Wedding Reception Forum

Two reception venues?

So the place where we are having our ceremony in the gardens outside has a cute patio with tables/chairs available and no restrictions on who caters or provides beverages (so we could buy our own drinks to serve). This place however doesn't allow a band or DJ and so we cannot hold the dance part of our reception there. One reception place where we could have the dance is gorgeous but has high fees for food and drinks. Has anyone ever had a ceremony, cocktail hour and dinner at one place followed by dessert, more cocktails and dancing at another? We would rent transportation to shuttle people in between the two... 

Re: Two reception venues?

• That seems like a PITA to me.  Could you just use an iPod instead of a DJ or band at the first place?   Honestly, I would suggest just finding a different venue.
  • Does the patio have a restriction against "aplified sound"?  If so, then an iPod might not be an option.   I really like the sound of the patio (sounds cool and very pretty), but what if it rains?  Or is cold?  You'd want a back-up plan anyway.

I think the majority of your money on alcohol will be spent during the "dance" part, so going to a second venue for that might not save you much money....are there any other options for venues?
    DSC_9275
  • truthisprettytruthispretty member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Apparently "background music" is allowed... 
    The place would have room inside for all the guests if it did rain or was cold. 

There's another reception place that's a bit cheaper that we also like but other than that we would be limited to generic dance halls or hotel ballrooms... 
  • Unless you're really into dancing, I would just do the patio and use an iPod with small speakers for "background music."   You could still do your first dance and everything, then just keep it to background music levels.  
    DSC_9275
  • Apparently "background music" is allowed... 
    The place would have room inside for all the guests if it did rain or was cold. 

There's another reception place that's a bit cheaper that we also like but other than that we would be limited to generic dance halls or hotel ballrooms... 
  • what a pita. choose one place and have the whole thing there.

• I think you would end up losing a large number of guests in between. People will have ate and mingled and many may not bother to go to another location to dance and will instead head home. I would try to keep all reception activities at one location.
  • Ditto Melissa -- only the hard core partiers are going to move to a second venue for dancing. 
  • I went to a wedding where the ceremony was outside, the cocktail hour was inside (you had to walk a ways to get there), the dinner was back outside, and then the dancing was inside.  It was a PITA, and that was all at one venue, nevermind what you're talking about.  

If you want to have dancing, I think it works better to have it all in the same space, so that people can dance between courses and sit at their seat and watch others dance.
  • Could you do a coctail hour at the patio then have the reception at the another location? Or just host an after party somewhere else for those guests who want to dance? I guess it really depends on how important dancing is to you on what you should do.

• Yep we are thinking of doing cocktails and hors-d'oeuvres on the patio then going elsewhere for the reception...
    Thanks for all your thoughts everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards