Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

guest list question

good morning, everyone!i have a question for you. last night, the future hubbo and i tried to get out guest list settled so we can start working on std's. somehow, we managed to add a few more people that we had originally thought, and our list now exceeds our venue's max capacity by about 12 people. now, we are expecting a few people to decline the invitation, but that's not a definite. what do we do? do we send all of the std's (and invitations eventually) and hope that some people decline? or do we cut it down now? what did you do?!thanks!

Re: guest list question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First, I might talk to the venue about exactly what to do.  You are likely neither the first nor last that has run into this problem; maybe there's nothing they can do to help, but you never know. Can you create a short "b" list of 12ish people?  As you hear that people decline, you can invite those on your b-list so that the capacity of your venue isn't exceeded.  Sometimes doing this can be a little shady, but it's an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you are only talking about STDs here, I would look at your list again and only send these out to the OOTers and the people you know for sure you have to have at the wedding.  I know this sounds bad, but when we did ours, we looked back over the list and there were some co-workers and friends that we would like them to be there, but not devastated if they weren't.  Those were the ones we held off sending STDs too.  That would buy you more time.. and you would be surprised how much things change by the wedding... deaths, break ups, divorces.... they'll change your list for you. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i did try and contact the event organizer at the venue last night, but she has already left. hopefully i'll hear from her today.i thought about the "a" and "b" lists, but like you said, i felt totally shady even just considering it. i also feel like it's going to cause me a whole lot more stress than i want. i want to just have it all settled now!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it makes you feel any better, the stated capacity for the room we're in is 160.  We invited 173 and before doing so asked our coordinator what would happen if we had more guests than 160, she basically said "we'd make room for them."We already have 20 no's and will probably end up with about 140 guests attending.  I think 12 is fine to overinvite by, you'll definitely have that many decline and if for someone reason everyone loves you and can attend, they'll make it work.  But yes, definitely confirm with your venue first.
  • Options
    tracyd21tracyd21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's best to assume everyone will say yes.  If this list is just for STDs, I would only send to those you know for sure will be invited, especially those who need to travel a distance.  For invites, you can give yourself extra time and send them out early enough so that if you add a few B-listers it won't be so obvious.  We did this with about 3 couples and it worked well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks guys! i just heard back from the site coordinator, and she said most people invite at least ten guests over the max. i think we might end up doing that and just expect some no's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards