Wedding Reception Forum

Reception after a destination wedding.

How long should I wait/ what is an appropriate timeframe to have a reception after a destination wedding?

Re: Reception after a destination wedding.

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    There is no minimum time to wait.  Just try to have it reasonably soon after the wedding.
  • We tried to schedule it for a month after the wedding, but we got horribly overwhelmed and couldn't realistically do it in that timeframe.  (It didn't help that my husband had an ulcer, a friend of ours had very recently died, and there were two other major events scheduled for the same day.  The timing was just atrocious.)  We're rescheduling for later in the summer.

I wouldn't plan it for too close to the wedding itself, otherwise realistically it's probably not going to work out.  I think most people usually put it off until they get their pro pictures and videos back.  As long as it's within six months, it's probably fine.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • i would say as soon as possible like at leas t in the same month that you got married. if i got an invitation to a recption 2 months after the wedding i would think it was weird.
  • I am planning mine for two weeks after my DW.  We are going to have a honeymoon first and then come back and do the reception.  Everything will just need to be prepared before we leave minus last minute details.
  • I am getting married in Maui on October 15th, our reception is about a month later on November 11th.  It is not weird if your reception is in a different month.  I do think you want to do no later than 2 or 3 months though.  You want to still be newly weds and want your wedding to be fresh in everyone's mind still. 
    I'm also a big fan of "whatever works for you!"  Everyone and their situations are so different, so rock whatever you need to make it enjoyable and special for the two of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards