Wedding Reception Forum

Re: khgkjhjhkjh

• Yes, don't do it.  What you are doing is a tiered reception and very rude.  If you can't afford to invite all guests to all parts of the celebration, then you need to stick to your small guest list and call it a day.  What you are basically telling people is that they are not good enough to share your wedding day with you, but they can have a drink. 

Are you paying for the alcohol and the food for the after party?  Take that money and use it toward the one reception.  Then you can invite more people.  It makes no sense to have two parties because of budget.  You will spend the same money.  You don't have to have a fancy plated reception.  Why not do the casual brunch style that you want for the after party?  Then you can invite everyone. 

Figure out what you can afford total and how many people that will cover and then set a final, all-inclusive guest list.

ROCK IS KING!!
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    After party as in ...immediately after the wedding?

Yeah, don't do this.  I'm ALL for immediate family only ceremonies (<15 people, parents/siblings ONLY) followed by larger receptions ( />125 people), but 50 people at your ceremony + reception followed by a 150 person after party is plain rude.  33% of guest list is priveledged while the remaining 66% are blacklisted.

Have your intimate wedding with 50 people.  Go crazy.  If you want to just have a plain old party at another date with lots of people, that's fine, but don't bring your wedding into it.  AT ALL.

OR - cut your ceremony list down to parents/siblings ONLY and have a really large reception/party for everyone.  Although, this choice still comes with its problems.
  • edited January 2012
    True, I definitely don't want it to seem like a reception with the bouquet toss and cake cutting, etc. (I think that is all tacky anyway). NOR did I want it as immediately after the wedding...more like after the honeymoon or a couple of weeks after the wedding. I would NOT expect people to bring gifts etc... The family "reception" wasn't going to more than a dinner party with me in a white dress, really. Thanks for the perspectives however. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I guess we'll have to put in a lot more thought about the guest list to have a small enough wedding/reception and still include more than immediate family. The problem is, we are still really young, and my Fi is still in touch with old friends who are practically inviting themselves already... people who we really aren't close with. They are clueless as to how rude that is! "Am I invited to the wedding?!" It was really helpful to know just what kind of message that would be sending if there was a "secondary" party (that was not the vibe I wanted to give off at all)... We'll have a good time without them. I just hope no one's upest they couldn't make the cut! (just kidding) I guess the more intimate the guest list the better, just to avoid this kind of dillemma. I am glad we have a long time to plan and get advice from others. I've only been to one wedding and it was so huge and impersonal...totally not what I am going for. Anyone have more ideas for smaller weddings?
  • We are having a small intimate wedding ceremony with family on a Friday night at sunset. Then the following Sunday we are having an outdoor wedding reception at a beautiful local park with a southern buffet, 6-tier wedding cake, DJ entertainment and closing the night off with a fireworks display. It is the 2nd wedding for both of us so its more of a casual reception on Sunday....no bouquet throwing, garter tossing, etc., but I am dressing in white and he in a jacket, and we will have our wedding ceremony photos on display for all to enjoy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_party-ideas-extended-friends-family-after-intimate-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e5144036-ad06-41d8-82c2-e91f671f55c8Post:d78a4a6a-e1d9-4615-9c23-12ff230b0586">Re: Party Ideas for extended friends and family after Intimate wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a small intimate wedding ceremony with family on a Friday night at sunset. Then the following Sunday we are having an outdoor wedding reception at a beautiful local park with a southern buffet, 6-tier wedding cake, DJ entertainment and closing the night off with a fireworks display. It is the 2nd wedding for both of us so its more of a casual reception on Sunday....no bouquet throwing, garter tossing, etc., but I am dressing in white and he in a jacket, and we will have our wedding ceremony photos on display for all to enjoy.
    Posted by tonys.angel[/QUOTE]

That sounds really beautiful! I just might do the ceremony on a seperate day, as well. We may not be able to afford a big honeymoon anyway, so it would be nice to have some time to ourselves post cremony, and then have the reception a week later to celebrate the new marriage. I am eyeing a dress from David's bridal which converts from a taffeta floor length gown to a knee length cocktail dress, for such an event. I wouldn't wear my wedding dress more than once, obviously, so this seemed like a great option to me,,,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards