Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reserved Seating!

Who all do you reserve tables for at the reception? Also all of the grandparents can sit together right? We each have several sets of grandparents and I don't want to have to make 7 tables just for grandparents.

Re: Reserved Seating!

• Options
    You should reserve tables for all of your guests (assigned tables, not seats).  At DDs wedding my parents sat with DH and I, MIL sat with DHs siblings.  It all depends on your family dynamics.
  • Options
    At my DDs weddings, we have assigned seating and we seat the gparents with whomever they would like to sit.  Usually some of their children.  If they all get along great and would love to visit over dinner this is great.  If they barely know each other and are thrown together just because they are grandparents, that isn't much of a great idea.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    I've only attended wedding with assigned tables.  

I don't completely get open seating with a few assigned seating.  I know they work, because a lot of knotties say they do.  I just don't understand how.   

For example I had a 94 year old great-aunt.  Now she was not part of the WP or close family, but I was not going to have her end up at a seat far from everything, next to the speakers. Not sure she would have understood she could sit at a 'better' seat. 

IDK, as I said, people say it works out fine, I just have a hard time seeing how.  Then again, my family always has assigned seating, so we would not think about running into the room to save the good seats.  So there's that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We did reserved seating for all guests, like PPs.  Why would all the grandparents want to sit together?  Because they're old?  Each of my sets of grandparents had their own table that included relatives they don't get to see very often.  DH's grandpa sat with some of his children.  If your grandparents know each other, they might want to sit together, but I would think about what will make them happiest and do that (talk to your parents if you need advice).
  • Options
    I also come from an area where open seating is the norm and had open seating at my wedding.  But, I'm not simple minded enough that I would get indignant when someone does it different than I would.  The notion that assigning seats means you aren't an adult is ridiculous.  Seats are routinely assigned at formal events, from presidential inagurations to high dollar charity galas.

If you need to reserve more than a WP table and a parents' table, you need to rethink assigned seating.  Reserving several tables creates a tiered situation, where guests feel ranked.  Parents are one thing, but if you're seating extended family, go ahead and seat everyone.  
  • Options
    Who  do you reserve tables for at the reception? EVERYONE

Also all of the grandparents can sit together right? UP TO YOU. YOU CAN SEAT THEM TOGETHER OR WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THAT PART OF THE FAMILY.

We each have several sets of grandparents and I don't want to have to make 7 tables just for grandparents. PLAN IT ALL OUT.

Posted by abcortines[/QUOTE]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards