Wedding Reception Forum
Options

TOO Many Spotlight Dances!?!?

A penny for everyone who can follow along!
So, I am getting married in August. My sister got married 2 years ago, and there was a spotlight dance planned for the Groom/Mother of the Bride. It got missed, and my Mom was super upset. That can't happen at my wedding. That in itself is not a problem.

What IS a problem is that I am afraid we will bore everyone with spotlight dances. At the moment, here are all the dances I am supposed to have:
  • Bride/Groom First dance
  • Father of Bride/Bride
  • Mother of Groom/Groom
  • Father of Groom/Bride
  • Mother of Bride/Groom
  • Then, I am supposed to have a dance honoring my step-Dad who passed away last year. My Brother is going to 'stand in' for my step-father.
I would skip that dance, but I was closer to my step-dad than I was to my father...I am closer to my father now, but I know that my Mom still wants me to honor my step-Dad. I want to as well, but that is 6 dances!!! Does anyone have any ideas to make it less painful for the guests?

Thanks!Yell
~~Victoria~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: TOO Many Spotlight Dances!?!?

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I have never seen a Father of the Groom/Bride or Mother of Bride/Groom dance.  Are they commonplace where you live?
  • Options
    Way too many spotlight dances.

I vote get rid of FOG/Bride and MOB/Groom

Can you honor your step-dad another way?  Like dedicate a song to him, still dance with your brother, but have everyone else on the floor with both of you?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    • "Father of Groom/Bride
    • Mother of Bride/Groom
    • Then, I am supposed to have a dance honoring my step-Dad who passed away last year. My Brother is going to 'stand in' for my step-father."

I would eliminate these.

honor your step-dad a different way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Instead of doing so many "spotlight dances", maybe instead do some song dedications where you dance with a particular person but don't preclude other guests from dancing?  I've seen this at several weddings.  Do the spotlight dances, then some regular dances, then have your DJ announce that this particular song is in honor of so-and-so. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to Re:TOO Many Spotlight Dances!?!?:[QUOTE]I have never seen a Father of the Groom/Bride or Mother of Bride/Groom dance.nbsp; Are they commonplace where you live? Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

This. This is something I have nevet even heard of before.
  • Options
    I would try to have some at the same time, like groom/MOB and bride/FOG during the same song.  You can also have your DJ shorten the songs a bit so each dance isn't as long.  

We also did the MOG/groom and FOB/bride dances after some open dancing, and that worked well, rather than having it right after our first dance.  

I agree with the PPs that I don't understand having your brother stand in for your stepdad.  As a guest, I would think it was really weird.  There are many other lovely ways to honor a deceased loved one--if you search here or post about it, you will get some nice ideas, like a photo in your bouquet or a section in your program.  
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    You can make it like a snowball dance with all the couples dancing to one song, and each new partner cutting in after a few moments

Bride and groom dance.  FOB cuts in to dance with bride, groom brings his mother to the dance floor.  Two couples dance a moment, then FOG cuts in to dance with bride.  FOB returns to his seat.  Groom returns his mother to her seat, brings MOB to dance floor.  Those couples dance a moment.  While I personally find the dance with your brother in your step-father's place a little odd, if you want to do it, he could cut in on FOG toward the end of the song.  FOG would then return to his seat, and groom would still be dancing with MOB.

That way everybody gets their dance, but it's only one song.  If you want to dance with your new husband alone for an entire song, then do so, and transition right into the parents dance song and take up with the snowball right away.  If you do this, use shorter songs for both dances.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs.  Definitely too many.  Think about your guests - 6 spotlight dances is, depending on the songs you pick, probably 18 to 24 minutes, in addition to the time for the DJ to announce them and set them up.  I've been to this type of reception.  It is no fun as a guest - especially when you always take breaks for garter or bouquet tosses and cake cutting.

PPs have some good suggestions about combining partners for the parent dances.  I'd do one of those and I would still try to break them up.  For example, you and your FI have your dance as soon as you are announced.  You and your dad with FI and his mom are the first dance after dinner and you and FFIL with FI with your mom might be the first song after you cut the cake.

I also agree with the suggestion that perhaps you honor your step-dad in a different way than an additional dance.  A song dedication during your reception, a memory section in your program, a candle, a locket in your bouquet - something that is not an additional dance.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards