Wedding Reception Forum
Options

First and Father-Daughter dance alternatives

I love to dance, but not in public and definitely not in the spot light! My fiance is the same way. And my dad doesn't dance at all - he hates it (although he has said he WOULD do it for me if I wanted him to).

So I am looking for alternative ideas for these dances! I would take them out altogether, except my fiance wants to do a mother-groom dance and it would be strange if it was the only special dance.

All I've found on forums are ideas that equally require talent, like performing songs together or reading poetry together. I like the "first game" guitar hero idea in theory, but none of us play guitar hero any more. I also like the Dance Dance Revolution first dance idea, but my venue is outdoors so I don't know how I'd set that up.

My father, fiance, and I are all geeks: we love sci-fi, playing RPGs and board games. 

Re: First and Father-Daughter dance alternatives

• Options
    Just don't do them.  Believe me, your guests will be grateful.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    You can skip them altogether. FI can still dance with his mother. Just have them dance together to a slow song while the other guests are on the dance floor too. They can pick a song and tell the DJ to play it and when without making it a spotlight dance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    You could do both dances at the same time. Just choose a song that works for both relationships. That way the attention is on four people instead of two. But as PPs said, it's totally fine to skip it too. I'm still debating it. My dad and I aren't super close and I don't recall EVER dancing with him, even as a kid. He's not really the dancing to a sappy song kind of guy. But I have some time to decide :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  You have a lot of options - they gave you great suggestions. You could also have a snowball (I think?) dance over one (longer) song where you and your FI start dancing together, break to each dance with your parent, and then switch back to dance the final part of the song together while the parents dance with their spouses or another partner they choose. 

I wouldn't try to replace the dances with a gimmick though - that might be more awkward and put more of a spotlight on you.  Your DJ/MC/wedding coordinator might also have some ideas for you.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm with you...HATE dancing in public (although I sucked it up for my wedding).

I really wanted my dad and I to read the book he read to me every night for 3 years (which we can both still recite by heart) because that was a big part of my childhood and a special time of our relationship, but I knew he'd have a more emotional time reading that than dancing toa sappy song, so we danced.  That, and he always wanted to, which is not your situation.

You can DEFINITELY skip the dances...I've seen it done, and they're not missed.  Just lets your guests have more time on the dance floor!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards