Wedding Reception Forum

Lottery Ticket Bouquet

so a DJ i interviewed recommended (for us non-traditional bride & groom) to get the dancing kicked off, instead of tossing a real bouquet (which ive always hated) both the bride and groom invite all guests up to the dance floor after dinner, and we toss a lottery ticket bouquet (id have to make it). then since everyone is already out on the dance floor, thats when dancing begins. is this a good idea or corny? id rather do nothing than do something silly. we are just going for a non-stuffy, non-formal, non-traditional wedding atmosphere. this way we get everyone out of their seats in our outdoor-tent. 

Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet

• So you have to purchase X amount of lotto tickets, then figure out how to make them into a bouquet.  Then once bouquet is made, you toss it and someone catches it and starts scratching it?

I thought catching the bouquet meant you were the next to get married.  Not the next to try to hopefully maybe win a couple bucks, or another ticket.

I'd go with the regular bouquet thing.  Your florist will likely give you one for free.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • sorry, should have specified. its a lottery ticket scratch-off bouquet. so id prob put $20-$30 worth of scratch offs in the bouquet (theres a tutorial how to make oragami flowers out of them) and whoever catches it gets it, so no not everyone would get one. but they have the chance to get it! my circle loves lottery tickets... but we'll see if i say yay or nay to the idea! if they catch it and dont use them (i.e, scratch them off), then i would think they're crazy! ha
  • Even though it would cost you some money to buy the tickets for the bouquet it just seems cheap and tacky to me -like a beer budget wedding.
  • If your dj needs to resort to this sort of tactic to get people on the dancefloor, then hes doing something wrong.
  • DeadUtopiaDeadUtopia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:7e8fcdca-30d3-4a99-a1d1-ff629c700668">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even though it would cost you some money to buy the tickets for the bouquet it just seems <strong>cheap and tacky to me -like a beer budget wedding.</strong>
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE] Can you explain that to me? I don't get it. I'm not sure whether I should be offended by that or not.

OP, I think it's a cute idea...in theory. It probably wouldn't work well IRL. That would be a LOT of people trying to catch ONE little flying paper thing, people would bump into each other, so on and so forth. If he's a good DJ, I'm sure he can get folks out dancing without needing anything extra.
    ETA: If you don't want to, you don't have to have a "toss" at all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:deafb362-7fe6-4b24-b429-faa391a9c33a">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your dj needs to resort to this sort of tactic to get people on the dancefloor, then hes doing something wrong.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this 100%.  I think this idea is just making a silly tradition even sillier.  </div>
  • I think it's cute! It's your wedding - the bouquet you toss will just rot anyways. I say toss a gift that may keep on giving ;)
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My florist charges $45 for a tossing bouquet.  I don't see you saving very much money by doing this.  I also think it's a little tacky to throw lottery tickets to be honest.

Like Simply Fated said, your DJ should be good enough at his job to get people on the dance floor without the lure of possibly winning $$ by tearing apart your lottery/oragami bouquet (which I'm sure you'd work way harder on than anyone would appreciate).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:0c48572b-8cc8-4bbf-acbd-dee092f59c7d">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]My florist charges $45 for a tossing bouquet<strong>.  I don't see you saving very much money by doing this</strong>.  I also think it's a little tacky to throw lottery tickets to be honest. Like Simply Fated said, your DJ should be good enough at his job to get people on the dance floor without the lure of possibly winning $$ by tearing apart your lottery/oragami bouquet (which I'm sure you'd work way harder on than anyone would appreciate).
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

I dont think she is trying to save money by doing this. She said she is having a non traditional wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:54c8bc1e-6634-4e4d-8d20-d7f11341ea76">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE] I dont think she is trying to save money by doing this. She said she is having a non traditional wedding.
    Posted by davenport52803[/QUOTE]

Oops!  You are totally right!  Well, I will say that is a very non-traditional spin on tossing your bouquet OP!

What about having a "breakaway" tossing bouquet that separates into several small bouquets or individual flowers?  That way several women get to "catch the bouquet."  Right before you toss it, you pull the string that is holding all the flowers together so no one expects it.  I've heard of such a thing, but never actually seen it at a wedding.

You could also do a "split bouquet" in which you hand out individual stems of your bouquet (you either take it apart or snap them off).  You could attach ribbons with little notes on each one saying anything from "thank you for being here" to "you're next!" to "you will meet Mr. Right tonight"

Also, try inviting ALL the women at the reception to the bouquet toss, not just the single ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:e83a5ca3-a7fd-4bd5-92f3-012c575d0e58">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet : Oops!  You are totally right!  Well, I will say that is a very non-traditional spin on tossing your bouquet OP! What about having a "breakaway" tossing bouquet that separates into several small bouquets or individual flowers?  That way several women get to "catch the bouquet."  Right before you toss it, you pull the string that is holding all the flowers together so no one expects it.  I've heard of such a thing, but never actually seen it at a wedding. You could also do a "split bouquet" in which you hand out individual stems of your bouquet (you either take it apart or snap them off).  <strong>You could attach ribbons with little notes on each one saying anything from "thank you for being here" to "you're next!" to "you will meet Mr. Right tonight"</strong> Also, try inviting ALL the women at the reception to the bouquet toss, not just the single ones.
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

I hate that idea.  Especially the last two "messages."

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:e83a5ca3-a7fd-4bd5-92f3-012c575d0e58">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet : Oops!  You are totally right!  Well, I will say that is a very non-traditional spin on tossing your bouquet OP! What about having a "breakaway" tossing bouquet that separates into several small bouquets or individual flowers?  That way several women get to "catch the bouquet."  Right before you toss it, you pull the string that is holding all the flowers together so no one expects it.  I've heard of such a thing, but never actually seen it at a wedding. You could also do a "split bouquet" in which you hand out individual stems of your bouquet (you either take it apart or snap them off).<strong>  You could attach ribbons with little notes on each one saying anything from "thank you for being here" to "you're next!" to "you will meet Mr. Right tonight" Also, try inviting ALL the women at the reception to the bouquet toss, not just the single ones.
    </strong>Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

Ahh, like a "fortune" bouquet. And if you did it with the scratchers, it's a fortune in more ways than one!!!!

*head meet desk*
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_lottery-ticket-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e8135b9d-ddbe-4ef5-94a7-546ffb98ea13Post:b9b643dd-73f7-486b-ab74-659eb86256c9">Re: Lottery Ticket Bouquet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just skip the bouquet toss altogether. Nobody will miss it.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed. I've always hated this tradition.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think the idea is pretty unique. I don't think its trashy - its kinda fun for a casual wedding. It incorporates the whole "luck" aspect into the boquet toss. Personally, I hate the boquet toss, but if you want to do one, and you are non traditional - go for it! It's unique ;)
  • Well, I think it's a unique idea. I am a pretty unconventional person so I like to tweek tradition to a point. It seems like you know your circle of friends and guests, and if you think they'd enjoy it then go ahead and toss your lottery bouquet. I think people would appreciate the creativity and thought into it, and if they know you at all then they should already know you're not traditional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey I actually love the idea and was thinking of doing something similar.

My fiance and I are also non traditional and are planning some quirky fun reception ideas.

I actually really dislike the real bouquet tossing idea. Also, there won't be a lot of single gals at our wedding so I feel like it would be embarrassing and put a lot of pressure on the few single ladies.

The lottery ticket bouquet would include everyone, and who wouldn't want to win some cash?? Plus, you could keep in touch on your wedding website or via email and ask after the wedding....what did you win?! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards