Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Need help incorporating a live band in my reception

Hello my fellow busy planners,

I’ve got a quick question for anyone who has had to incorporate a “live” band/performance into their wedding reception.  The band I’ve selected is a bit more alternative, they do a live circus/cabaret style performance that utilizes random instruments, costumes, games, short videos but still sings very soulful local music.  How exactly does one balance out something they want with what a fraction of what my audience might want?  I have about 550 guests and have lots of other activities (fire dancing, character artistists, fortune tellers, photo booths, etc) to try and keep people entertained while fitting my 1950s carnival theme.  But what can I do to blend in a live band with a more commercially pleasing music?

SOS

Re: Need help incorporating a live band in my reception

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-help-incorporating-a-live-band-in-my-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e0450a16-b906-4a9a-b844-9d96ac7e41c3Post:16fe86ad-6572-4c76-af5a-882af4479a37">Need help incorporating a live band in my reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello my fellow busy planners, I’ve got a quick question for anyone who has had to incorporate a “live” band/performance into their wedding reception.  The band I’ve selected is a bit more alternative, they do a live circus/cabaret style performance that utilizes random instruments, costumes, games, short videos but still sings very soulful local music.  How exactly does one balance out something they want with what a fraction of what my audience might want?  I have <strong>about 550 guests</strong> and have lots of other activities (fire dancing, character artistists, fortune tellers, photo booths, etc) to try and keep people entertained while fitting my 1950s carnival theme.  But what can I do to blend in a live band with a more commercially pleasing music? SOS
    Posted by mic6helle[/QUOTE]

First and formost...wow. And you're doing this without a wedding planner or you ARE the wedding planner?

If you have a wedding/venue planner this is his or her job. Express your concerns and let them run with it. That's what you're paying for.

If you don't have a wedding/venue planner...can you get one? This seems like a logistical nightmare.

Most people aren't going to want to sit and watch a show during a reception. They're going to want to socialize, drink, mingle, dance, etc.

Most of us are taught from a young age that talking/getting up during a movie/show/performance is rude. So your guests will no doubt be pretty confused!</div>
  • Options

Yeah, thank you for your response thus far!!  To note, this wedding is in New Orleans, it's not custom to have a sit down dinner.  My venue also has several rooms, so no one will be forced to sit down/observe anything they don't want to.  I was curious if there was a way to merge both styles of music in a not jarring obvious way.  Most of my audience loves this local band, but at the same time I can't take away "brown eyed girl" from grandma.  Just curious if anyone has had the same balancing act in regardless to showcasing music.

Also, traditional New Orleans weddings feature a second line.  Basically everyone enters the streets waving hanckerchiefs and dancing to a live brass band.  The act is a public celebration, with the hopes of strangers joining in your parade.  My goal was to introduce this at the end, in hopes of not continuing to mix too many musical genres.  

I do not have a wedding planner, just lots of energy.

much love and many thanks
  • Options
    I hope you continue to get responses here, but you also might want to try posting on your local board (to the left), since this seems like such a New Orleans thing.  Sounds like fun, and good luck!
  • Options
    Ummmmm... can I come?

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards