great one!), and call it good.   And stop looking at Pinterest, it will drive you crazy!!!
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Ditto all of this. It's hard not to obsess over all the little details you can add, but really, hardly anyone will notice them, and you will go crazy from too many choices.
  • I think what you listed in your post sounds perfect.  Love the bottles with flowers, love cotton candy for a favor.  Your colors sound pretty too.  What color with the BMs wear?  Once you decide that, you can decide what flowers you want them to carry, then just put in your blue/yellow/green touches (think favors like you said, linens, table runners, menus, place cards, any signage you might have, card box, etc.)  Those are places you can all use your colors and add any personal touches.  It will all come together gradually, I promise!  If you are using a florist, he or she can be a big help.

And yeah, don't sweat the details too much because chances are, you are the only one who will notice them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards