Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Destination wedding/reception?

I was thinking about having a destination wedding with maybe a few family members moms dads and my sister. But I was wondering how does a destination wedding work with a reception? Would I get married have a honeymoon and then come back and have a reception? I'm new to this. Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty much just worried about money. I can't really afford a wedding but I'd like to have a party/reception.

Re: Destination wedding/reception?

• Options
    Your reception would follow the ceremony on the same day, and include the people who were at the ceremony.  If it's a small group of people, then you could go to a restaurant and treat everyone to a meal.

Some people who have destination weddings have an "At-Home Reception" when they get back home.   This isn't a wedding reception (that is on your wedding day), but is more of an informal get-together to celebrate your marriage with those who weren't able to make it to your ceremony.  Generally speaking, I think these people should all be invited to the DW itself.  The At-Home-Reception is not a gift-giving event (though some people may want to give gifts), you wouldn't wear a wedding dress, have a wedding cake, do a first dance, toss a garter/bouquet, etc.  It would just be a party to celebrate your marriage.  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_destination-weddingreception-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:cabd3d36-ffa2-4d28-9ce0-228ad641ffd2Post:8a3286f5-45ce-430c-b3ab-22513cc00450">Destination wedding/reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about having a destination wedding with maybe a few family members moms dads and my sister. But I was wondering how does a destination wedding work with a reception? Would I get married have a honeymoon and then come back and have a reception? I'm new to this. Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty much just worried about money. I can't really afford a wedding but I'd like to have a party/reception.
    Posted by rachelmaria23[/QUOTE]

We did this!

We married in Bermuda with our parents and siblings (12 people total).  Following the ceremony, we had a sit down dinner as our reception.  It was really fun.

We were in Bermuda for ~ 4 days with our families, then they left and the rest of our time there (~6 days) was our honeymoon. 

There's no reason to do another reception at home.  Receptions are expensive and if you are concerned about money, then it's best to skip one.  The feeding and watering of your ceremony guests IS the reception.  No worries.
  • Options
    I'm doing a DW and we're doing the wedding at our location, having a very nice dinner after (we don't want to drag everyone out to the middle of nowhere to serve chicken) and then an open bar and just partying all night. Probably won't even do a DJ.
    Then at home a few weeks after we're planning one of two things - 
    Renting out part of (if not all) of a restaurant, having a buffet dinner with everyone who didn't come to DW - and inviting those who did - and then having an open bar and just hanging out all night again. No cake, no first dance, no flowers (maybe small centerpieces - MAYBE). We'll have an area with wedding pictures if people want to look at them, but not shoving it down their throats with a slideshow or something.
    OR - we'll have a pig roast in my dad's backyard. Same idea. 
    We're letting everyone know we're not expecting gifts at either party. 

Our "at home reception" will feel more like an anniversary or birthday party than a wedding reception. I think doing an actual "reception" at home feels gift-grabby and leaves people with a bad taste in their mouth. 

I also agree with CMGr - beautiful weddings do not have to be expensive. DWs can be pretty expensive because even though there's less people, you have to..this is going to come out badly but I can't think of a better way to say it...treat them better. You can have an at home wedding in the afternoon with cake and punch and be done but you've got to make sure people are very well taken care of when they have used vacation days and traveled for your wedding. Welcome dinners and/or after-wedding brunches are also nice for DW guests and can really add up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards