Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Afternoon Wedding Timeline - Lawn Games instead of dancing

We're having an outdoor afternoon wedding and I wanted to get some ideas about the timeline so far this is what we have 

2:00 – ceremony

2:30 – Prosecco toast and group photo

3:00 – (photos with B&G and family) reception including wine tasting, lawn games, drinks, and canapés

6:00 – Dinner and toasts

7:00 - dessert

7:30 - guests are invited to join the bride and groom for drinks, or coffee and tea, in the greenhouse  

9:00 – Farewells 

Re: Afternoon Wedding Timeline - Lawn Games instead of dancing

• Options
    Three hours seems like a long time to be playing lawn games...
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    That seems like a really long reception. Id think you might lose a lot off people before dinner.
  • Options
    WAY too long for a reception. You will lose a lot of people right after dinner.  I can't imagine spending 3 hours playing lawn games in heels and a nice outfit.  You need to shorten this up by a few hours.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    Sorry but I don't think lawn games belong at a wedding. I would be bored out of my mind.  6pm is way to long to wait to eat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm on board with everyone else. I hate it when brides and grooms try to occupy guests by coming up with silly things to do, like play games or do puzzles or something. Adults can entertain themselves by having some food and drink and talking with other guests.

Having said that, I think a 3 hour gap before dinner is entirely too long of a gap. As a guest, I would just bail, especially if you were having lawn games. I really don't think that fits in at a wedding. People will be dressed up nicely and you want them out in the yard playing games? I would lessen the gap and cut the games.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I have no problem with the lawn games- I think it could be really cute if done correctly. I do think 3 hours is too long, though. I take it that you'll be doing photos during that time, but could you cut that down to one hour and serve the actual meal at 4? 3 hours seems like too much, in my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Skip the games and eat dinner earlier.
  • Options
    i dont get the 'prosecco toast' at 230 and then the other toasts at 6. so yu're telling us that for 3 hours and 30 minutes your guests will be eating HD's and playing lawn games?
    and why do you need 3.5 hours for photos? that's WAY too long.

• Options
    What are you going to be doing for 3.5 hours? Photos can't possibly take that long. Either move dinner way up to an early dinner, or start your ceremony later.  
  • Options
    I will say, I've been to receptions with lawn games and it was way fun, in a laidback, play if you want to kind of way.  However, if I was doing that to kill time before dinner I'd be irritated.  Move your meal up and do your lawn games afterward.
  • Options
    Even if you are not that big into dancing I think you should at least add some background music. And I agree with the above posters...you should try to make the dinner earlier!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would move dinner up. While I do enjoy lawn games, (love me a good game of bocce) but there's only so long I can play it, especially in heels and a nice dress. I would also have some type of dancing, just because you don't enjoy dancing doesn't mean other people won't.
  • Options
    I agree that the gap is too long. You can save time and money by having a four pm dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Personally I think lawn games are fun and, depending on your crowd, can go over well at a wedding. But I agree, that is way too long to wait for dinner.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • Options
    I'd be outta there as soon as I saw the silly lawn games come out. 

Meal first. Then you can break out the games and the dancing, and those who don't want to do either will split, and those who want to stay will stay. 

3 1/2 hours is almost as long as most standard receptions are from start to finish.  Making me wait that long just to have dinner is just...mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards