Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Extra entertainment at a dry wedding?

So we will be having a dry wedding and we are also not doing a bouquet/garter toss.  We're inviting 200 and have handpicked the music to be played by our DJ so I know that part will be fine, but I have heard that dry weddings end up not having as much energy or dancing.. I'll be dancing regardless, but as a guest do you think we should add any other sort of entertainment so people don't get bored? If so, any suggestions? I don't want people to leave super early, but I also don't want to make it corny by trying too hard. What do you think?
Thanks!

Re: Extra entertainment at a dry wedding?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_extra-entertainment-at-a-dry-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ccf60c40-65a7-4d39-86b7-f31847189057Post:73a19440-6234-4b30-abd7-162b21c2d8cd">Extra entertainment at a dry wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we will be having a dry wedding and we are also not doing a bouquet/garter toss.  We're inviting 200 and have handpicked the music to be played by our DJ so I know that part will be fine, but I have heard that dry weddings end up not having as much energy or dancing.. I'll be dancing regardless, but as a guest do you think we should add any other sort of entertainment so people don't get bored? If so, any suggestions? I don't want people to leave super early, but I also don't want to make it corny by trying too hard. What do you think? Thanks!
    Posted by eelyak321[/QUOTE]

It's true that a cocktail or two helps a lot of people get into "party mode" and loosen up a bit. By hosting a dry wedding, you just have to understand that not everyone likes to dance stone sober. You also don't need to have extra things to keep people entertained.

IMHO, as someone who likes to have a drink or two but also doesn't dance (sober or not), I'd probably leave your reception early. You having something else to "entertain" me wouldn't sway my opinion either way.

Guests will leave when they want to.
  • Options
    Agree with PP.  I am a pretty terrible dancer but throw one or two drinks in me, I can pull off a move or two.  WIth that said, I would probably try to get out on the floor since it is a celebration.   But most likely, I would probably leave earlier than if it were not a dry wedding. 

What kind of extra entertainment do you mean?  Bringing in a performer or perhaps having a game?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't add extra entertainment to make up for lack of liquor.  Just recognize that having a dry wedding means your reception may end earlier, it will likely be a little less "party-ish" and it is it's possible that less people will dance.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_extra-entertainment-at-a-dry-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ccf60c40-65a7-4d39-86b7-f31847189057Post:73a19440-6234-4b30-abd7-162b21c2d8cd">Extra entertainment at a dry wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we will be having a dry wedding and we are also not doing a bouquet/garter toss.  We're inviting 200 and have handpicked the music to be played by our DJ so I know that part will be fine, but I have heard that dry weddings end up not having as much energy or dancing.. I'll be dancing regardless, but as a guest do you think we should add any other sort of entertainment so people don't get bored? If so, any suggestions? I don't want people to leave super early, but I also don't want to make it corny by trying too hard. What do you think? Thanks!
    Posted by eelyak321[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't add any entertainment. If you hired a reputable professional DJ, he'll probably be able to get people hyped. A lot of people that danced at my wedding didn't even have anything to drink. It depends on your crowd but we would've been ok with a dry wedding.
  • Options
    We didn't add anything extra to our dry wedding.  Most people danced anyway.  When the room is dim and fun lights are flashing everywhere it makes people want to move!  But you know, maybe a limbo game could encourage those who might otherwise stay in the side lines participate in something.
  • Options
    Photobooth!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards