Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each

We need to come to a decision regarding venues sometime soon, but we're having a really hard time because there are pros and cons to the two we narrowed down on. Here's the list:

Atlantis Pavilion (downtown Toronto, by the lake):
PROS: 
-amazing views and very modern space with 30 foot ceilings. 
-The food has really good reviews, and they seem to be really accomodating (despite there being fees for these things, but at least they're allowing us to bring in some outside food).
-two levels to the room (main ballroom and a lounge upstairs).
-can have a rooftop ceremony, weather permitting (back-up room provided otherwise).
-parking is $12 per car (we can pay it or the guests can)
CONS: 
-more expensive (40% more for food/bar than the other venue, despite that it's the same company and same menu for both venues). 
-smaller dance floor, which is significant for a wedding of 200-300 guests. 
-have to rent a lot of stuff such as chair covers, table cloths, etc. 

GRAND METROPOLITAN (formerly Pavilion Royale) in Mississauga
PROS:
-large ballroom, can fit a lot more people comfortably
-large dance space in the center of the room
-large skylight above the entire dance floor.
-significantly less expensive (40% less expensive food/drink)
-Royal Doulton china.
-nice, classic wood chairs that would not need covering.
-free parking.
-recently renovated.
-has an outdoor and indoor ceremony space.
CONS:
-even though most of their menu is the same as Atlantis (same company), the reviews for their food are not good.
-they do not allow ANY outside catering (so we wouldn't get cultural wedding staples in our menu).
-seem to be a lot less flexible.
-more of a traditional ballroom, so it's not very modern or unique as a space. But it still is VERY nice, I think. 

So which would you choose?

Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:b6c30c52-9e85-479d-bc61-0610c99714b1">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each : The first one but I would definitely cover the cost of parking. ETA: I just re-read.  Exactly how many people did you invite?  For me it was really important that we had good food.  We only looked at one venue and the dance floor wasn't small.  So I guess you would have to decide what's more important: quality of food or size.  Probably everyone would not dance at the same time.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>That's our problem: both dancing and food were priorities on our list :( But if I had to choose, I would rather have a smaller dance floor than potentially "Average" food.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's hard because the other venue has quite a few other bonuses (like the nice chairs, quality china, free parking (which would save us over $1000!). </div><div>
    </div><div>We're looking to invite between 260-300 people. So far we have 260 people on the "Canada" list, but we'll likely have quite a few people from out of the country as well!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:e70abee6-e108-4e19-8734-3fb8c4f800b6">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hm.  Since your wedding isn't until next May, I think you could take a couple more months before making a decision.  I also would choose a smaller dance floor over average food.  Maybe you can make another visit to both places to help think it through again.

<div>I think I agree... smaller dance floor is less problematic than average food. </div><div>
    </div><div>The unfortunate thing is that we do need to make a booking soon, since spots in May are filling up quickly and they have an Open House in 2 weeks, so they might have more people interested then.</div><div>
    </div><div>I wil definitely revisit both again... I'm going to end up being obsessive by the end of this!</div>
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Any chance they will do a test meal so you can see what the meals are really like? Everyones opition is different and you might find you enjoy one more then the other. Though I would go more for something that is more your feel. No use being at a place that you really did not enjoy just because they have a bigger dance floor.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:35f5477c-3f0c-424b-8edc-bbaa4c67a50a">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any chance they will do a test meal so you can see what the meals are really like? Everyones opition is different and you might find you enjoy one more then the other. Though I would go more for something that is more your feel. No use being at a place that you really did not enjoy just because they have a bigger dance floor.
    Posted by redsoxgirl09[/QUOTE]

<div>They only do taste tests AFTER you pay a 25% deposit, which I think is beyond useless. I even offered to pay for the tasting, but that was not an option :(</div><div>
    </div><div>Seems like we gotta go on reviews and hope for the best, but it does look like the first option (Atlantis) is winning at the moment...</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:3ac5fd58-4c10-4999-8ef7-838f3f9fd1dd">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you know anyone else who has gotten married at these places?  Maybe they could give an opinion on the food.

<div>I only know one person, who had prom at Atlantis over 7 years ago, and she said the food was terrible. She's super picky though (doesn't eat anything green, anything with condiments, anything thats not VERY well done, or anything that has been prepared with dairy products). Soooooo I'm not sure how reliable her opinion is, lol!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:b2ca5ec8-332c-4572-a96c-b83b053ce390">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't go by that opinion either, haha. Maybe sleep on it and talk to your fiance.  Things might seem clearer in the morning.

<div>Sounds like our plan :)</div><div>
    </div><div>We have meetings with both venues booked for next weekend anyways, so we have a bit of time to think about it. </div>
  • Options
    I am not understanding how the food can be better at one place if it's the same company.  But I give the slight edge to #1 also simply because you seem to prefer the overall space and feel.  I like nice chairs and china too--but not if the food is terrible.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cant-choose-between-venues-pros-cons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a8c453e4-c010-44aa-80e8-b291f88a845cPost:2e600aee-75f0-4614-a1e0-c08f99249932">Re: Can't choose between venues- pros and cons to each</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not understanding how the food can be better at one place if it's the same company.  
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not understanding that part either, but that's what it says in the revies. Most of their food items are the same, but not all. It seems like Atlantis is more diverse, while Grand Metropolitan specializes more in the chicken and seafood area. Maybe the chef isn't as good at preparing the food in the other place? I don't know... I wish this all made more sense.</div><div>
    </div><div>Choosing a venue is so difficult...! I think it's like choosing a dress though: once you choose you gotta stop looking!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards