Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Signature drink suggestions- old, new, borrowed, blue??

Hi ladies.  I need your drink suggestions!  I want to have a "signature cocktail" menu at the cocktail hour.  It'll just be a suggestion, and people can order whatever they want, but I thought it was a cute idea.  So, what cocktails would fall into the something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue categories?  Did you do this and did people like it?  For the old, I'm thinking of having a Mint Julep- to signify KY where we got engaged (plus we're big horse racing fans).  I'm really drawing a blank on the blue drink.  I usually stick to old classic drinks myself.  All suggestions appreciated!

Re: Signature drink suggestions- old, new, borrowed, blue??

• Options
    One of my absolute favorite drinks is a blue martini (it's a gorgeous color.)

Here's the recipe we use:
    • 3 oz (about 1/3 cup) vodka
    • 1/2 oz (1 tablespoon) dry vermouth
    • 1 teaspoon blue Curaçao
    • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    • Garnish: 2 lemon twists (if desired)
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    Almost anything with curacao in it will be very very blue (unless its mixed with something else with a strong color). You could look on one of those drink recipe sites and pick curacao as an ingredient and see what comes up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of our favorites is a blue lagoon, which is just vodka sprite with some blue curacao added.  There are a couple other blue drinks on the bar menu in my bio.  I think most of the recipes are on drinksmixer.com
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I think you should have the drinks you like, or have meaning to you. 

Otherwise, you're kind of overthinking it with drink themes, which your guests may or may not notice or get.  If they do, it will be an afterthought of "oh, .... cute, themed drinks", and most likely not "Oh WOW!  Looky!  they have a drink for something old, something new....  Isn't that clever?  How unique, they really went all out and put a lot of thought into this.".

Added:  I don't mean to say it's a bad idea or anything, it's cute and fun, as long as it doesn't stress you out planning it.  But it will probably be one of those things that is more special and meaningful to you and FI, and not something anyone else will really notice or care about that much.
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_signature-drink-suggestions-old-new-borrowed-blue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9ef9666a-6698-42d7-836f-46c492338444Post:ccea5ca3-ee15-4df7-ab56-a34a59aea274">Re: Signature drink suggestions- old, new, borrowed, blue??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sex on the Beach is blue.  Or I'm sure you can find a blue martini of some sort (they come in all colors).
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I've never seen blue ones. What is in the ones you have seen?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    ...as a bartender I agree anything with blue curacao will be pretty, try  it with blueberry vodka and some pineapple juice, YUM! Sex on the Beach is pink...looks more like a tequila sunrise.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    181 image
    Invited to the Celebration of the Year
    109 Yes image
    50 Missing Out! image
    22 Not Responded Yet image
  • Options
    If you have a friend or relative who had a good signature drink at their wedding, that could be your something borrowed.  For something new, you should invent a cocktail yourself.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I love the idea of the Mint Julep and would write something so they know the signifigance. Maybe "to celebrate our first drink as an engaged couple" type thing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards