Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What are you doing first???

After ceremony, you go to the reception. Are you doing your first dance before or after dinner?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are you doing first???

• Options
    edited May 2011
    We are doing ours after dinner. I don't want to make our guests have to wait for dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ours will most likely be done as our intro to the reception - if that makes sense (When the DJ/MC introduces us for the first time, we'll go straight into the first day)... and then food! 
  • Options
    We will be doing our first dance after dinner. In my area and in my circle of family/friends the first dance is the signal that the dance floor is about to open.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    We will be having 6 different little finger foods for cocktail hour.. so we are doing the dances before dinner. Our DJ said it flows better that way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In my crowd, the couple typically enters and goes into a first dance. For my Jewish friends (and me), there's usually a hora right after that where all the guests dance, then toasts, first course, dancing, main course, dancing, and cake cutting and desert about an hour or more later followed by more dancing. I had no concerns that anyone would be "hungry" for dinner after a lavish cocktail hour. 
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment

The only dancing at our wedding will be our first dance so we're going to do it before dinner.  People just came from a great cocktail party with lots of food so they'll be able to wait a few more minutes to eat :)

84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    We had dinner, cut the cake then had our first dance.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    We are having dinner cutting the cakes toasts and then first dance. We do not want to make quests wait for dinner-cocktail hour from 5-6 our reception at 6
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_doing-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b2ca54b8-f8b0-449e-b9d3-f9655eb874fdPost:cdca545d-7e52-4b99-9c35-9b0e829f147f">Re: What are you doing first???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours will most likely be done as our intro to the reception - if that makes sense (When the DJ/MC introduces us for the first time, we'll go straight into the first day)... and then food! 
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

That's what we are doing.  The guests will have just had the hors d'ouvres so they won't be starving and one dance is pretty quick.  Then after dinner it's all party!
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_doing-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b2ca54b8-f8b0-449e-b9d3-f9655eb874fdPost:72f0ccb8-4daa-478d-a0fe-2e04a8797157">Re: What are you doing first???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing ours after dinner. I don't want to make our guests have to wait for dinner.
    Posted by mary9449[/QUOTE]

this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_doing-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b2ca54b8-f8b0-449e-b9d3-f9655eb874fdPost:77d6dc4d-9ec8-4515-9254-f32b8c5c7130">Re: What are you doing first???</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only dancing at our wedding will be our first dance so we're going to do it before dinner.  People just came from a great cocktail party with lots of food so they'll be able to wait a few more minutes to eat :)
    Posted by vexie[/QUOTE]

This is what we did.  Our first dance was the only spotlight dance and we wanted to get it over with so we wouldn't be nervous all through dinner.  We were announced and went straight into it and it worked perfect.
  • Options
    bidge24bidge24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary

the first thing we did was walk in and cut the cake, since we already had everyones attention....then we ate dinner and the dancing began

Anniversary
  • Options
    We are having a coctail reception so people will be snacking anyway before we arrive. So we will make our entrance then move into our first dance. Its more of having us get it done and over with (and while we are sober and still have some coordination lol)
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Options
    Not sure 100% yet but the timeline given to us for advice from the wedding coordinator was to cut the cake before dinner so it could be served right after..BUT we are having mini cupcakes and cheesecake bites in a variety of flavors, only cutting is our custom cheesecake. So we figured get introduced, first dance, open up dinner...cocktail hour is at 4:30-dinner at 5:30 to allow proper time for other things going on
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    we're doing ours before dinner. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing ours before dinner.  The DJ is announcing us, we walk into the middle of the dance floor, we dance, then plop down at the table to eat.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    we did ours immediately after entering the reception which was right after the cocktail hour.

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Ours was after OUR dinner, while the other guests were still finishing up.  We didn't want to make our guests wait for food. 

Our dances opened the dance floor for everyone.
  • Options
    I haven't really thought about this yet, but I've seen it done both ways.  FI and I are going to take dance lessons and actually learn a real dance for our first dance, so with all that work, I think we'll be likely to have everyone's full attention right after our entrance. 

I'm thinking:  entrance, first dance, dinner, mother/son dance, then open dancing.  I dunno, we are still a few months out so I'll probably nail down the details after we meet with our DJ.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards