Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What do you think of our ideas?

My FI and I have gone back and forth and through so many different ideas for our reception, but I think we might have come up with one we finally like and that seems to fit our budget fairly well. One of my main concerns is that our guests might get bored quickly, which I definitely do not want. So what do you think? 

Our wedding is in August, and we'd like an indoor/outdoor reception. Our ceremony will be outdoor. We have about 150 guests.

Since our budget is a little tight, we're opting for a dessert reception. So it'll start at about 8. 
For dessert, we'll do make-your-own sundaes with lots of toppings, as well as brownies and cheese cake. 
Our colors are purple and green, so we're doing mint chocolate chip (green), vanilla (classic), and raspberry sorbet (purple, also for the lactose intolerant). I thought it could be fun to do floats for the toasts, as well. 
I figure we should also have some cheese and crackers and stuff like that, so people don't get too sugared out.

For entertainment, we'd like to do a game night sort of thing. Have lots of board games and outdoor games available. Like cornhole, croquet, badminton, etc. His family loves euchre, my family loves RISK, so we'll definitely have those. Plus lots of other board game options. 

We also both love video games, so FI suggested having a separate room with gaming consoles set up. I'm a little hesitant about that one, but what do you think?

We'd also like sparklers and fireworks for our exit.

That's about alll we have so far. What do you think?

Re: What do you think of our ideas?

• Options
    I like the ideas for a dessert reception.  Maybe add a veggie tray and/or sausages and cheese if you can.

I wouldn't care for the games.  It sounds like a kid's birthday to me.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-do-you-think-of-our-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae484b8e-7af5-4ed0-8f5c-7358a05c8396Post:0695f951-3a30-4e77-8443-4959c864c068">Re: What do you think of our ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the ideas for a dessert reception.  Maybe add a veggie tray and/or sausages and cheese if you can. <strong>I wouldn't care for the games.  It sounds like a kid's birthday to me.</strong>  
    Posted by JaneAustensGhost[/QUOTE]

<div>Alright, I could see that. What would you rather do, then?</div><div>We're kinda steering away from dancing, because we feel like it's usually awkward or forced, unless there's alcohol, lol. But our reception will most likely be dry. We're more interested in enjoying each other's company and having good conversation.</div>
  • Options
    Maybe instead of games do a photo booth--I've seen some really clever DIY ideas, and then you'll get some fun memories and the guests will have fun making them for you?
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    If your wedding and reception are relaxed and casual, I see no problems with outdoor games.  I would draw the line at RISK and Euchre being out, though - it just seems like too much of a theme.

Adults like to mingle and chat.  I would think of the games more as decoration for the main event (chatting, catching up) than as the focal point of the reception.  Does that make sense?

Your dessert options sound lovely.
  • Options
    Photo booth would be fun! I could see myself doing that. :)

I definitely don't want to force people to play board games. I'd just like to have them available, maybe on a side table, for extra things to do. Pretty much like PP said. 

I think I'm still concerned that it'll be boring though. If we don't have dancing, and we don't have dinner to all sit down for, couldn't it become boring quickly? Or am I just getting paranoid?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    A dessert reception will be shorter than a reception where you have a full meal.  Are you ok with that?  I don't think people will be bored, though.  They can enjoy the snacks and dessert and mingle.  You will have somewhere for each person to sit, right?  

I think a few games is ok, if that's your style.  I definitely would not have the videogames in a separate room--that will not lend itself to socializing and mingling.  I would have some music on in the background.
  • Options
    It's also kinda hard to play lawn games in the dark.  Would you have plenty of lighting set up so no one loses their croquet ball or gets hung up in the badminton net?
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-do-you-think-of-our-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae484b8e-7af5-4ed0-8f5c-7358a05c8396Post:0695f951-3a30-4e77-8443-4959c864c068">Re: What do you think of our ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the ideas for a dessert reception.  Maybe add a veggie tray and/or sausages and cheese if you can. I wouldn't care for the games.  It sounds like a kid's birthday to me.  
    Posted by JaneAustensGhost[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. I like the photobooth idea.  Maybe have music in the background for people that want to dance?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    for me: 8 is dinner time. if you want to do a desert only then i'd make it later-9pm or earlier 2-4pm. i would also add some savory deserts like crepes etc..

i'm not too much into the game thing at weddings but i dont see an issue with some lawn games.

i would make the reception last about 2 hours max.

and i have a bit of an issue with the fireworks. if you can afford those then you can afford more food. you also have to check your local ordinances about those. many dont allow them.

• Options
    -We will have enough tables for everyone! 
    -I definitely want to encourage socializing, so I think we'll skip on the video games. 
    -We will have a playlist set up for backgroud music. 
    -Sunset isn't until 9 in August, but yes, we'll have twinkle lights and lanterns all over the place.
    -Veggies and sausages and cheese is a great idea! 

Thank you for all of your avice, ladies! This is really helping.
  • Options
    The dessert reception sounds fine.  I agree with adding some savory items.  I also don't think doing the toast with floats is a good idea.  Just serve punch or some sparkling cider.

I also don't think the games are a good idea.  I agree that the organization of this sounds like a birthday party and will be sort of cheezy.  I guess it's fine to put out a checker board or somethign like that, but the rest of it will seem more forced than dancing, in my opinion.

I think having some background music on an ipod, the snacks, desserts and mingling will be fine.  But, agree with PPs, expect your reception to last 2 hours or less.  Dry, non dancing weddings just tend to be short.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.
  • Options
    Alright, here's my revised plan, with your advice in mind. 

Reception from 8:30 to 10:30ish. 
    A few lawn games and board games available, but don't try to make it into a theme. 
    More non-dessert choices available. Veggies, sausage, cheese, etc. 
    Lots of outdoor lighting.
    Music in the background. 
    Simple drinks. 
    Maybe a photobooth.
    Bug spray. 

Am I missing anything?
  • Options
    Your plan sounds great.

Here is a possible fun idea for evening event, check out Oriental Trading to see all the cool glow neclaces & toys they have. Maybe they will have something that will add to your theme.
  • Options
    There are groups that really do play a lot of games and really enjoy them. Cards are a HUGE part of my family reunions (both immediate family and extended family). Board games are also big and I regularly have game nights with friends. If you're like that having games/cards can be a fun way to socialize without alcohol/dancing. Not everyone likes that kind of atmosphere, but if most all your friends/family do then BYALL MEANS have a wedding that'll make you happy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-do-you-think-of-our-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae484b8e-7af5-4ed0-8f5c-7358a05c8396Post:a5440a3b-9365-4772-ba26-6420d24a540a">Re: What do you think of our ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are groups that really do play a lot of games and really enjoy them. Cards are a HUGE part of my family reunions (both immediate family and extended family). Board games are also big and I regularly have game nights with friends. If you're like that having games/cards can be a fun way to socialize without alcohol/dancing. Not everyone likes that kind of atmosphere, but if most all your friends/family do then BYALL MEANS have a wedding that'll make you happy.
    Posted by anssett[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly! Thanks for the support, I appreciate it! </div><div>Like I said before, both of our families enjoy games. It's a tradition in FI's family to play multiple games of Euchre at almost every family gathering. And whenever my whole family gets togther, we ususally end up with a board game or two out. That's what made it seem like a good idea in the first place.</div>
  • Options
    The dessert reception, with some savories added to reduce the sugar options, sounds wonderful.  You can have the floats for toasts, but I'd also include some other drinks as well just to make sure.

The games?  Well, you got a mixed reaction already.  They're good for an informal get-together or a family reunion, but at a wedding, they might seem too juvenile.  So I guess that would depend on how formal your wedding is, who is coming, whether they'd just prefer to mingle and chat, and so on.
  • Options
    I've been thinking more about the games idea and I'm still trying to consider all of the options. 
    Instead of the games, would you suggest just doing dancing? Because I'm having a hard time coming up with alternatives for entertainment. Or could we do dancing and have a few games for the grandparents, etc. out as an option? (I *know* that our grandparents would enjoy them, at least). I'm just not sure anymore... Bleh.
  • Options
    My cousin's wedding this summer was appetizers only, no music, no games.  We had a great time.  Of course, there was beer and wine, so maybe that increased my good time?  I had plenty to do just socializing with family and talking to people I've never met before.  I wasn't bored in the least.  
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I honestly think it depends on what kind of atmosphere you want.  Board games and video games just aren't very "wedding-y" or formal to me.  Do you really want pictures of your wedding reception with you in a formal gown with someone playing X-Box in the background?   If so, then knock yourself out.  

For the record, we love games. We often have parties with pictionary, scrabble, and other board/video games.  Our annual christmas party always has a group playing dominos or pictionary at the table and another group playing with dance dance revolution on TV.  So, I totally get it.  In my personal opinion though, the events should match the formality of the day. You are getting married.  It's a big deal.   Mingling, socializing with your family and friends and allowing them the time and space to catch up with each other, is activity enough for me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-do-you-think-of-our-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae484b8e-7af5-4ed0-8f5c-7358a05c8396Post:939a953e-7f95-4614-90c2-4121881d200b">Re: What do you think of our ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The games would be fine with me. I'd enjoy that.  I had a backyard wedding with outdoor games myself, and the guests loved it. I'm fine with no alcohol at a wedding.  I would recommend more ice cream choices, and not worry about matching the wedding colors.  I wouldn't be able to eat the mint chocolate chip (allergic to chocolate) or the raspberry unless it was real raspberry (allergic to red food coloring) which would limit me to the plain vanilla. If you've got guests with food allergies or migraine history, please offer a full sundae bar. :) What about making it a backyard barbecue? A knottie went to Costco and bought fixings for hotdogs, potato salad, beans and chips, and fed her guests for $4 per person. My wedding cost less than a thousand dollars. Dress from David's Bridal - $99 Silk shirt and pants for him, bought on clearance after Christmas Table and chair rental - $200 Drinks in iced party tubs - $80 Partyware and tiki torches, Party City - $85 Barbecue from local restaurant - just under $500 satin and lace album, eBay - $5 Music, CDs we mixed ourselves - $0 Flowers, growing out of the ground - $0 We went to Kinko's and bought some pretty stationery (lesss than $5) and selected a nice font on the printer.  We invited everyone to a "backyard barbecue in celebration of our marriage" with "shoes optional" at the bottom to indicate it was super-informal.  The wedding party were his kids, in their own clothes and barefoot. We set up the volleyball and croquet sets.  The guests loved the casual, informal atmosphere and it was a great party.   
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Even coming from a drinking partying type crowd I would much prefer ^this type of reception (or even a dessert/light snack reception) than attending a dessert reception at 8:30pm.</div><div>
    </div><div>IDK, 8:30 is dinner time of me, I'm not really a dessert person or board games.  I don't think your plans are bad, just NMS.  I would prefer to attend a shorter, few hour reception early in the day.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I am having a backyard reception next May.  We are planning on having dancing, a photobooth, and yard games!  We will be serving dinner though.  However, I love the games idea and your desserts sound delicious!  I would recommend having more ice cream flavors, as others have suggested!  If you want board games or card games, go for it.  Weddings are unique for each family/group, so if it works for you - do it!  Don't skip it based on the styles of anyone other than yourself and your FI! 

What day of the week are you planning your wedding for?  I think that can also be a deciding factor as far as time is concerned!  
  • Options
    I started drooling a little reading about an ice cream sundae bar. It's been too long since I've had one...

I personally love the idea of outdoor games. With my mom's family, we play cornhole until we can't see what we're trying to hit anymore! With my dad's family, card games are how we socialize, so I would definitely recommend having cards available. One of my cousins even gave out decks of cards as wedding favors, which we were all eccstatic about, even though we ended up spending the most of the night drinking and dancing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could also try working citronella candles into your table decorations, to help with the mosquito problem.  They don't smell quite as nice as flowers, but they're better than they used to be, and I've seen some nice looking ones out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards