Wedding Reception Forum

Food question kinda long

Ok, So after talking with my dad , he asked if we wouldn't mind paying for half of the wedding. ( originally he was going to pay for it, but changed is mind). I am ok with that I don't mind. But we decided with a smaller budget also. ( yes I already know I shouldn't expect anyone to put anything towards the wedding) We have cut back the guest list as much as possible. 

So down to my question's Is a cake and heavy and light appetizer only wedding tacky, instead of dinner and cake? What time would be a good time to serve that? 
I just am scared people will be judgmental.  Has anyone been to a cake and appetizer wedding? Thanks in advance.

Re: Food question kinda long

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-question-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b06980bd-8641-4670-a1cd-5bde8bd6f828Post:721afef1-dc0b-4b0d-8c28-12645a915d23">Re:Food question kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had cake and light apps. It was great, just know<strong> it will naturally be a shorter reception</strong>. Ours was about 3 hours. The best time to do this kind of wedding though is to <strong>have the ceremony start around 2pm or 8pm. That way you aren't crossing a mealtime.</strong>
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. I think if you mention "cocktail reception to follow," in your invites your guests will get the hint!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-question-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b06980bd-8641-4670-a1cd-5bde8bd6f828Post:af4c5e86-58d1-4e7a-92a0-eabcba9c66be">Re:Food question kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Food question kinda long : Exactly this. I think if you mention "cocktail reception to follow," in your invites your guests will get the hint!
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]
    I didnt think about wording it on the invite like that. Thanks!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-question-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b06980bd-8641-4670-a1cd-5bde8bd6f828Post:721afef1-dc0b-4b0d-8c28-12645a915d23">Re:Food question kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had cake and light apps. It was great, just know it will naturally be a shorter reception. Ours was about 3 hours. The best time to do this kind of wedding though is to have the ceremony start around 2pm or 8pm. That way you aren't crossing a mealtime.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>Its on a sunday so do you think 2pm is ok will that give them time for church people to be out and come to the wedding in time? 

</div>
  • you can have a apps and cake in the late afternoon,just make sure to provide tables where your guests can leave the plates etc (and you should have some waiters to clean often the tables)! the atmoshpere wuold be great with candles... enjoy...

• MrsNerraw13MrsNerraw13 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    We are getting married at a venue that does clean up after the wedding so I have that part covered. But since we had to cut the budget we figured out to not go with the high priced meal option from the venue, which thankfully they allow on sit and off site catering. 
  • A lot of my friends were married in churches where dancing wasn't allowed, so they went with cake and punch receptions as they're naturally shorter anywhere.  They're totally fine - especially if you have delicious cake!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-question-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b06980bd-8641-4670-a1cd-5bde8bd6f828Post:42c491e6-4c95-4a46-a452-995239272e74">Re: Food question kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of my friends were married in churches where dancing wasn't allowed, so they went with cake and punch receptions as they're naturally shorter anywhere.  They're totally fine - especially if you have delicious cake!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes it is going to be very yummy cake, top and bottom layer are strawberry and the middle is pink lemonade. 

</div>
  • omg, that sounds delicious!  I've never had a strawberry lemonade cake before.  Yum!
  • If you aren't having alcohol, don't call it a cocktail reception.  Cocktails are alcoholic by definition.  Call it an hors d'oeurves reception, although some will say that you should only say "reception to follow" as the time of day will indicate the type of reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-question-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b06980bd-8641-4670-a1cd-5bde8bd6f828Post:e5dd5920-f3e7-4fe7-8997-0d641cfca42a">Re: Food question kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you aren't having alcohol, don't call it a cocktail reception.  Cocktails are alcoholic by definition.  Call it an hors d'oeurves reception, although some will say that you should only say "reception to follow" as the time of day will indicate the type of reception.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]<div>We are having 2 signature drinks and wine and beer. I'm pretty sure I didn't say we were not having alcohol. But I could be mistaken.

</div>
  • You've got great advice here. My friend just went to a reception like this last weekend and had a great time, but it wasn't noted on the invitation that it was just appetizers. The reception was 6-10pm and my friend said she wished she knew ahead of time so she knew what to expect. I'd love to taste that strawberry lemonade cake! :-)
  • I grew up attending the cake-nuts-and-mints style receptions that are a Southern classic (and also pretty typical in some conservative reigious circles).  I never knew of anything more elaborate until we got cable and I started watching wedding shows, LOL. 

Sounds like you're right on in your planning (Sunday afternoon -- 2 pm should be fine for the church folks -- and a great cake).  Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards