Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Is a Rehearsal Dinner Necessary?

My FI and I are on a tight budget for the wedding and my FMIL keeps asking me where we’re going to host the rehearsal dinner. I hadn’t even thought about that! Is this completely necessary and if so, who gets invited and do we have to pay for everyone’s meals? Is it supposed to be at a restaurant or at home?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is a Rehearsal Dinner Necessary?

• Options
    IMO a rehearsal dinner is not mandatory. It's a nice thing to do and it can be as casual or fancy as you want, but to me, it's not a big deal if you don't have one.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It can be anywhere you want and as formal or informal as you want, but you need to pay for everyone (or it needs to be otherwise hosted).  Pizza and beer at your house is fine.  I think you need to have one if you have a rehearsal, and you invite the people who were at the rehearsal, plus parents of any kids in the wedding party.  Some people also invite out of town guests, but that's not necessary. 
  • Options
    If you have a rehearsal, you have to provide everyone who attends with a meal.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree that if you have a rehearsal, then you must feed whoever is involved with the rehearsal (plus their spouses or SOs) as a thank you to them for being there.

It can be totally casually and you can have a BBQ, do pizza, whatever you can afford.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! My next question: is a rehearsal necessary??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_rehearsal-dinner-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:bc01c887-ade8-4249-b215-186a9466ddb8Post:31443db7-b3df-4786-9f0c-78bfcd4546d6">Re: Is a Rehearsal Dinner Necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the advice! My next question: is a rehearsal necessary??
    Posted by ajroark[/QUOTE]

<div>Not at all, unless you're doing something particularly unusual and/or complicated. Most people know how to walk/stand in a wedding ceremony.</div>
  • Options
    no, a rehearsal is not necessary. I would say it is only beneficial if many of your wedding party have never been in a wedding, otherwise it is pretty straight forward. No rehearsal = no dinner! 
  • Options
    I think it is good to walk through the ceremony the day before.  That way you know when to give your flowers to your MOH.  The readers can practice before a small audience and get comfortable talking into the microphone or make sure they are loud enough to be heard by all.  If you are doing any repeat after officiant stuff you get practice seeing how they are going to break up the phrases so that it can go smoothly.  Not mandatory, but think it is a good thing to do.  We are doing it and then just having BBQ so low key.
    September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards