Wedding Reception Forum

Bellydancing Bride at reception?

I'm having a small wedding (70 people) in July, in a beautiful garden! I want to surprise my groom (and guests) with an impromptu belly dance. I have been so passionate about belly dancing and everyone knows it! 

So here's my question; do you think I should buy a white belly dancing costume, or try to dance it in my wedding dress? 

I do not have a dress picked out yet, but if i decide to dance in it, it MUST be a certain type of dress. !:)

Re: Bellydancing Bride at reception?

• I dislike it when Brides and Grooms "perform" at their wedding -- singing, choreographed dance, or whatever.  It's not a concert, recital, or performance -- it's your wedding.   Even though your guests know you are passionate about belly-dancing, do you think they want to take a break from their evening to watch you perform?  

Unless the Bride belly-dancing for her husband is part of some cultural tradtition that you subscribe to, I would skip it.  Though, nothing says you can't do a private belly-dance for your new husband after the reception:-)
    DSC_9275
  • I'm with Avion on this.  Heck, I'm always dittoing her.
  • I also agree with Avion 100%.
  • Agree with PPs.  It sounds like you're very passionate about bellydance, which is great, and maybe a situation where you might consider hiring bellydancers as entertainers for the reception.  But there's just something so awkward about the bride and/or groom performing at their wedding.

The one way that I could possibly see this working is if you could incorporate it into your first dance (or father-daughter dance, though I think that would probably be weird) somehow.  The only times I've seen any sort of performance by the bride and/or groom come out cool instead of awkward was in the context of a choreographed spotlight dance of some sort.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bellydancing-bride-at-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b8622ab9-e8ca-4ed5-bd28-a0b81af09882Post:449f3dbf-c7c5-4248-af2a-de32cbabccd7">Bellydancing Bride at reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a small wedding (70 people) in July, in a beautiful garden! I want to surprise my groom (and guests) with an impromptu belly dance. I have been so passionate about belly dancing and everyone knows it!  So here's my question; do you think I should buy a white belly dancing costume, or try to dance it in my wedding dress?  I do not have a dress picked out yet, but if i decide to dance in it, it MUST be a certain type of dress. !:)
    Posted by Texanyorker11[/QUOTE]

Something being planned ten months in advance isn't impromtu. It would be a surprise for your groom and uncomfortable as hell for the rest of the guests, but not impromptu.
  • Save it for the wedding night.  Guests do not want to sit there and watch this unless it is part of your culture.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • DItto PP. Skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Aw man :( I always thought it was a treat for others to see a new art form.. we come from very artistic families! I posted that really late last night, so I meant surprise not impromptu :P anyways! I guess the cons outweigh the pros.... I just youtubed 'belly dancing bride' and a very mediocre dancer was dancing for a while, and the guests were really quiet. Hm... something to think about!
  • In Response to Re:Bellydancing Bride at reception?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bellydancing Bride at reception?:Aw man : I always thought it was a treat for others to see a new art form.. we come from very artistic families! I posted that really late last night, so I meant surprise not impromptu :P anyways! I guess the cons outweigh the pros.... I just youtubed 'belly dancing bride' and a very mediocre dancer was dancing for a while, and the guests were really quiet. Hm... something to think about!Posted by Texanyorker11Gotta be honest, I know NO professionals who are willing to perform at their own weddings. nbsp;That includes singers and dancers. nbsp;Well, I take that back. nbsp;I do know ONE and she is the talk of the company and not in a good way. nbsp;Honestly, performing in any way puts the spotlight on YOU instead of you as a couple and looks very AWish. nbsp;Combine that with the fact that belly dancing is INCREDIBLY sensual and likely to make guests uncomfortable and you have a disasterous combination. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This. My cousin's exhusband played guitar and sang a song, one of HIS songs, at their wedding. I'm surprised the church allowed this. He was actually focused on his audience rather than singing it to her. It was pretty awful.
  • Ick... No i definitely do not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable... Thanks for giving honest opinions! I needed to hear that :)
  • It sounds like you have already decided to skip this, but just wanted to add another vote for not doing this.    I'm glad you listened to reason here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards