Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

memorial poem

my FI's father passed away in February so we're looking for a memorial poem to put in a double frame with a photo of him.  does anyone have one they can share or point me in some sort of direction?  i tried googling but couldn't find anything really appropriate.

Re: memorial poem

• Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He died in my hands,but lives in my mindI wish time wouldn't go forward,then I would make it rewindI try to have memories,but my minds mostly blankAs for the man I've become today,I have only one person to thankI don't have the time to waste upon mourning,He wanted me to live, love, and never to be boringOne day I'll see him again,And I know he'll say aloudI love you my son, you've made your Father proud.REMEMBER ME Don't forget meI don't want to beThe dust that you hold in your handKeep me close when I'm gonePlease don't let my memories fade awayInto the sandI want you to think of meI reached for you onceThe stars held my handI think of you oftenDo you still remember me?I laughedI criedI knew it must endSomeday I must dieRemember me thenPlace your rusting flowers On my graveAlways remember the days that are retreatingSave my soulHelp me stop the bleedingI'm vanishingI reach for your handAs the darkness comesIt swallows me wholeI am all aloneAs I become the silenceI feel your tearsFall on my porcelain cheeksI think to myselfHow beautiful life isAnd how darkness is such a reliefDon't let the clouds darken your eyesI know you loved me one timeI'll be back again somedayWhen the wind whispers in your earYou'll know I'm thereThat I'm nearI'll say your nameYou'll know it's meWe were ripped apartBut that's just destinyLet me see you smile one last timeIn you I surviveWhen you think of meI am alive!Remember meThink of me nowAnd I shall remain yours forever
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Please do not include the phrase "help me stop the bleeding" anywhere in your wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes, I only read the top part. There really aren't that many poems dedicated to this. Maybe cut out some of the Paragraphs you may like, or even create your own poem... I agree with Delicate, parts of that poem, I wouldn't use.....
  • Options
    jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    not going to lie, delicate, i laughed out loud when i read your reply.  i think i found one.  does this seem appropriate?Although we cannot see you,We know that you are here.Smiling down, watching over usAs we say "I do".Forever in our hearts, Forever in our lives.And so we say our vows,In loving memory of you.
  • Options
    rumdrinxrumdrinx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    can he write a few lines himself?  seems to me that this will be more poignant than googled poems of remembrance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He Only Takes The Best God saw they were their happiest and someone would not let that be. So He put his arms around them and whispered "Come with Me". With tear filled eyes we watched them, suffer and fade away. Although we loved them deeply, We could not make them stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands put to rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you're probably right rum, but its a very touchy subject.  i will talk to him and see what he says though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jess - I really like that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The first one is better, but you could use parts of the second - definately need some edits
  • Options
    rumdrinxrumdrinx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if it is touchy, then ever better to write something like "In loving memory of Mr. ____,   All of us gathered here today are missing your  (smile? song?  dancing and smile?).those rhymes schemes give me hives btw
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jess the one you posted is good.  I had this one saved for my program (including a "in loving memory" page for my grandma) but ended up just writing a few sentences about how much we loved her, etc.  If we did the picture frame route we would have used this poem, it's a little overly rhyme-y but is the message I was looking for.Those we love remain with us,for love itself lives on.Cherished memories never fade,because one loved is gone.Those we love can never be,more than a thought apart,for as long as there is a memory,they live on in our heart.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ha, they do give off a very preschool vibe.  i am just so unsure how to handle this because if it were up to his mom, there'd be photos all over the place and it would be like a 2nd memorial service.
  • Options
    rumdrinxrumdrinx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would the FMIL want to write a few lines?
  • Options
    luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    song lyrics maybe?  I thought about using "I Miss You" by the hours or "from where you are" by lifehouse in memory of my grandmother...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got this from someone on the SJ board and we did it at our wedding: We made up cards that said "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings."- It's a Wonderful Life. Please ring the bells when we leave church to honor those celebrating in spirit. And we tied bells on and people rang them when we left church. Just another idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know you said a pic frame, but you could light a candle next to this one... Light a Candle Light a candle for those we mourn. Into a new life they will be born. Do not look for them at the gravesite. They are somewhere else radiating their beautiful light. They have gone to a new world where there is no darkness, no pain. Their light and essence will always remain. Light a candle for those who have left this mortal place. They are free to travel through time and space. When we think of them, they are near. When we sit in a beautiful garden. Their voices we hear. When we listen to a divine symphony, We close our eyes, their faces we see. Light a candle for they have not really gone. With each flickering flame, in your hearts they will always belong. © A.Pell 24/08/2005  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I read this at my grandmother's funeral--it's sweet and I don't think it's too depressing: Christina Rossetti Remember REMEMBER me when I am gone away, Gone far away into the silent land; When you can no more hold me by the hand, Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay. Remember me when no more day by day You tell me of our future that you plann'd: Only remember me; you understand It will be late to counsel then or pray. Yet if you should forget me for a while And afterwards remember, do not grieve: For if the darkness and corruption leave A vestige of the thoughts that once I had, Better by far you should forget and smile Than that you should remember and be sad.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for asking this, 0602.  We have been looking for a poem to place beside pics of my grandfather and his grandmother, and like you, had not really found anything appropriate.I really like the one you posted, btw.  I also like the one Penne's candle one, and JSantilli's idea is really cool as well.  Now we just have to decide what works the best for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all of the suggestions gang. after reading all of this stuff, we may just go with "In Loving Memory of FFIL of 0602"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards