Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Where Did You All Look To FIND Your DJ??? Craigslist? Here? Other Sites???

Having a hard time finding them in my area... Maybe I am not looking where they advertise!!! 

Re: Where Did You All Look To FIND Your DJ??? Craigslist? Here? Other Sites???

• Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Look on your local board, in the column on the left.
  • Options
    I found mine on my local board.  You can try Wedding Wire also.
  • Options
    I found our band on gigmaster.com
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BarbiiieeeBarbiiieee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    My venue required we used a certain DJ. Which works okay for us. I personally know DJ Steel in the Phoenix area and he is really good. I'm not certain that he usually does weddings or not, but it might be worth looking into!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We just Googled "wedding DJs Madison WI".  We also used a local wedding planning guide where vendors advertise.
  • Options
    I would also ask for recommendations from friends.  Not sure if you have been to weddings in your area, but that's a big help.  

We also received a ton of recommendations from our venue.  I believe that's how we found our DJ.  The venue had a number of business cards of people they had worked with and trusted, so we similarly felt comfortable with the vendor.  
  • Options
    I found ours on Craigslist. You just have to be careful, they do get a lot of cheapy ones or some that looked like scammers. But the guy we got is someone who does it as a side job, and has been contracted out by some of the major companies in the area before. So basically, we're just not paying the overhead. (He said one time he got a tip from the couple based on what they paid the company... and it was about the same as what the company had paid him). If you're careful about it, CL can be the way to go.
  • Options
    My venue had a list of preferred vendors, including DJs. We picked the house DJ because he gave us a great deal and we instantly clicked.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have heard to be careful about just trusting venu recommendations as sometimes other vendors PAY for their names to be given out by vendors. Do your research.

I looked at both Knot and project wedding for reviews of local vendors.

I also look at yelp.com to make sure no bad reviews were out there (some are inevitable with hundreds of reviews...but read them just to check "red flags"). Also, if you are really worried, check BBB for formal complaints

I found looking at the "local vendors" places on this and projectwedding.com was the most helpful

I also went to a bridal show and was able to see DJ's that way. that was VERY helpful
  • Options
    My venue had a list of preferred vendors. I checked them out on yelp and wedding wire to make sure they were reputable.
  • Options
    I got recommendations from my other vendors.  I got married in a small-ish city, and it seemed like most of the vendors had worked with each other before, so they were able to provide a few recommendations for me.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_where-did-you-all-look-to-find-your-dj-craigslist-here-other-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:aab8f769-ed78-4775-b5f9-62044abfee6ePost:f95bcfac-95fa-4d5e-aa27-2506a8979dab">Re: Where Did You All Look To FIND Your DJ??? Craigslist? Here? Other Sites???</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I have heard to be careful about just trusting venu recommendations as sometimes other vendors PAY for their names to be given out by vendors. </strong>Do your research. I looked at both Knot and project wedding for reviews of local vendors. I also look at yelp.com to make sure no bad reviews were out there (some are inevitable with hundreds of reviews...but read them just to check "red flags"). Also, if you are really worried, check BBB for formal complaints I found looking at the "local vendors" places on this and projectwedding.com was the most helpful I also went to a bridal show and was able to see DJ's that way. that was VERY helpful
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]

Venues would not give their customers the names of people they don't trust because if something bad would happen it's their name on the line.  Case in point my original photographer was a no show at a wedding. My venue fired him and found us someone better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards